Talk

Advanced search

Bake off Creme De La Creme

(28 Posts)
GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 19:59:42

Who is watching then?!

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:01:01

Anyone else always avoid the screen for the first few mins to miniseries spoilers? Also whose the new presenter bloke? Can't remember who it was last year now I think about it.

1stDinkyDecker Tue 04-Apr-17 20:02:50

Just flicked over. Angus Deayton is the presenter, used to do Have I got News For You years ago

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Tue 04-Apr-17 20:03:24

Will watch on iplayer as in the middle of bed time. Tom Kerridge presented it last time, who is it this series?

youngestisapsycho Tue 04-Apr-17 20:03:51

What is it?

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:06:30

Ooooh yes I remember Tom. Never heard of new bloke blush Tom K has such an endearing face and way of being. Like new blokes wit though.

youngest it's basically professional patisserie chefs competing against each other to make the best amazing cakes.

LemonRedwood Tue 04-Apr-17 20:09:09

Oh, I liked the army guys last time. Hope they do well again.

Is this the first tv thing Angus has done since being sacked from leaving HIGNFY?

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:16:20

Ooh lemon what is the goss behind the sacking? When was he on HIGNFY?

LemonRedwood Tue 04-Apr-17 20:23:57

I'm guessing you're quite young Gimble grin

He was the original presenter of HIGNFY, from when it started (1990?) for 10 years or so until a tabloid sting involving a prostitute and copious amounts of cocaine. I remember that week's episode being very amusing. Paul Merton had the front page of the paper printed on a t-shirt.

Back to creme de la creme - 2 judges rather than 3? Did whoever was the 3rd one last year realise this programme made her look like an unbearable pretentious twonk and refuse to come back? Do the other two not care about being unbearably pretentious twonks?

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:29:53

Haha I'm busted Lemon I was -1 in 1991 wink but that does sounds like some top 90s salubriousness. I like his VO too, kinda sounds like he doesn't give two hoots but it works.

Ah yeah there was another woman, British right? Maybe she wanted a higher fee but they wouldn't pay. Cherish really annoys me, it all seems like an act rather than her personality but I can imagine she's encouraged to be a poe faced and anal as possible.

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 04-Apr-17 20:30:51

-1 in 1990 rather confused

PonderLand Tue 04-Apr-17 20:52:21

I just turned this on and my old patisserie tutor is competing! Gonna have to watch it on catch-up. From what I remember he was slightly unhinged, so you may be in for an interesting series!

LemonRedwood Tue 04-Apr-17 20:58:50

Yay, army dudes are through!

Took me ages to realise there were 5 teams. Have they changed the format?
Also enjoying to sarcasm from Angus.

AliceKlar Tue 04-Apr-17 21:05:57

Really like Angus D at the helm. Love his sarcasm and coolness. I remember the coke and prostitute scandal when he was presenting HIGNFY.

Was that Fabrice from Leeds City College Ponderland. I remember them saying he is a tutor. They also said he seems in his own little world and not managing the rest of the team.

Really enjoyed this but would like just a bit more positivity from the judges. You get the feeling that no matter how perfect something was it would kill them to actually come out and say it.

PonderLand Tue 04-Apr-17 23:30:41

Yes alice, it's fabrice. From 3 years studying pastry at college I can say that you rarely get positive feedback, but when you do it means a lot. It's very satisfying to see him mess up on puff pastry smile

AliceKlar Wed 05-Apr-17 00:06:35

Ponderland must be satisfying to see your tutor coming in for criticism instead of dishing it out smile His pastry didn't look great even to my untrained eye.

jay55 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:54:35

I watched on catch up. Gosh it was boring until the showstoppers, but then it seemed they were all style over taste.
It feels very unbalanced now, clinical, with no Simon and only the two harsher judges remaining there's no encouragement.
It would be more interesting to film one of the international competitions they keep talking about.

Davros Mon 10-Apr-17 10:32:54

Ah, here you all are! Angus D was a BIG star until he crashed and burned. He was also the neighbour in One Foot in the Grave. I don't mind there being two judges and I think Benoit is quite luvly

Davros Mon 10-Apr-17 10:33:25

Forgot to say, if you want to see the real deal, look up MOF

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 11-Apr-17 11:49:12

Looked up MOF... got the ministry of finance Malaysia... need more google food please! What will I find?!

Davros Tue 11-Apr-17 21:58:48

It's a pastry competition held every 4 years in France. If you look up Kings of Pastry, which is a documentary about it, all will be revealed. If you can see KofP on YouTube it's well worth it

CaveMum Tue 11-Apr-17 22:04:18

Sorry to be a pedant but theyre RAF guys, not army! They're from 28 Squadron which is the catering Wing for the helicopter teams.

<disclaimer> DH is RAF and has worked with some of the catering squadrons wink

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 13-Apr-17 07:28:34

Caught episode 1 last night. 5 teams is too many, I get confused as to who is who. I used to like Angus on HIGNFY, not sure if he is right for this but I didn't like Tom K last year. I like Cherish and Benoit, we all laughed out loud at their facial expressions.

I haven't seen KofP for years, but agree it's compelling viewing.

Davros Sat 15-Apr-17 19:29:53

I'm finding the format confusing. I didn't pay enough attention last week as I was MNing at the same time. I didn't know it would be some of the same teams from last week confused

TesticlesInTheBlender Sat 15-Apr-17 19:37:15

So much better with Angus - Tom K always seemed very scripted and like he needed winding up.

Another vote for the RAF guys here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now