Talk

Advanced search

I'm watching The Gilmore Girls from the beginning and I'm wondering...

(24 Posts)
dustyanswer Sun 02-Apr-17 16:45:09

...is one meant to find the mother really irritating?

I'm new to it & am about halfway through the first season on Netflix. I love it but she (Lorelai, mother of Rory) is soooo bloody annoying! She is unbelievably narcissistic - whenever the grandmother tries to talk to Rory, L has a quick-witted sulk & makes it all about her, and there's her general self-conscious goofiness. And don't get me started on the way she eats!

But I have a horrible feeling we're supposed to think her completely adorable...

SaltyMyDear Sun 02-Apr-17 16:49:00

I agree! I don't like lorelai and often feel far more sympathy for Emily than for her.

Her one liners are generally rude not funny

And I really don't like the way everyone thinks Rory is perfect.

But I think lots of people like Lorelai....

CorporalNobbyNobbs Sun 02-Apr-17 16:49:43

She gets better but yes she can be super annoying!

dustyanswer Sun 02-Apr-17 16:53:57

I'm glad I'm not alone! I thought maybe I was just jealous because she is young & thin with lovely hair & always has witty repartee to hand, whereas I am an old, tired dullard grin

TeaAddict235 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:28:29

No, you're right, Lorelei is annoying, and in fact I like Emily too, and the dad. I find Rory boring and should probably stop watching it at all, but it helps the ironing to be done quicker!

Msqueen33 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:31:01

I enjoyed it when I was younger. Now early 30s with three kids I don't find her as amusing. More dramatic and selfish.

mayaknew Mon 03-Apr-17 15:36:38

I watched it years ago then watched it all again recently before the new episodes came out.

I complete agree I think that lorelai is an ungrateful brat sometimes and I definitely feel sympathy for Emily. Bare with it though she does her her moments and I've lost all sympathy for her in parts. Still even in these times lorelai could handle things much better.

CoffeeAndEnnui Mon 03-Apr-17 15:48:29

My people!

I have found Lorelai Gilmore infuriating from the moment I discovered the show. In fact wearing my judgey face and huffing and tutting at her 'whacky' selfishness became a major factor in my enjoyment.

I also found it massively implausible that such a self-obsessed, self-indulgent, attention seeker would have waited all those years to begin dating again?! I'm holding off on sitting down with the new specials until I need a snarky boost...

DesertIslandPenguin Tue 04-Apr-17 17:39:28

Between Lorelai's selfishness, Rory's treatment of Dean, and the horrible racial stereotyping of Mrs Kim, I wound up ranting at the TV. I suspect I would have enjoyed TGG more if I'd watched it when it initially aired.

Cel982 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:49:58

She's really annoying in her interactions with her parents, but I feel that's probably realistic given the history. I'm watching it properly for the first time having seen lots of random episodes over the years, and am liking Emily much more than I expected.

redexpat Tue 04-Apr-17 17:50:31

I watched 3 seasons on netflix to see what the fuss was about. After 3 seasons I watched the new one and decided that actually I really didnt like Lorelai. Trying to be cute with the park ranger - just show him your permit like everyone else has to! And Kurk.

mayaknew Tue 04-Apr-17 18:31:38

Oh don't even get me started on the new ones redexpat had a rant on here a while ago about them! Completely unbelievable it was supposed to be what 8 years later and NOTHING had changed 😩

TizzyDongue Tue 04-Apr-17 22:09:20

I don't think we are supposed to think her adorable.

All the characters have flaws (some have big ones!) which is why I liked it. More realistic

SpreadYourHappiness Wed 05-Apr-17 01:33:15

mayaknew The OP talks about how she's only seen the first half of series one. This isn't a general whine about GG thread; it's not fair to hint at potential spoilers.

shitgibbon Wed 05-Apr-17 01:52:39

I tried really hard to like it but couldn't. Rory is so dull and Lorelei is irritating.

user1487175389 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:17:15

I love it, even though Rory sounds like she's reading her lines off the back of a coaster, and Lorelai is regularly sulky and rude. Every so often the show reveals something about the human spirit that really resonates with me, in a way no other show has managed. However, Series six is pissing me off more than usual.

Glossolalia Wed 05-Apr-17 23:22:46

I always found Lorelai really irritating. Rory, too.

I agree that Rory is meant to be the perfect child. It's been a few years since I watched it but I think I always found their relationship a bit odd. I don't like that Rory has to mother Lorelai quite a bit.

Lessthanaballpark Wed 05-Apr-17 23:25:51

Yes it took me a while to realise that really they're just selfish irritating up themselves narcissists.

Before that I loved it.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 05-Apr-17 23:30:20

Its all about Stars Hollow for me. I love the town and characters.

teacher54321 Wed 05-Apr-17 23:40:42

I think what it does do well is show how in some families you are always defined by your place/role in the family. When I go home to my parents I revert back to more childish behaviour, and when my siblings are there we're even worse grin Lorelei loves her parents and they love her but they are totally unable to express it in any functional way. I think this is true for lots of people. As a pp said, there are lots of bits in the show that are annoying, but sometimes it really speaks to you in a way that not many other shows do. Greys Anatomy has moments like that too (for me personally).

QuackDuckQuack Wed 05-Apr-17 23:59:56

I'm struggling with teenagers who seem to have relationships with each other that involve the odd brief kiss.

ZilphasHatpin Thu 06-Apr-17 00:06:40

I've never understood the love for Gilmore girls. They're all rage inducingly annoying characters. I watched it in my teens and even then was thinking "wtf is this shit".

AlmaMartyr Thu 06-Apr-17 00:45:05

I was hate-watching it by the end tbh. Lorelei is awful, so rude. Rory just isn't very nice. I did like some of the others a lot though and the whole thing had a kind of quirky charm.

gabsdot Thu 06-Apr-17 14:18:17

I watched the first season and then the new episodes that recently came out.
It was easy to fill in the gaps. I'm glad i didn't bother with the inbetween series.
I found Rory more annoying than Lorelei.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now