Talk

Advanced search

Help with Netflix

(23 Posts)
Alakazam7 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:42:21

I've just signed up for a free trial of Netflix and had a look at it for a couple of evenings.
I can't seem to find anything I want to watch so don't really see the point of it for me.
I'm wondering if I'm missing something about it as I'm not particularly tech savvy or if it's not as good as I thought.
I would be interested in any suggestions of shows to watch and also benefits of having it for those who do subscribe to it.
I was hoping to be able to watch the first two series of Broadchurch on it but it doesn't seem to have those. I think I had the idea that you can watch almost anything on it, sort of a Spotify for tv but don't think it's like that.
I'd be very grateful for any info, thanks

DangerMouse17 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:52:55

Depends what shows you like really...I've watched and enjoyed:

Stranger Things
Orange is the New Black
Power
Daredevil
Van Helsing
Reign
Teen Wolf blush
The Originals
Daredevil
Iron Fist
Peaky Blinders
Poldark
Marco Pole
Medici Masters of Florence

I quite like the stand up comedy as well...

DangerMouse17 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:53:13

Marco polo*

tribpot Tue 28-Mar-17 19:54:33

No, it's not like a Spotify for TV. Netflix has some good stuff but quite a lot of dross. The better things tend to be the Netflix originals (i.e. stuff they commission and broadcast themselves).

There are quite a few recent threads on MN looking for Netflix recommendations, so I would have a read of those to see if anything grabs your attention. Here also is a recent 'best of' list. I am currently watching:

Grace and Frankie - Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin being generally awesome
Designated Survivor - Keifer Sutherland plays a mild-mannered housing and development secretary who becomes President after the cabinet is killed
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - musical comedy sitcom

Also waiting for the next series of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Tina Fey's crazy sitcom and Orange is the New Black - prison comedy / drama

Planning to watch The People vs OJ Simpson because I think Sarah Paulson is amazing, and I'm most of the way through Fringe - sci-fi drama.

There's a lot of good stuff on it but if you've got something very specific in mind you may want to try and find out which platform (if any) has it. Broadchurch I think is on Now TV.

Alakazam7 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:53:04

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the other threads you suggested trib and work my way through looking at the other suggestions too. Perhaps I'll find something of interest.
It seems like it's not quite what I thought it was!

Graphista Sat 01-Apr-17 07:58:35

I'd recommend adding the fan page for your region on Fb too, uk&ireland one tells you when stuff added/removed from their catalogue, plus their official page for your region.

Tribpot you got my hopes up, no fringe on uk Netflix. sad

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 01-Apr-17 08:01:17

I've worked y way through most of the documentaries, some great ones on there

Destinysdaughter Sat 01-Apr-17 08:03:39

Black Mirror is excellent!

tribpot Sat 01-Apr-17 08:06:00

Oh no Graphista, I hadn't realised it had gone - I hadn't finished watching it. It left in August last year.

RainbowChasing Sat 01-Apr-17 08:12:43

You'd be better off with NowTV entertainment package as there are a lot of ITV/British series on it (including Broadchurch) plus the American series too. I've got both and thought I'd watch Netflix more but I'm on NowTV about 80% of my tv watching time.

Graphista Sat 01-Apr-17 08:17:31

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news sad

NormaSmuff Sat 01-Apr-17 08:21:08

dont forget Breaking Bad,
award winning, fantastic addictive show

ThoraGruntwhistle Sat 01-Apr-17 08:23:17

Unbeeakable Kimmy Schmidt and House of Cards are both brilliant. The trouble with Netflix is that you need to browse through it and find something you fancy. If there's a film or TV show you actually feel the sudden urge to watch, and you search for it, it's very rarely available.

hellokittymania Sat 01-Apr-17 08:37:28

I found a website the other day Cold new on Netflix UK and you can see shows that are leaving and new additions and also browse their entire catalog. I found a lot of things on there that I did not find just by browsing on the Netflix App

hellokittymania Sat 01-Apr-17 08:42:29

Orange is the new black is good.

I watched two documentaries that expired today and both were very good. One was about extreme sports and the other was about a free school, that one was a bit disturbing though

Some things or just added and there is a series called addicted food, about people with eating disorders and there was a documentary on the girl who was kidnapped for 18 years which I watched this morning.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 01-Apr-17 09:00:26

I think it's better to see Netflix as a TV channel, but one with loads of content and all on-demand rather than broadcast.

NOW TV is better as a catch-up service for UK series you may have missed.

We have Amazon Prime, Netflix AND Now TV - what I'd really like is a website which combines the listings for all three as I get fed up hunting to see what's available.

RainbowChasing Sat 01-Apr-17 10:29:59

Snap, Bubbins. If the three were combined it would be perfect!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 01-Apr-17 10:33:22

I think if you access them all through a youview box you can just search for anything and it will automatically take you to the place you can get it - whether that's Sky, iplayer, All4, NetFlix etc.

ZilphasHatpin Sat 01-Apr-17 10:36:07

Suits is good.

Mysterycat23 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:40:11

We look at the recently added list and also browse by genre. Not afraid to start watching something and turn it off if it's rubbish! Agree with pp it's more like a tv channel that's on demand, the content can be random. It's not a place to watch specific series as it's so random.

We loved better call Saul, Jack Taylor, line of duty... and white chicks is still there blush

SingingSilver Sat 01-Apr-17 12:51:37

Your first port of call on Netflix should be their original content - Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, etc.

They do have a lot of TV shows, but no one site has everything.

ElspethFlashman Sat 01-Apr-17 12:58:28

I'm on the free trial at the moment and have already watched Stranger Things (really really creepy but fantastic), Kimmy Schmidt and Crazy Ex Girlfriend which are both hugely enjoyable. Oh and Jane The Virgin is fantastic.

My DH doesn't watch those last three as they're a bit girly for him, so we've also started Jessica Jones (David Tennant being creepy) and Bloodlines (family secrets in the Florida Keys)

I've tried Orange is the New Black but don't like it. I've watched Breaking Bad before and it's amazing and will probably get around to the spin off, Better Call Saul.

The People vs OJ Simpson was one of the best things I've seen all year.

We treat it just as an additional TV channel. It doesn't replace terrestrial TV for me. It's handy when there's nothing on.

Summerisdone Sun 02-Apr-17 12:23:19

I love Netflix and would be lost without it, though it does depend on what you're wanting to get out of it. If you're looking for movies then tbh I think you'll be quite let down as I don't think they have a fantastic collection of movies, but then again that could just be me and what movies I like to watch. The TV shows available though I think are brilliant, they have such a wide range that there is something for everyone.

Like another PP suggested, looking through some other threads is a good idea to get suggestions on what shows to watch, then once you have watched a few shows you like Netflix's algorithm will get a sense for what you like to watch and other things in a similar style will start to be recommended to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now