Talk

Advanced search

Turkey with Simon Reeve

(9 Posts)
notaflyingmonkey Tue 28-Mar-17 06:53:04

Anyone else watch this? It's the first part of a series, where he travels around Turkey. I thought that it was something of a whitewash of President Erdogan's policies (for example in how the Syrian refugees are treated).

cushioncovers Tue 28-Mar-17 08:16:26

Yes I'm watching

Frith2013 Tue 28-Mar-17 23:57:02

I thought he was Ed Petrie from CBBC for a while, which was confusing.

HatHen Wed 29-Mar-17 00:08:18

I watched the first part. I believe it was great, it gave a much more honest insight and a balanced view on Erdogan than what has been portrayed in the media here and in the US.

Erdogan I am sure has made many mistakes but the amount that Erdogan has done for refugees and the poor in his country is simply amazing, and this can't be ignored. I haven't heard of any leader across the world who has done so much for those disadvantaged. He has restored my faith in humanity.

notaflyingmonkey Wed 29-Mar-17 07:17:01

Like allowing their trafficking? Or allowing Turks to sell them life jackets that were filled with straw? Or for refugee children to be working in sweatshops?

HatHen Wed 29-Mar-17 11:09:54

notaflyingmonkey what evidence do you have that he facilitated that? He has built excellent refugee camps, and given refuge to the largest number of refugees in the world. Which leader in the world has done that? Ours doesn't want to even take in a couple of thousand. Says alot.

notaflyingmonkey Wed 29-Mar-17 19:53:05

Erdogan puts up with the camps in exchange for deals from Europe - eg the recent arms deal done with the UK.

He closed down the camp in Diyarbakir which was set up to help the Yezidi refugees. The Yezidis - many of whom had been held as sex slaves by Isis - are now living on the streets, reliant on hand outs.

He gives Isis free passage across the borders, and treatment in the hospitals.

HatHen Wed 29-Mar-17 22:53:04

So lets say for a second he does put them up because of the arm deals. Why would he go out of his way to make them the best type of refugee camps the world has ever seen if he is such a selfish git?

HatHen Wed 29-Mar-17 23:00:52

Why is Europe not building refugee camps in their own countries instead of paying him to build them? Especially, as you claim he is allowing and perpertating such criminal acts? Why would Europe allow him and indirectly pay him to conduct such alleged acts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now