Talk

Advanced search

Okay, so I've just finished series 1 of Broadchurch and I've got some questions... *Warning: massive spoilers discussed*

(5 Posts)
KitKat1985 Fri 24-Mar-17 08:34:00

Right, I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm using some of my maternity leave to catch up on all the good TV I've missed whilst I've been at work. grin

I've just finished series 1 of Broadchurch and there were a couple of issues I didn't fully understand, so was wondering if any wise Mumsnetters could advise?

1) What was the significance of Danny having an argument with the postman? Or was this just a red herring?

2) Why did the reverend say that he had spoken to both Tom and Danny's parents about them fighting, but Ellie denied knowing about this, and was unaware the boy's weren't getting on. Are we to assume the reverend told Joe and Joe chose to keep this quiet to avoid attracting attention to himself in the investigation?

3) Was there any significance to the cocaine found in Chloe's bedroom, or was this a red herring also?

4) Why did Nigel not tell the Lattimer family that he was taking Danny off to hunt animals on the estate?

Best just add I've not started series 2 yet so no series 2 / 3 spoilers please! smile

RhuBarbarella Fri 24-Mar-17 08:38:49

1. Red herring
2. Yes, just Joe I guess.
3. Another red one
4. Ellie doesn't approve of guns, so no paint ball and no hunting is what I thought.

Just watched it myself. smile Bit grim though, wasn't it. Very sad. I haven't the stomach for more.

KitKat1985 Fri 24-Mar-17 08:54:12

Ahh thank you RhuBarella. I wasn't sure if I had just missed a couple of bits that explained those plot threads, or if they were just red herrings.

I have to say I did really enjoy it and will watch the next series (although being a nurse my 'grim' factor is probably set a bit higher than most)! My only real frustration with it was some of the plot line was very inconsistent with how I imagine the police would run a real investigation. E.G, given that Becca was Mark's alibi and they were having sex together on the night of the murder, I can't imagine a real DI would stay in her hotel, much less proposition her. Also bits like where they allowed Nigel to phone Mark after he was arrested, and allowing Mark to speak to Joe in his cell after he had been charged, all frustrated me slightly. I'm also not convinced Ellie would have been allowed to have worked on the case given how closely she knew the Latimer family personally. I accept that I may need to remember that the series is fictional!

RhuBarbarella Fri 24-Mar-17 09:46:05

Yeah, it was a bit silly at points. I was a bit hmm as well .
And I can handle grim but it needs to be a bit lighter too, like in the Bridge or the Killing, the Scandi versions. I don't mind a bit of a laugh here and there, even if it's a cynical one. British crime tends to slap on the drama a bit much. Oh, we have alcoholism, dead children, adultery, paedophiles, drug use, teen sex, now what else..
I do like watching David Tennant and what's her name, she's good.

KitKat1985 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:58:26

I'd watch anything with David Tennant in to be honest. [swoons]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now