Talk

Advanced search

Magnificent century

(6 Posts)
sassolino Mon 20-Mar-17 18:06:55

Is anyone watching it on Netflix. I'm totally hooked. None of my friends watch it, and I have noone to discuss it with.
Tried to search on MN, but couldn't find a discussion thread here. Such a lavish costume drama.
Love the music, especially Pargali and Hadice theme.
There are four seasons apparently, but only season 1 available on Netflix.
Anyone? smile

CoolCarrie Tue 21-Mar-17 13:49:30

Just looked it up and it does look very interesting, going to have a look for it on Netflix tonight. Thanks for the heads up

sassolino Tue 21-Mar-17 16:19:44

Oh, do tell me what you think. smile I've almost finished the 1st series.

ginghamstarfish Wed 22-Mar-17 14:15:53

Oh yes, I have just watched ep 57 (these are the 2-hour eps on Youtube). Started on Netflix, then found it on Youtube - it has its own channel, but no subtitles. However you can find a lot of eps subtitled if you search. It is splendid - the intrigue, the power struggles, the romances, the costumes ... amazing that it's been so popular around the world but no channel here thought it worth showing. If you're interested, there is also another Turkish series on Netflix, called '1001 Gece' (1001 Nights), a modern drama starring the actor who plays the Sultan. It's a bit melodramatic, but enjoyable, with lovely views of Istanbul.

sassolino Wed 22-Mar-17 22:14:38

Thank you, gingham, haven't heard of the other series. I must start watching series 2 of MC on Youtube. I also have a book called Roxolana, about Hurrem. My Mum gave it to me last year, and I had no chance to read it yet.

ginghamstarfish Thu 23-Mar-17 22:25:09

When you've finished series 2, if you decide to look on YouTube then bear in mind that the Netflix episodes are 1 hour, but on YT are 2 hours, so you have to calculate where to start -I think it I was episode 24 .... Hurrem certainly must have been an amazing woman, , lucky you to have a book about her! I have just read a book about harem life in general and that was fascinating.
Forgot to say that the other Turkish series does have subtitles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now