Talk

Advanced search

Mystery of the Man on the Moor

(15 Posts)
purpleme12 Fri 17-Mar-17 00:16:09

Did anyone watch this? I found it quite chilling. I really wanted some answers. Feel quite sad that there won't ever be any and sad for David

crunched Fri 17-Mar-17 00:17:53

Left me with a lot more questions than answers.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 17-Mar-17 06:58:35

I didn't watch but listened to a series of R4 podcasts made over the course of the investigation this week. It is a sad tale but I found it moving that such great efforts were made to identify him and fascinating how they went about it.

Babymamamama Fri 17-Mar-17 07:01:26

I felt like the person who helped him buy his place in Pakistan must have cleared out his bank account and left him penniless. It was very bizarre though.

buggerthebotox Fri 17-Mar-17 07:04:34

When was this on? spent last night watching Line of Duty again.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 17-Mar-17 07:11:40

Last night, quite late. I think I will watch it, the podcasts were purely about the investigation process and stopped before the final identification took place.

BringMeTea Fri 17-Mar-17 08:30:19

Yes I was rather hopeful for a bigger reveal. Great they did identify him but so bloody puzzling in so many ways. Also, watching the Dr Blake Mysteries grin tells me that strychnine poisoning involves violent convulsions yet he is reported as being found arms by side, almost peaceful looking. Why was he there?

buggerthebotox Fri 17-Mar-17 17:33:46

I was wondering about the apparent peacefulness of his death, too.

I thought it was an interesting enough programme, but too much talking and not enough analysis for my liking.

Palomb Fri 17-Mar-17 17:36:33

I've been keeping up with the story in the news and already knew everybing they talked about. I was hoping for a bit more new info!

I recon he killed himself there to cause as much confusion as possible.

I want to know where his luggage went.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 17-Mar-17 17:40:39

all sounded well dodgy to me.we'll never know i guess.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 17-Mar-17 17:41:22

we'll never know

hackmum Fri 17-Mar-17 18:49:13

Haven't watched the programme yet, but I have followed the case closely and I agree there are lots of unanswered questions.

He had a friend from Pakistan who met him at Heathrow. Why didn't he come forward when the body was found and CCTV footage released? Did that person ever report him missing?

Why, as BringMeTea said, did his body look so peaceful? Is it possible that someone put strychnine in his medication to kill him and then posed the body to look peaceful? Could that same person have stolen his wallet and phone after death?

Why did he book into a hotel in Ealing for three nights and then only stay for one? Why did he buy a return ticket to Manchester?

What is his connection with Pakistan? Why did he go there in the first place?

When he arrived at Manchester Piccadilly, he hung around for at least an hour before leaving. There is no evidence that he took a bus or taxi from there. How did he get to Saddleworth Moor? Is it possible that he had arranged to meet someone who gave him a lift? And if so, who and where is that person?

Polarbearflavour Sat 18-Mar-17 14:39:45

I too am confused about the friend from Pakistan - apparently they knew each other for 30 years and originally flew out to Pakistan together? Him and David were meant to meet up again but his friend didn't think to wonder where he was?

The story and David's picture was very well publicised but the friend/brother/ex girlfriend never came forward until David had already been identified and the police traced them?

The missing 100k in Pakistan sounds suspect.

Why did David's brother receive letters from him postmarked California?

PhilODox Sat 18-Mar-17 14:45:46

I haven't seen the programme, but i have found the case utterly compelling. Such a mystery.
Why would he have moved to Pakistan, but told.neighbours he was going to the us?
Does anyone wonder if he has Aspergers, from the descriptions of his manner and behaviour?

hackmum Sat 18-Mar-17 15:30:45

I finally watched the programme last night. Didn't think it was very good (they completely left out the detail that they'd worked out he must have flown from Pakistan to Heathrow until they suddenly revealed that they'd found him on the passenger list) but agree that the mystery deepened even further. Why did he move to Pakistan? He apparently hated hot weather and never even learnt the language. Of all the places you might emigrate to, it's hardly an obvious candidate for a white British Jew who doesn't like the heat.

And why was he in such a hurry to get back to the UK? Why Saddleworth Moor? And, as Polarbear says, the missing money sounds fishy. His luggage and passport went missing too. I can't help thinking he must have been involved in something dodgy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now