Talk

Advanced search

Call The Midwife - **Spoiler Alert** Title edited by MNHQ

(251 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 12-Mar-17 21:25:08

Last thread is full. So a last thread to finish the series ...

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sun 12-Mar-17 21:33:24

I tried to post on the last thread but was too late!!

I hadn't realised quite how fit Tom was until I saw him in that vest, lucky Barbara!!

Cried all the way through tonights episode and am so sad the series is over, its my favourite show sad

legodisasterzone Sun 12-Mar-17 21:33:55

I love CTM but I felt like it was all rushed tonight-all the loose ends seemed to be tied up in the last 15 minutes.
Loved Barbara's cloak though!

PoloZolo Sun 12-Mar-17 21:34:56

Great finale! So looking forward to the Christmas special and next series already.

Anyone got any predictions on what's going to happen next?

legodisasterzone Sun 12-Mar-17 21:34:57

Oh,Tom is FIT smile
Those dimples!

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 12-Mar-17 21:36:14

Apart from the singing and the dr being on the bed they'd managed to keep the tweeness to a minimum. Until the bloody great carousel.

Still, it was a good episode.

LittleCandle Sun 12-Mar-17 21:36:26

Thank goodness I'm not the only person who cried all the way through! A disheveled Tom is absolutely stunning! Barbara looked lovely in the cloak, but couldn't they have got her a nicer frock? Loved the carousel idea. Very moving. And Trixie doing the dying woman's make up was so nice.

I'm going to miss this show until it comes back on.

FrancisCrawford Sun 12-Mar-17 21:38:12

Vicar in his vest = wow!
Amazing how different he looks without the Brylcreme.

Loved Barbara telling Phyllis what a good friend she is.

Am a bit perplexed though - Trixie seems to have at least two new outfits per episode but Barbara has to count each penny. Would their salaries really be that different?

Braceybracegirl Sun 12-Mar-17 21:38:49

Why did Wilma die? I know she was taking the pill.

Bestthingever Sun 12-Mar-17 21:42:12

Yes it was rushed. Perhaps they could have left the bit about the drawbacks of the pill til the next series as they had plenty to fill up the episode.

RachelRagged Sun 12-Mar-17 21:42:39

Cloak that's the word .. Put on my facebook and called it a cape .. It was very lovely .

I was surprised at that poor mum's death though . I had no idea there had been contraceptive pill casualties in their infancy .

WinterHoliday Sun 12-Mar-17 21:45:47

I was so happy to see Reggie back. I hope he'll become a regular character.

Loved Barbara asking Phyllis to be her bridesmaid. And I loved the carousel.

Glad Patsy and Delia finally got to kiss on screen but was disappointed Patsy wasn't back earlier in the episode. And no mention of Cynthia.

Do we know what Shelagh's baby's name is? I was thinking Julian would be a good choice after Sister Julienne.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 12-Mar-17 21:45:55

I wonder that Trixie doesn't get some kind of allowance from her father or some such.

or she's on the game

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sun 12-Mar-17 21:49:43

Wilma suffered a pulmonary embolism (blood clot on the lung), which followed the blood clot in her leg ("I think I've pulled a muscle from all the walking"). It is a recognised (nowadays) but rare complication of the pill

Sunnymeg Sun 12-Mar-17 21:52:09

The first contraceptive pills were much stronger than today's. Wilma doubled her dose at one point , which would have been very dangerous back then. Also as less was known about its possible side effects, it was sometimes prescribed to women who would not have been given it in more recent times due to high blood pressure etc.

I presume that this episode was written and filmed before the series had been recommissioned, as all the loone ends were tied up so nicely. Doubtless the Christmas Special will unpick a few. I am just wondering how the vicar got hold of a fairground carousel on the morning of the wedding pre Internet. It worked very well as a final montages for all the characters, but didn't seem that realistic to me.

I have never ever though the vicar was hot until he answered the door hungover and dishevelled. I came over all unnecessary I so would when I seen him.
I don't generally mind the turners but the singing tonight made me cringe.

Beingrippedoff Sun 12-Mar-17 21:57:22

So happy that shelagh's baby arrived safely and is well. Fantastic episode tonight and I agree swoon at vicar in a vest with tousled hair! Most unexpected grin

SoupDragon Sun 12-Mar-17 21:58:20

Awwww! He hired her a carousel!!

I loved her cloak but thought her dress was awful. But, I guess it was rushed and styles were more demure, especially as a vicars wife and daughter.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Mar-17 21:58:57

And yes, the vest clad hungover vicar was a nice touch!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 12-Mar-17 22:03:17

I was wondering how he got the carousel so quickly. And it would have taken much longer than the length of the wedding to assemble.

Raahh Sun 12-Mar-17 22:06:27

I've just caught up. Nice bit of Billy Fury at the end. My mum loves Billy Fury.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 12-Mar-17 22:10:09

I had no idea the pill could cause blood clots. Apparently its still a risk, especially if you're over 35 and a smoker.

LottieDoubtie Sun 12-Mar-17 22:14:01

I came on (late) to say has the vicar always been that hot! shock

But I see it's more or less already been said. After the vest scene I see him in a whole new light - lucky Barbara...

I think the pill storyline was a little bit scary- not properly explained why she died. Also sr julienne seemed very accepting of the whole contraception thing...

The diaphragm scenes were hilarious though!

talkingtoclarry Sun 12-Mar-17 22:15:11

My mum suffered with a blood clot in the late 90s due to the pill. Went to the drs complaining of having a pain in her leg for a couple of days and was immediately blue lighted to hospital. Was ok, had all the blood thinners, etc but never took the pill again. Her cousin had a similar experience and I've never taken the pill because of it.

KnockMeDown Sun 12-Mar-17 22:16:55

Another one here who literally sobbed through the whole episode. When is the next series?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now