Talk

Advanced search

Big Little Lies, we have to don't we? Edited by MNHQ **UK pace**

(263 Posts)
EachandEveryone Wed 08-Mar-17 15:08:35

Is this going to be our new Revenge/Desparate Housewives fix? www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/17/big-little-lies-nicole-kidman-and-reese-witherspoon-shine-in-masterful-twist-on-desperate-housewives

Sammysquiz Wed 08-Mar-17 17:57:56

I loved the book it's based on (by Lianne Moriarty), really recommend it.

WandaBack Wed 08-Mar-17 18:16:09

I loved the book as well, in fact I like most of Lianne Moriarty's books. They've moved the setting to USA but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
The book is about one event, so one season perhaps? I can see that it could have potential for more seasons.

ItsJustACompanyPolicyOfMine Wed 08-Mar-17 18:22:47

Oh ffs it's on Sky Atlantic which I don't have sad it looks great angry

EachandEveryone Mon 13-Mar-17 17:25:49

I can't bloody wait Monday nights are fab!

DispatchReady Mon 13-Mar-17 20:02:07

Ooh this sounds like my kind of thing! Presumably will be on Now TV as I don't get Atlantic...

EachandEveryone Mon 13-Mar-17 21:28:54

Im saving it for tomorrow night

gingina Mon 13-Mar-17 22:35:37

I have just finished the book and loved it
Hope the series is as good

youngestisapsycho Mon 13-Mar-17 22:55:13

I enjoyed it.... according to Wikipedia it's 7 episodes.

buckeejit Mon 13-Mar-17 23:23:01

Just read the book a couple of weeks ago & watched tonight. Was good. Also wish it was in Oz though

QuinoaKeen Mon 13-Mar-17 23:26:36

I'm in Oz and have been watching it in Foxtel.
It's great. Reese is brilliant, Zoe Kravitz is good and the kids are all really good actors. BUT Nicole Kidman is a terrible choice for Celeste. She's so frozen and wooden and... just not right. It's painful for me to watch.

QuinoaKeen Mon 13-Mar-17 23:26:57

on Foxtel.

hudyerwheesht Tue 14-Mar-17 12:43:57

It's on Now tv for anyone who doesn't have sky.
I've read the book and second the recommendations but also agree Nicole Kidman isn't right for Celeste, she's not coming off as the effortlessly glamorous character of the book. Reese Witherspoon is spot on though.

iamdivergent Tue 14-Mar-17 13:25:09

Just watched episode 1 - really enjoyed it. Totally agree about NK but I'm not keen on her anyway. Reese is perfect for Madeline.

JaneEyre70 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:27:02

OMG I loved this!!! What a show. Really didn't like NK in it, she's such a wooden stilted actress with a weird head tilt thing going on, but thought RW was outstanding. Can't wait for more. Am addicted to Billions too, and This is Us. Some very good shows coming from US at mo.

WhyOhWine Tue 14-Mar-17 17:33:12

I have read the book but not seen this (dont have that channel). I agree Reece Witherspoon is spot on casting, and Shailene Woodley pretty good too. I also thought Nicole Kidman was a poor choice for Celeste. This is without having seen it, just read who is in it!

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Mar-17 17:39:00

NK and RW are the owners of film rights and producers I believe hence self casting!

Hope it sticks to book - already saw a gun in trailers hmm

Ulysses Tue 14-Mar-17 17:49:22

I've been watching this at US pace so am up to episode 4. It's excellent and is making me want to ready the book to find out how it pans out! The setting is gorgeous. Every time Celeste appears I kind of get blind sided about the amount of work Nicole Kidman has had done. Definitely a boob job going on there! Reese Witherspoon is fab.

EachandEveryone Tue 14-Mar-17 22:11:34

I thought nicole had padding in her bra if you looked at her at the oscars there was no boob job there.

Did anyone else spend the whole episode wondering where they had seen the actors before?

QuinoaKeen Tue 14-Mar-17 22:11:37

Yes, the characters keep referring to how 'beautiful' Celeste is, as if they're trying to convince us...

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but @Ulysses the series has stayed very true to the book so far except for the storyline going on with Reese Witherspoon's character in episode four. The rest is all in the book.

iamdivergent Wed 15-Mar-17 06:54:10

Madelines husband is Will Farrels dick head brother in Step Brothers. Her exs wife is Lenny Kravitz's daughter and she was in the Divergent movies as Jane/Shailene Woodleys best friend.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 15-Mar-17 14:25:29

Just watched the first 3 episodes. I think I've guessed a 'twist' but won't speculate just in case.

Really enjoying it. Fab to see so many great actresses/actors together on the small screen although I'm not really buying Nicole Kidmans character at the moment.

Other thing is, it was billed as comedy drama. Don't think there have been many laughs in it so far (or even dark humour) confused

Enjoying seeing Ben from Parks & Recs with a beard though grin

juneau Wed 15-Mar-17 14:26:12

Just watched this on catch-up and I'm not sure about it yet. TBH the syrupy-sweet, fake-smiley 'friendliness' really sets my teeth on edge, so looking forward to it getting darker!

GurneyGob Wed 15-Mar-17 14:36:35

I'm quite liking it. NK is very wooden. Perhaps they used a body double for her topless scenes.

DispatchReady Wed 15-Mar-17 16:09:13

Only seen the first episode and haven't read the book so can't comment on NK not being right for the role but overall enjoyed it. RW seemed to be reviving her character in Legally Blonde at first but I liked it!

Gorgeous houses too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now