Talk

Advanced search

painting challenge

(14 Posts)
RedBugMug Thu 02-Mar-17 18:28:15

great programme.
I want neeeeeeed one of the elephant pictures, they are so lovely.

RedBugMug Thu 02-Mar-17 18:31:06

as for the mentor is the red overall <swoon>

DalekBred Fri 03-Mar-17 16:28:31

Red overall man looks like hes moonlighting in a Queen/Village people tribute act!

We are commenting -0well, I am anyway!_ on the portrait artist thread about this programme too. theres a bit more traffic on that one.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/2848868-Portrait-artist-of-the-year-anyone-watching?

Archimandrite Sun 05-Mar-17 16:59:56

I'm really enjoying it but starting to get annoyed with 'hair woman.' She seems to be a one-trick pony wafting her hair extensions over the canvas. The fact that she ended up with something vaguely resembling an elephant seemed to be more good luck than anything else. I know sod all about art though so maybe I'm missing something.

I think most of the artists also seem to be really struggling with the challenges so far. If you know anything about art, can you say what you think the standard is like?

RedBugMug Sun 05-Mar-17 17:35:12

hair woman doesn't seem to do well with the briefs.
my 10yo dc really likes it and seems to get good inspiration. has to finish a homework project on architecture and instead of just printing out pictures of different style houses has scetched and painted some.

Archimandrite Sun 05-Mar-17 21:21:45

Did you watch tonight's? It's great that your 10 year old is able to take something so useful and important away from the prog and apply it to his homework.

DalekBred Mon 06-Mar-17 15:56:19

Hair woman did a good Floalla body, but made her face look distorted! As foir her self portrait, I think she should submit that to Doctor Who as a future alien! grin.

Cant remember the 'serious' looking guys name but his selfie was brilliant, Rippon was not.

Im liking Sumas stuff best, its not brilliant, but its the best of a bad bunch, as well as serious man usually.

think the Scottish critic is a bit harsh.

Archimandrite Mon 06-Mar-17 16:47:29

I was so surprised when Hair Woman had a decent stab at her Floella portrait. It makes me wonder why she has so steadfastly refused to attempt anything resembling reality before, despite being asked to by the judges and mentors. Her self portrait was like Munch's Scream but more sorted melted looking. Dreadful.

Is Serious Guy Alan or David? I thought both of them did really well. Sad Angela went but Ruaridh's stuff all looked a bit 'lurid' to me. Though I admit I know nothing.

DalekBred Tue 07-Mar-17 15:54:50

David I think it is. Is Alan the one that said he had a pea head? Chinese looking?

If its David, I do normally like what he does.

Archimandrite Tue 07-Mar-17 16:14:53

Yes I think that's right Dalek. David is the one that kept doing the impressionist looking stuff in quite bright colours I think.

RedBugMug Wed 08-Mar-17 18:41:00

jenni? is just not very good with details. I like the use of colour but the elephant looked like something an 18m old can do...

Heinousfauxpas Wed 08-Mar-17 19:28:35

Red I get the feeling that the fact that there was something vaguely elephant-like on the canvas by the end, was more to bloody good luck than good management on Jenni's part.

DalekBred Mon 13-Mar-17 15:54:34

Awww. Jimmy. Bless him, I actually liked his painting, and Alans, I liked the use of red in the background.

Thought Suman and Davids were the best. Hope one of theose 2 wins the series. Better not be hair girl!

DalekBred Mon 20-Mar-17 15:49:06

yeaaaassss! Glad Suman on, it was either her or David.

Prefeered Davids landscape and portrait but as long as hair girl didn't win, although her landscape wasn't too bad.

again, she made her mum look like a Dr Who monster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now