Talk

Advanced search

A thought just struck me about the series Northern Exposure

(51 Posts)
TimTamTerrier Mon 20-Feb-17 14:59:31

I don't know whether my memory is faulty, but it just occurred to me that there were no children in it. Not just that the main characters didn't have children, but I don't remember there being any children at all, not even in background, non-speaking parts or walking around in the town.

Am I mis-remembering, it is over 20 years ago after all? If not, why didn't it strike me as odd at the time?

TimTamTerrier Mon 20-Feb-17 20:03:20

Somebody else must have watched it too. I'm not that much older than the rest of you.

Lifeisdinky Mon 20-Feb-17 20:13:29

I think the ex beauty queen (?) who married the bar owner had children with him - at least one.
I want to say that Ed (First Nations people/ Native American) did also, but that I am less sure about

I could just Wiki it but I want to somehow recall the stories and characters

TimTamTerrier Mon 20-Feb-17 20:30:14

I didn't watch it all the way to the final series, I don't remember Shelly having a child, although I have a vague memory of her being pregnant, but that could just be power of suggestion by you. I definitely don't remember Ed having a child (I fancied him, and the DJ bloke played by John Corbett).

annandale Mon 20-Feb-17 20:35:05

Interesting. I don't remember any kids either. That's weird now you've said it.

I think not having kids helped it not be cute. It was quirky but not cute. I don't remember kids not being cute on screen until The Addams Family films (apart from horror films which I don't watch).

Actually, hang on, were there some First Nations children?

diddl Mon 20-Feb-17 20:42:53

I don't remember any either!

My goodness I loved that programme!

Rhubarb01 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:44:56

Didn't the (I'm not sure how to phrase this correctly) native American lady in the doctor's surgery have a baby she kept in the office - or am I confusing this with the receptionist in the Brittas Empire who kept her baby in the bottom drawer? I now have to confess I've got a box set of Northern Exposure I haven't got around to watching yet. I used to love the whole Joel and Maggie 'will they won't they' scenario.

TimTamTerrier Mon 20-Feb-17 23:11:30

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about The Brittas Empire there Rhubarb, the receptionist had twins and kept them in a drawer. I think they even turned out to be Brittas' twins, some confusion at a fancy dress party when the receptionist was wearing the same costume as his wife as far as I remember.

Usually in those sort of small town dramas there is a character who is a school teacher, but not in Northern Exposure. There was definitely references made about handing traditions down to the younger generation of native Americans, but no visible children. I might have to watch it all again. grin Just to make sure.

Groovester Mon 20-Feb-17 23:15:33

Can't remember. Loved the programme though.

tribpot Mon 20-Feb-17 23:20:26

I seem to remember Chris/Aiden-out-of-Sex-and-the-City teaching children how to chop wood or something?

Did Joel ever treat a child for anything?

But you're right, I don't seem to remember the main characters having kids.

From a brief look at the Episode List on Wiki, Shelly and Holling did have a baby, as did Adam and Eve.

noschooll4mee Mon 20-Feb-17 23:24:21

I don't remember any either🤔... I did love it so ....star

cordeliavorkosigan Mon 20-Feb-17 23:25:18

Yes Shelly and Hawling had a baby eventually, and there was a fun phase where she sang everything she wanted to say, but I don't remember any other kids who were actual characters. Some kids passed through an episode now and again. Is it available digitally? Would love to go back and watch it again!

ImtheSantaAnaWinds Mon 20-Feb-17 23:27:32

I think I remember kids, but I could be totally misremembering. I loved that show. There must have been kids brought to see Joel?

tribpot Mon 20-Feb-17 23:30:46

I wonder if it was representative of Talkeetna, the place it is said to be based on? (They have a cat as the mayor .. in real life, I mean). Nearly 50% of households are 'non-families'.

It seems like the problem with streaming may relate to rights for the music played in the episodes. It is available on DVD.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 20-Feb-17 23:34:22

Rhubarb I think you are right about the receptionist having a baby. And Shelley was pregnant (I don't remember the baby though?. But I don't remember any other children appearing, certainly not any who had an actual role.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 20-Feb-17 23:36:55

Didn't Shelley have a baby? I can't remember either confused I was a long time ago to be fair! I remember her being pregnant.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 20-Feb-17 23:38:25

Xpost! She definitely was pg then. And had an invisible kid.

JaneJeffer Tue 21-Feb-17 00:09:10

Wasn't the receptionist pregnant and didn't tell Joel until she had the baby? Or maybe not!

It was such a good programme. I loved the episode when they were dreaming other people's dreams. I always think of it if I dream about people and places I don't know.

Chrisinthemorning Tue 21-Feb-17 07:30:34

Need to re watch definitely

diddl Tue 21-Feb-17 08:49:39

I've just looked on youtube & all I can find is an out of sync one.

The bit I watched made me chuckle though!

Loved the characters, loved the music!

AlistairSim Tue 21-Feb-17 08:54:49

That was a great series, I really want to watch it again now!

TheLivingAsheth Tue 21-Feb-17 08:56:28

I used to really fancy Joel. I don't know why, when Chris-in-the-morning was around, and Ed....

Velvian Tue 21-Feb-17 08:56:50

I loved Northern Exposure; was there a family that lived in some kind of eco house? My memory is terrible.

diddl Tue 21-Feb-17 09:15:41

Ooh yes, Chris, the gorgeous John Corbett.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 21-Feb-17 09:19:14

Have you all seen Joel Flashman now? Aged very wellwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now