Talk

Advanced search

Death in Paradise - the new Inspector

(48 Posts)
Clawdy Fri 17-Feb-17 22:46:56

I like him, and think he's going to be good. DH says it's played itself out now, and the next series won't be worth watching. The one thing we both agree on is that the daughter is awful. Hope she's not in the next series.

IlsaLund Fri 17-Feb-17 22:51:10

I can't see Ardal O'Hanlan without seeing Father Dougal McGuire!

Berthatydfil Fri 17-Feb-17 22:51:48

I liked him too.

pluck Fri 17-Feb-17 23:02:44

Oooh, Dougal the Detective? Might start watching again. I had to stop after that idiotic plotline about: "it must be murder 'cos we can't find his torch" - WTF?! confused

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Feb-17 23:07:20

Anyone read an interview with the outgoing detective. He seemed really odd and bitter about leaving. I do love Ardal. Looking forward to watching this series. I don't see him as Father Dougal but keep getting flashes of cat from Red Dwarf over Danny John Jules! grin

Sunnymeg Sat 18-Feb-17 10:32:46

I liked him, I presume that Catherine will win the election to become mayor and therefore need help in the bar, which will provide a job for Siobhan, so she can stay on the island. I didn't get the impression that Kris Marshall was bitter about leaving, more that he had his had forced by family circumstances.

Sunnymeg Sat 18-Feb-17 10:33:38

Hand! His hand was forced by family circumstances.

Yoksha Sat 18-Feb-17 19:56:00

Sunny,

Yeah, I thought that his family circumstances forced his hand too. The article didn't make him seem bitter, at least I didn't sense it.

Liking Ardal as the new guy. No individual outshines the other in this show. The setting is the star.

I also like the dynamics evolving between the new inspector and the commissioner. < holds hand over mouth giggling at Ardal's bravery >.

ChoccyJules Sat 18-Feb-17 20:04:36

I also enjoyed him standing up to the commissioner, about time someone did!
We didn't like the tie and shirt look though, they had the first one in unnecessarily hot clothes and the second was always in a jacket, that joke doesn't need repeating. Surely the thought process is that it's hot so I'll wear a smartish short-sleeved shirt to the office.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 18-Feb-17 21:10:52

It's hard when a lead character is played by someone new

Found it weird after ben left to have kris as so different

But did like kris and got used to him

As sure will to this one

I thought kris left as he missed his family and kids as filmed for 4:6mths a year

Jaynebxl Sat 18-Feb-17 23:11:54

I've loved both previous stars but think A O'H will be great. Just what is needed to freshen it all up.

Graphista Sun 19-Feb-17 03:41:58

I like ardal I think he'll be good. Period of adjustment par for the course. What's wrong with the daughter? confused

DameSquashalot Sun 19-Feb-17 04:04:13

I really like him too

specialsubject Sun 19-Feb-17 11:30:18

Kris Marshal said he joined the show when his son was a baby, and the kid has been spending six months a year with him on Guadeloupe in nursery. Kid is now school age so game over.

Nothing more than that.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 19-Feb-17 12:42:31

I'm getting really fed up with Florence.

Why can't we have the lovely Camille back?

Graphista Sun 19-Feb-17 12:50:33

Camille actress co-starring in a very successful US crime drama I believe

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 19-Feb-17 12:57:54

Really?

Off to look it up.

Gizlotsmum Sun 19-Feb-17 13:00:36

I'm reserving judgement. I need him to bring something else at the moment he seems too close to Kris's portrayal..

Floralnomad Sun 19-Feb-17 13:03:29

I think this series has been really poor in comparison with the earlier ones , this weeks episode probably had the best 'crime' , I am not keen on Ardal O'hanlon in general and DH who watched the start at his mums came home at the end and said 'he can't act', so I'm not sure about it moving forward .

purplepandas Sun 19-Feb-17 13:03:43

I am not keen either. In the minority clearly.

Clawdy Sun 19-Feb-17 18:15:39

It lost a lot when Camille left, she was mesmerisingly beautiful! Ardal 's daughter is incredibly irritating. Hope she isn't in the next series, but she probably is.

Fiderer Mon 20-Feb-17 08:03:21

I'm not sure about AO'H either, but then I wasn't when KM took over & thought he was really good after a while. I was always v hmm about Doctor Who changes as well at first.

Having said that I think he was "I am acting a bumbly detective" rather than being one iykwim.

The daughter's one of the worst actors they've had. I like the way every week there's some British actor in it - lovely few weeks on Guadaloupe grin

Do like the commissioner & Dywane. It is v formulaic, increasingly so but it's lovely to watch the island shots & I like the way there's a murder & then you get the chirpy theme tune.

trinitybleu Mon 20-Feb-17 08:08:41

I'm just a bit hmm about the spare room that's suddenly appeared for Ardal to sleep in ....

Fiderer Mon 20-Feb-17 08:15:11

Yes, and why is annoying daughter in the double bed & he gets a camp bed in a storeroom? I know they couldn't just have the one bed but she'd want a room of her own rather than the bed-in-the-kitchen-living-room, surely.

<irrationally irked on a Monday morning>

MiaowTheCat Mon 20-Feb-17 10:36:11

I can't watch Ardal without my mind playing the Father Ted cows near and really far away sketch over the top of it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now