Talk

Advanced search

SS-GB

(16 Posts)
Davros Tue 14-Feb-17 15:42:17

Sunday 9pm BBC 1
I can't wait for this. I know the book well so hope I won't be disappointed. I'm surprised it hasn't been a film or TV show before

Rhubarb01 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:20:29

Yes, this looks like another drama right up my street! Interestingly, I've not read the Len Deighton book but I've read two others that have a similar premise being set in a post-war world in which Germany was the victor - 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris set in Germany and 'Dominion' by CJ Sansom which is set in Britain in 1952 following a German victory in 1940. Obviously, Len Deighton's novel was the original so I'm looking forward it as he always writes a great story. So nice to see it on the BBC too without all the annoying adverts.

Davros Tue 14-Feb-17 20:45:35

I know Fatherland well, the main difference being that it is set in Germany. I think SS-GB is better but they're both good. I don't know the other one

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 14-Feb-17 20:57:38

I'm looking forward to it, mostly entirely because of Sam Riley. I know nothing about the book, but I'm glad to hear it's a good story to go with the ogling!

Davros Tue 14-Feb-17 21:25:47

The pictures in this week's RT look sensational. CGI Buckingham Palace with bomb damage and Nazi flags!!

TRish47 Wed 15-Feb-17 07:16:27

I have read all of Len Deightons books 📚 they are fantastic. No doubt we in NZ will have to wait for ages to this program to be aired.
Loved your updates Rhu, god they were good. Thank you xx
We have raging fires on the Port Hills of Christchurch. A state of Emergency 🚨 been declared and so many people evacuated from the hillside suburbs. In some places it is raining ash!

Davros Wed 15-Feb-17 09:10:15

flowers Trish I don't suppose TV programmes are top priority right now but a good escape for all of us

228agreenend Wed 15-Feb-17 18:22:10

Looking forward to this.

JustDanceAddict Wed 15-Feb-17 18:23:40

Looks good!

Davros Sat 18-Feb-17 21:40:07

Starts tomorrow. Can't wait

Dulra Sat 18-Feb-17 22:20:17

Really looking forward to it no idea what it's about but the trailers have sucked me in

Davros Sun 19-Feb-17 21:35:17

I think Douglas is a bit too young and Harry is a bit too old. The growly voice is annoying. Otherwise I love it so far

Rhubarb01 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:47:03

Yes, just popping back here after posting on the other thread. I think it's great a really eerie depiction of what might have been.

Jungfraujoch Sun 19-Feb-17 22:06:12

Mmm, just watched first episode. Not familiar with the book, so am intrigued. His husky voice irritates me though!

pinkpanda101 Mon 20-Feb-17 08:30:35

Davros Dominion is BRILLIANT! I loved it so much more than Fatherland. (But CJ Sansom can do no wrong in my eyes)

Can't decide whether to watch SSGB now after so many negative comments about the mumbling. I do hate not being able to understand what's being said. shame, as I was looking forward to it. Mind you, I ended up hating the Man in High Castle by the end of series 1 as I had literally no idea of what was going on hmmhmm

Tightarseinleggings Mon 20-Feb-17 08:32:10

Watched 15 minutes and switched off.

One of the most boring, mumbling drama BBC has produced. Twitter awash with mumbling comments. It was dire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now