Talk

Advanced search

The Big Painting Challenge

(107 Posts)
LIZS Sun 12-Feb-17 18:50:59

Anyone watching?

The80sweregreat Sun 12-Feb-17 18:53:28

I cannot paint or draw but i like this show.
Abstract is my favouite to look at. Jennifers bedroom is very interesting.
I wished i could do it!

The80sweregreat Sun 12-Feb-17 18:58:07

Poor lesley.
They dont get a lot of time to do those paintings.

Brillig Sun 12-Feb-17 19:00:27

Just watched it. Reserving judgment for now - it seems quite different to the last series, the one with Richard Bacon and Una Stubbs. Wasn't that warehouse the Great British Sewing Bee one?

LIZS Sun 12-Feb-17 19:29:31

Yes i thought the venue was the same. Hair lady was a bit weird, surprised she got the immunity vote.

CanadaMoose91 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:38:55

I liked it - the astrophysicist's work was fabulous. A lot of them are definitely promising!

Akire Sun 12-Feb-17 22:43:02

It was different! Though quite hard tasks to be going on with. They always pick the one I think the weakest as great. This week was the woman who kept me saying around with hair, I mean WTF? It looked half done yet voted the best by the public. Must have been the sympathy vote!

Did make me laugh when the woman got blue drops on
Her week and the teacher was saying leave them they represent the past or some such rubbish. Basically you can do anything as long as you come out with a good line about it.

annandale Sun 12-Feb-17 22:44:50

Oh i liked thingy with the hair's one, or at least I liked her main picture, was a bit WTF about her 'still life'.

Think Adam could be a dark horse.

fourquenelles Sun 19-Feb-17 18:58:39

I am obviously old and grumpy but Jennifer can't paint and David should have gone. Love Camilla's ballsey attitude.

Akire Sun 19-Feb-17 19:02:05

I enjoyed that, at least painting real
Thins. But do think the public feel
Sorry for Jennifer and give her the sympathy vote. i appreciate that's it's her unique style and all (though surely you should be able to paint without using hair in everything woman!) if they were all
Abstrac them fair enough but the rest are main stream Seems U fair. Plus accidental dropping picture upside down and then last minute splashing blue paint was a risk and they go on and on like she planned
It that way when clearly she sent most of Time doing something else.

fourquenelles Sun 19-Feb-17 20:02:53

I think I'd be more impressed with her "way out there" style if she demonstrated that she could actually draw too. Perhaps she can and we haven't seen that side of her yet.

The80sweregreat Sun 19-Feb-17 20:04:24

I like jennifers style. Just different. I know nothing about art though.

annandale Sun 19-Feb-17 21:44:48

Angela's was amazing, I think she's really talented.

I liked Jennifer's again though. She cleverly avoided painting dull buildings and painted a seascape - people living in Hastings presumably like that. Also hers looks different from the others in the group - if they were all abstract artists hers would probably look boringly conventional.

NormaSmuff Mon 20-Feb-17 07:29:01

i also think the public just liked the look of Jennifer's work, it would look good on a wall. also perhaps the public feel they Have to like a particular style of art. like people who like van gogh for instance.
i thought Jimmy would go.
Liked the lady who had had an accident.
thought Camilla was a bit Up herself.

supercue Mon 20-Feb-17 12:13:10

I would always pick an abstract painting to hang on my wall if the alternative was a "real life" painting that's not very good.

There are no mistakes to drive you mad, it is what it is.

The80sweregreat Mon 20-Feb-17 12:29:08

I prefer abstract paintings
Its odd isnt it, people's taste in Art.
My friend loves Vermeer - i can see why and the detail is amazing, but i would rather go to a Picasso exhibition! I took my son to the Matisse exhibition a few years ago and i loved it all and he wasn't as keen ( he was doing A level art at the time and knows more than me technically) I wished i could draw or paint, its such a skill.

Megatherium Mon 20-Feb-17 21:16:04

I think they should swap mentors. Camilla is plainly not on her mentor's wavelength at all.

The80sweregreat Tue 21-Feb-17 10:14:28

Camilla is struggling a bit, they showed some of her own work last week and i thought it was very good. She has a lot of talent.

ElspethFlashman Tue 21-Feb-17 10:21:00

I must be a grumpy old fart too because Jennifer's slithering out of actually drawing anything is really getting on my nerves.

Ditto Camilla's impatience with having to draw straight lines. hmm

And that bloke who dab dab dabs....it's like he's doing it that way so he doesn't mess up straight lines.

That said it is very interesting and the mentors are quite good. Mariella and the Rev don't add much though.

The80sweregreat Tue 21-Feb-17 10:23:51

No, they could have dropped the Rev and Mariella really, just had the two mentors and the 3 judges.

LIZS Sun 26-Feb-17 18:24:40

Wow wasn't she rude!

Davros Sun 26-Feb-17 19:12:22

I hate Jennifer's work and tonight is no different. Pretentious!!

NormaSmuff Sun 26-Feb-17 19:15:44

who was rude?
I missed it.

annandale Sun 26-Feb-17 19:18:03

I think they could have dumped about 5 of them tonight...

Love Pascal though, he's an amazing teacher.

LIZS Sun 26-Feb-17 19:19:16

Daphne about Jennifer's flamingoes. She had a point but was more than little blunt! Likewise we're finding her hair technique tiresome although it just about worked this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now