Talk

Advanced search

Escape To The Wild

(8 Posts)
Cosmicglitterpug Thu 09-Feb-17 21:37:38

With Jimmy of Jamie Oliver fame.
Thoughts on British people moving to back of beyond? Wouldn't be for me.

specialsubject Fri 10-Feb-17 18:20:05

Never heard of the presenter before.

Last nights couple have a blog which is good reading - rest assured they do have two snowmobiles and do know that you don't burn fresh wood, which you may not assume from the programme. All for getting out of the London rat race but this does seem an extreme solution!

Like last weeks two running an isolated dive resort, it won't be forever but if they can do it, why not? The attractions of the Yukon do rather escape me.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 10-Feb-17 18:31:00

I've seen both programmes and enjoyed them.

I think I would rather live in the Yukon rather than on that island.

I would quite like to live in the back of beyond somewhere. Maybe not quite that isolated. But maybe a 20 mile drive to the nearest shop. But yes a old cabin and shooting and fishing appeals. I pull need internet though. grin

I used to watch some tv series about Alaska and there was a woman who lived by herself at some research station only accessible by plane. She lived in some sort of reinforced tent/polytunnel all year. One time a polar bear crashed through the wall when she was in bed!

How did the English couple get a visa to move to the Yukon? I thought you needed a job to be allowed to move?

Cosmicglitterpug Sat 11-Feb-17 08:34:47

I found the isolation of the Yukon quite overwhelming, and dare I say, the scenery didn't really do it for me. Could I live in the wild? I think not to be honest. I'm not uber sociable, but I'd want more people than just my husband to talk to.

cushioncovers Sat 11-Feb-17 10:12:29

I'm watching but wasn't won over by this weeks episode. It's interesting though to see why and how other people do it.

quarkinstockcubes Sat 18-Feb-17 09:51:21

Just caught up with the first episode. Once again with this programme you are given the impression that the couple are just faffing around the island all day, with a brief mention of "fledging business". They are probably busting their gut just to be able to eat. Whilst the scenery is beautiful the lack of variety of food and social life would kill it for me. Thought the strop that the woman had regarding him asking about snakes was a bit childish though.

Brytie Sat 18-Feb-17 10:59:08

I don't like Jimmy as the presenter. Preferred the Ben Fogle version. Jimmy lacks personality or screen presence and I don't think he'd have a TV career if Jamie Oliver weren't his friend.

The idea of space appeals to me but I think the lack of community is an unnatural way for humans to live. It would be so daunting to me to have to do everything. I do admire the people who do it for being so gutsy and 'can do' but I don't think it's a sustainable way to live forever.

cushioncovers Sat 18-Feb-17 13:20:11

I agree Ben Fogle has much more charisma. Jimmy doesn't really bring much to the program.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now