Talk

Advanced search

Roots Remake!

(10 Posts)
gaggiagirl Wed 08-Feb-17 19:58:37

Roots. Tonight 8/2 at 9pm on BBC4.
I wonder how it compares to the book and original series.

InfiniteCurve Wed 08-Feb-17 20:29:44

Thanks for reminding me about this!

Housewife2010 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:03:36

I wonder why it's been hidden away on bbc4 with no publicity. I remember the original Roots when I was a child.

Yoksha Wed 08-Feb-17 22:56:50

I started to watch it, but found it too difficult. I'm not burying my head. It's just that I watched the original series in the mid-seventies & still feel the shame.

I lived in Edinburgh at the time & was on my way home from night school. An elderly gentleman got on the bus & sat beside me. I started to stutter & sputter my shame & profusely apologised on behalf of the the British people at the time. He was really sweet, but probably couldn't wait to get off the bus.

Years later I bumped into a descendent of Lord Wilberforce & we struck up an interesting conversation. She lives not far from me.

I wouldn't hold it against you if you thought " She's mad " grin

gaggiagirl Thu 09-Feb-17 23:23:28

Im going to have to watch it on the iplayer. Had screaming baby issues last night! It has been rather hidden away though, not been advertised much.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 09-Feb-17 23:26:49

DS has been studying it at school this term and I wondered about watching it but am still haunted by the original series as I was only about 10 when it was first shown. DH and I were saying last night that we can't imagine any drama series nowadays having the impact that Roots did back then.

Millionsmom Thu 09-Feb-17 23:27:29

Saw it earlier tonight, it's a bit slower than the original - and as I saw it as a child, I'm not sure how close it is to the 'original '.
It's quite grim, but slavery isn't an easy subject is it.

gaggiagirl Thu 16-Feb-17 21:59:23

Just watching the second episode now. I think it's more loyal to the book than the original. It's Horrific how human beings can be so cruel to others.

Forest whittaker is excellent in this.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Thu 16-Feb-17 22:08:14

I saw most of episode one. Thought it was outstanding, very well acted, close to the book. The problem was it was so well acted and so well done I got too upset to keep watching. blush In part because I know the book and know what's coming plotwise, but emotionally it's shattering, such awful, awful times.

Vq1970 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:18:09

I remember it being on in the 70s and my mum watching it but I don't remember any details so can't compare but I find this remake very hard to watch. It's horrific how these people were treated. In the second episode we've just watched tonight, so many times I've yelled fucking hell at the screen and couldn't watch. I'm guessing it hasn't been 'softened' for this generation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now