Talk

Advanced search

Jonathan Creek

(11 Posts)
saladsmoothie Mon 06-Feb-17 17:26:42

Catching up on old episodes. I think I must have missed a chunk. Where did Caroline Quentin go? Last time I watched they were on-again-off-again and he was a magician trick designer living in a windmill. Now he's married to Sarah Alexander (who cannot act but has a nice face) and living a nobby posh life and doesn't have any sort of a job. What happened?

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Mon 06-Feb-17 17:33:35

You missed Sheridan Smith and Julia Sahwalha. The first Sarah Alexander episode started off with "so Jonathan, it's so nice that you're suddenly married to me despite having no chemistry or apparent affection whatsoever, and have stopped being a stupid magician's assistant in favour of a nebulous job in "business". Why don't you sell the windmill and move in with me in my parents' nice but anonymous old house?"

Cue screams of Nooooo! Whyyyyy? from across the land.

TheCustomaryMethod Mon 06-Feb-17 17:35:35

IIRC she went to Austin, Texas and hooked up with a bloke called Austin.

JC then had the on/off thing with Julia Sawahla for a couple of series, then Sheridan Smith for (I think) three specials, then there was a big gap and he returned having married and abandoned the windmill and magic for the corporate life.

saladsmoothie Mon 06-Feb-17 17:41:59

Now you mention it I think I did see some episodes with Sheridan Smith. Don't remember Julia Sahwalah.

But yes, NO chemistry with SA. And why lose the windmill!! And why give up the magician stuff!!

So I didn't miss him dating or getting married to SA then? She really just turned up married to him and now is not as good? Jonathan seems miserable.

TheCustomaryMethod Mon 06-Feb-17 17:45:29

Sarah is rubbish as JC's wife, and so have all the plots been since she turned up. I wouldn't personally bother with those episodes - I'd get hold of the Julia Sahwahla ones instead if you haven't seen them. The special, Satan's Chimney is the first one with Julia and it's really good.

saladsmoothie Mon 06-Feb-17 17:59:18

And WHY is she all "we must get you to stop solving mysteries!"? It makes no sense.

TheCustomaryMethod Mon 06-Feb-17 18:40:23

I think the writers had run out of steam, and brought in a mystery-averse wife in a (failed) bid to add a bit more interest through the conflict.

purpleme12 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:05:24

Yep agree with everyone. Why did they do it??? And have him work not in magic?? Defeats the whole object! Really makes me annoyed actually

CantstandmLMs Sun 12-Feb-17 12:09:10

I agree. The new ones are awful and they feel purposely awful?! Why would Alan Davis agree to do them?

I've re-watched the CQ ones and they are so good! I loved those two. I also like the Julia Swahala ones as they are still well written.

Dawsonforehead Sun 12-Feb-17 12:28:47

Also loved Caroline Quentin! Her expressions and sarcasm are brilliant . Sheridan Smith was a poor choice, just came across as genuinely stupid rather than CQ's intelligent-but-still-dont-understand-your-thought-process character.

hackmum Sun 12-Feb-17 13:13:45

I thought the Christmas episode was a return to form, after a disappointing run since Sarah Alexander joined. I think David Renwick (he's the only writer, afaik) thought that a 50+ bloke still living in a windmill and working as a magician's assistant would be a bit of a sad case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now