Talk

Advanced search

Sky is probably removing all the Discovery channels from 1st Feb!

(24 Posts)
TammySwanson Sun 29-Jan-17 17:44:27

All my guilty pleasure viewing from TLC, Animal Planet and Investigation Discovery will be gone! Sky and Discovery are having a dispute about money. Not happy about this at all: www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-29/skys-dispute-with-the-discovery-channel---your-questions-answered
They've kept it pretty quiet - the first I knew about it was the onscreen message on the ID channel today - no direct message to subscribers anyway and potentially 13 channels (including Eurosport) will just disappear. OK, they may settle it soon but how will I know what happens to Danielle and Mohammed from 'My 90 Day Fiancee:Happily Ever After?' now? (ok, yes, I could just google) or get my kitten fix from Too Cute! (I'm just realising that I only seem to watch programmes with punctuation in the title)?

talkingtoclarry Sun 29-Jan-17 17:46:43

My OH is furious about this, he lives for cycling and Eurosport is on constantly for the whole season. We're three months into a new contract so will be ringing them tomorrow.

LIZS Sun 29-Jan-17 17:49:52

It was announced on Eurosport during Australian open coverage. Dh is moaning about potential loss of World Ski championships.

TheImprobableGirl Sun 29-Jan-17 17:51:48

I was catatonic with rage! Until I realised I had never actually watched those channels- still I pay £90 a month for a reason and they can't just steal 11 channels because they don't want to pay them any more without bringing the price down!

Floralnomad Sun 29-Jan-17 17:55:25

The only channel I'm fussed about is Eurosport as they do by far the best cycling coverage and are the only good channel for winter sports , I'm not under contract for Sky but need to keep them for the cricket and boxing, so when Eurosport find a new home I will just have to add that in .

LunaLoveg00d Sun 29-Jan-17 17:57:20

DH has been on live chat with Sky about this - he asked them what discount they would be giving as they wouldn't be providing the service we signed up for. They wouldn't commit, but did say there would be no notice period if we cancelled.

Not fussed about Eurosport as much but we do sometimes watch home and health, and my guilty pleasure is Salvage Hunters on Quest. Kids like the Animal Planet channel too.

SaucyDough Sun 29-Jan-17 18:02:04

<switches to Virgin Media>

OhSoggyBiscuit Mon 30-Jan-17 13:22:05

What I want to know is why Virgin Media customers also got that message- we're not losing the channels! (relief to Mum, she loves that awful TLC channel)

pinkhorse Mon 30-Jan-17 15:52:06

I am so so gutted about this. There is a lot of anger about this on Twitter.

Hellmouth Mon 30-Jan-17 17:12:09

I am quite pissed off, I watch TLC quite often, half the reason we got the sky when we moved is so i can watch Say Yes to the Dress lol

RebootYourEngine Mon 30-Jan-17 17:21:15

Sky did this with their NowTV. They reduced the channels and changed the packages but didnt alter the price.

DalekBred Tue 31-Jan-17 16:25:08

im bloody gutted. Ive only got Sky for the documentaries, discovery channels, and Eurosport, for the tennis, I don't get sky sports.

and yy we still have to pay the same fees eh? what a swizz! seriously thinking about giving it up, and while I appreciate there are a lot of channels on freeview, most of them are not the ones we like on sky.

DalekBred Tue 31-Jan-17 16:26:35

does Virgin media get eurosport and the discoveries? what do they not have that sky has? if its the same Ill think about switching, although ive had sky for 10 years now, I don't like change!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 16:27:09

I am beyond gutted and am planning an exit call to Sky...

ProseccoandPizza Tue 31-Jan-17 16:30:29

Same here. We mostly only watch the normal channels (and even then mostly on demand). Then the discovery channels. I may as well cancel the whole thing and go to a free view box or go back to my fire stick if that's the case. Grrrr.

1happyhippie Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:38

I love the discovery channels and I like the id channel. Is this definite? Do we just have to go to the channels tomorrow to find out?
The sports ones on a bit here too. There should be a price drop as that's a fair few channels to loose.

IcaMorgan Tue 31-Jan-17 16:37:46

Sky has an announcement page up now saying Discovery refused the hundreds of millions Sky offered and asked for almost 1bn. It is discovery taking the channels away rather than Sky stopping them. Sky still wants to negotiate but discovery won't since they leaked last week about the channels going

IckleWicklePumperNickle Tue 31-Jan-17 17:09:23

We watch all these channels and very pissed off. We don't get virgin. Fuckers they are!!!

LiveThroughThis Tue 31-Jan-17 20:29:41

They've made an 11th hour deal to keep the discovery channels!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 21:30:32

Yaygrin

IckleWicklePumperNickle Tue 31-Jan-17 22:20:55

Yay grin

SpecialFlowSnake Tue 31-Jan-17 22:22:32

Victory! brew

DalekBred Thu 02-Feb-17 15:57:53

Phew! Thank God for that! grin.

TeaAddict235 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:52:14

Phew, nearly lost my Homes under the hammer overload grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now