Talk

Advanced search

Who Do You Think You Are?

(14 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:06:51

BBC1

smilesmilesmile

ExplodedCloud Wed 25-Jan-17 23:34:06

I thought this one of the nicest episodes there's ever been. He was lovely. His family were good. And he was bright, engaged and asked good questions smile

inaclearingstandsaboxer Thu 26-Jan-17 12:10:49

I loved this episode too - he seemed so delighted with everything he found out. And to know his relatives did those fabulous things.

danTDM Thu 26-Jan-17 17:00:55

Is it it the Ian mcKellen one? I've just downloaded it smile

Idratherhaveacupoftea Thu 26-Jan-17 17:02:07

Lovely lovely man.smile

ExplodedCloud Thu 26-Jan-17 17:14:34

Yes Dan.

Stuffedshirt Thu 26-Jan-17 17:17:26

I've seen bits of other programmes in this series and I have to confess I've always wondered why people watch. I must be out of step with everyone else but I really can't get interested in celebs generally but their family history is just terminally boring. Sorry.

KurriKurri Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:53

This one was very interesting Stuffedshirt - especially the stuff about the radical campaigning relation. Proper social history. He had some very interesting family history.

And Ian Mckellen is lovely and didn't do any of that fake crying over people he didn't know, just asked very intelligent questions.

I am slightly in love with him since he chatted to me when I was about sixteen after I'd just seen him in The Alchemist at RSC - he was very sweet and kind to a bunch of giggling schoolgirls.
I saw him again many years later in Waiting for Godot and he wrote a lovely personal message in my programme wishing me well (I was having chemo at the time) A proper gentleman.

ExplodedCloud Thu 26-Jan-17 17:47:00

Stuffed I don't give a fig for most of the celebrities but I love family histories.
Kurri that's lovely.

NotCitrus Thu 26-Jan-17 19:30:59

The celebrities are rarely the interesting bit - it's the insights into social history, how people are rarely from where they think, and how stories of one family can illuminate history that are so fascinating.

Though sometimes seeing some celeb you thought was a twit being really interesting, or vice versa, adds something. Alan Cumming's story was one of the best dramas I've ever seen (and then his autobiography added even more to it).

Kurri I saw him in Godot too and it was amazing - it's a play that's all too easy to do really badly!

furlinedsheepskinjacket Fri 27-Jan-17 02:43:34

i like this show usually but had to switch off - too dull smile

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Fri 27-Jan-17 14:50:17

I'm a genealogy geek and love this show.

I thought this weeks was a great episode. I'm also not into celeb culture at all but I do like IK as an actor. I liked all the little coincidences too

I like watching as my family tree consists of generations of farm labourers and mill workers and women having 12+ children and rather boring other than the odd illegitimate ancestor I can't trace.

HobbitTankard Fri 27-Jan-17 14:59:39

I like genealogy and social history so I do enjoy this show, despite the flaws.

How great to have a forebear who invented the weekend! (Well, sort of!) Thanks Mr Lowes.

diddl Fri 27-Jan-17 15:46:27

I loved it as well.

It was interesting, he was interested & not gushing.

That his GF had been to the school for orphans that his GGF(?) had helped establish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now