Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Village documentary series - early 90s

(16 Posts)
tobee Wed 18-Jan-17 19:29:10

Does anyone remember this series? Set in Bentley village. It was on the radio first. It was made by Nigel Farrell (who sadly died in 2011) and was quite unusual at the time. Ordinary people on tv. Fairly slow and a completely alien world to me but Farrell's narration made it so watchable. Like a soap opera but with inane things happening. I sometimes wonder what happened to the people in it. Or am I the only saddo who watched?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 18-Jan-17 19:30:50

I used to watch it. We used to provide the videos to rent in the corner shop.

PoopyPanda Wed 18-Jan-17 19:34:13

Yes I remember it. There was a big hoo-ha over a "Surgery" signpost, and one of the residents was a teenage girl who didn't have a belly button.

tobee Wed 18-Jan-17 20:02:04

I remember the saga of the by pass with Jumbo shouting at the traffic, Tony getting diagnosed as diabetic, the new vicar coming and people saying he looked like Hugh Grant (yeah, right).

Isthatwhat that's a good bit of info. Very tantalising.

BookHunter Wed 18-Jan-17 20:04:22

I remember this. Jumbo and his brother. The grumpy general store man and simi with the lisp.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 18-Jan-17 20:09:24

I used to love this, but nobody ever knows what I'm going on about when I've asked!

Fly on the wall documentaries have changed a bit since then.

cottonweary Wed 18-Jan-17 20:10:19

Sounds right up my street, just reserved it on LOVEFiLM, thank you!

BookHunter Wed 18-Jan-17 20:11:25

Anyone remember when Nigel went off with his Indian friend to open a curry house in France?

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 18-Jan-17 20:11:41

Oh I remember this!

It's on youtube

youtu.be/3LYbx-vWy_E

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 18-Jan-17 20:15:27

nigel was great .i love his tv shows.an island parish is v similar.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 18-Jan-17 20:22:31

I remember Nigel and Nippi arguing a lot about the restaurant smile.

BookHunter Wed 18-Jan-17 20:25:37

Nippi, that's the name. Nigel fell for local estate agent if I remember correctly?

NancyDonahue Thu 19-Jan-17 10:22:04

I loved Nigel and his programme about renovating a French house and opening a restaurant with Nippi. He married a French lady I think? lovely man and a sad loss sad

NancyDonahue Thu 19-Jan-17 10:23:13

Ah yes BookHunter she was the estate agent. Rather stunning if I remember rightly.

wideboy26 Thu 19-Jan-17 10:48:45

Dave the plumber is still doing his Elvis impersonation. I met him a few years ago at a local hospital fete (this 'Elvis' doesn't do Las Vegas) when he told me he was 73, so he must be in his late 70s by now. But he's still doing it.

Nippy became a local councillor and may still be, but I'd have to check. I used to watch The Village while cooking Sunday dinner. The relaxed style of commentary was strangely engaging and because I live not far from Bentley there was always the local interest factor.

mogloveseggs Thu 19-Jan-17 10:51:28

The subtitles on that link are so bad they're funny! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now