Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Next Steps - what fresh hell is this on CBBC?

(19 Posts)
SirChenjin Mon 02-Jan-17 17:12:05

DS is addicted to this awful pile of dross - interpretive dance intercepted with teenage angst over emotional connections and who's in or out of the dance and why. Make it STOP, for the love of god angry

gunnergirl Mon 02-Jan-17 17:21:45

Hear hear I hate this programme but my ds loves it

SirChenjin Mon 02-Jan-17 17:27:31

I can't figure it out - is it meant to be ironic, or is it for real? Is it all ad libbed?

megletthesecond Mon 02-Jan-17 17:29:05

I used to hate it and now it's sheer awfulness has grown on me blush .

It's scripted I believe.

CremeBrusselsSprouts Mon 02-Jan-17 17:30:37

Ahh you have to give in to the cheesiness and go with it. DD14 and I love it. Go Eldon!

FranHastings Mon 02-Jan-17 17:32:26

My DDs love it. We surprised them with tour tickets in n the Autumn. I think I've been brainwashed because I love the theme tune. 😁

SirChenjin Mon 02-Jan-17 17:41:56

Noooo - there is no place on here for the Next Steps love angrygrin

I can't physically watch it - trop mucho fromaggio

CremeBrusselsSprouts Mon 02-Jan-17 21:22:03

Surrender to the grande fromage! You also have to watch Taking The Next Step, the competition to find a UK dancer to take up a guest role on the show.

Acres and acres of cheese....🧀🧀🧀

SirChenjin Mon 02-Jan-17 21:52:53

I found myself watching this tonight - DS had to explain the increase in the Draaarrrr-maaarrr to me. Would they/wouldn't they make it to the Nationals without too much emotional leakage was nail biting stuff 😴😴

PickAChew Mon 02-Jan-17 21:54:23

DS1 always turns it off. Just the engineered angst (and eyebrows) in the railers is enough to tell me why.

JustDanceAddict Tue 03-Jan-17 20:01:17

Mine were obsessed with it a couple of years ago - I got drawn into it all too!!

SellFridges Tue 03-Jan-17 20:03:12

I love it. I'm not sure I am even embarrassed!

LIZS Tue 03-Jan-17 20:04:40

Not so fresh. Series 3 now and it has already toured in UK.

SirChenjin Tue 03-Jan-17 20:51:43

Omg - they haul this over-acted pile of angst round the UK? shock Will need to keep this news away from DS.

EllaHen Tue 03-Jan-17 21:22:11

Dd started watching it when she was 9 I think. I caught 10 minutes of it and promptly banned it with the explanation that teenagers aren't this mean to each other in real life and I didn't want this kind of pish normalised.

Might not have used the word pish but dd understood my drift and I think was actually relieved at not having to watch it. She's now 11 and has suffered no ill effects from such hard line parenting.

sniffle12 Tue 03-Jan-17 23:46:03

I think the type of drama/angst being popularised by shows like these has already taken root in young people and is significantly contributing to the teenage mental health crisis. Firstly all the 'he said, she said', and secondly encouraging overly serious/emotionally involved relationships at an age where kids should just be having fun.

That and everybody on the show is a) naturally beautiful and b) then pristinely groomed to perfection - is it Michelle who appears to have salon-quality curled hair and pristine make-up even after dancing for hours? Even if we want to tell kids they need to wear make up and curl their hair to dance for some reason, both would literally last 2 minutes on a normal person!

Or maybe I'm just a killjoy!

CremeBrulee Wed 04-Jan-17 00:35:20

Err, it's just a kids tv show. We watch it because it actually includes some amazing dance numbers. Try watching the final duet from nationals.

We giggle together at the hamdramatics - it's not a show that takes itself too seriously.

Cherrypie32 Wed 04-Jan-17 07:19:22

I'm with sniffle, I think the drama based around relationships and bitchiness isn't appropriate for the average age CBBC audience. If it was just about dancing it would be a great show but why shove so much angst in the faces of primary school age kids? The kids in the show are obviously older.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Jan-17 08:11:14

Agree sniffle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now