Advanced search

Last Tango in Halifax

(28 Posts)
wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 18-Dec-16 20:30:01

Is back on Monday night .

danTDM Sun 18-Dec-16 20:44:56

NO WAY! grin Thanks wakeup

GypsyFl0ss Sun 18-Dec-16 21:10:33

I saw Anne Reid at The Sick Children's Trust Carol service in London last week. She did a reading and was rather wonderful.

Muddlewitch Sun 18-Dec-16 21:11:45

Ooh brilliant thanks Wakeup

diddl Mon 19-Dec-16 18:53:30

Fantastic!

Love this programme!

diddl Mon 19-Dec-16 19:52:45

It's only 2 partssad

ellenanora5 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:08:25

Just realised its back, can't wait to see it, love it so much, I'll be recording it for during the week.☺

NoelHeadbands Mon 19-Dec-16 21:08:40

Settling in

The film crew were based at our local rugby club while they made this earlier this year.
The problem with this and Happy Valley is that we spend most of the programme going 'ooh look that's so and so street, why've they called it that? etc etc'

2rebecca Mon 19-Dec-16 21:33:57

They've ruined it. It used to be light hearted and this is a misery fest.
Also what's with the new Kate? Do they think black actresses are interchangeable? I hated the Kate ghost thing so would rather just have no Kate.

diddl Mon 19-Dec-16 21:39:32

It's like all different characters, isn't it?

noelheadBandAid Mon 19-Dec-16 21:44:15

Okay wtf is Olga?!

2rebecca Mon 19-Dec-16 21:47:05

I thought Olga was ghosty Kate when Catherine was talking to her at the beginning of the programme all the "you told me to do some good" stuff. Why would she take life advice from the woman who delivers the wine?

2rebecca Mon 19-Dec-16 21:48:13

Totally confused. Not only is it miserable it's also confusing. What happened to the feel good easy to follow plot of series 1?

diddl Mon 19-Dec-16 21:55:59

It doesn't make sense that Caroline would move when her youngest has only got two terms at school.

Don't really know why they're all picking on her though.

Alan & Celia don't have to be with her, Laurence has moved out...

diddl Mon 19-Dec-16 22:02:28

The pointed talk about the wills-an indication that someone will die?

2rebecca Mon 19-Dec-16 22:09:32

Is it meant to show Caroline fancies all black lesbians and isn't fussy? I find it very bizarre.

Pebble21uk Mon 19-Dec-16 22:17:53

I think Olga is Sally Wairight's crass way of trying to do a U turn - as did Heidi Thomas McGann in Call The Midwife with Delia's miraculous recovery... after the horse has bolted & the lesbian audience has lost all faith in the writers.

southeastdweller Mon 19-Dec-16 22:24:27

Haven't watched it yet but I read that SW regretted killing off Kate so I think Pebble is right about the U turn thing with Caroline and the new apparent love interest.

theliverpoolone Tue 20-Dec-16 13:55:38

I was looking forward to this, but was really disappointed and don't think I'll bother with tonight's sad. All that waffling about the house being haunted finally made me give up on it, I'm afraid.

RFHrules Tue 20-Dec-16 15:51:20

I was a bit disappointed by the supernatural nonsense. Also, it seems to have turned into The Gillian Show and whilst I admire the actress Nicola Walker, for me Gillian is one of the least interesting characters, and Eddie's death one of the least interesting storylines.

I saw Olga differently to most of the PPs. I thought that she was someone grief-stricken Caroline was attracted to because of her physical likeness to Kate, but who turned out to be unsuitable personality-wise. This sometimes happens to bereaved people and I found it realistic. I also found it realistic that strong-minded Caroline would make a bold career/domestic move as a means of starting afresh - she didn't realise that her son wasn't content to live with her ex, it was clearly a shock imo.

I think that they are gearing up to a death, and the end of LTiH. Sarah Lancashire will be filming more series of Happy Valley and Nicola Walker has had success with Unforgotten which probably means more series. Reid and Jacobi are always busy. It's probably a nightmare to schedule shoots. And it's run its course. Great drama though - very original, great premise, and a nice tribute to Sally W's mother and stepdad on whom Celia and Alan are based.

thenightsky Tue 20-Dec-16 22:12:44

Why is she moving house.. Huddersfield is a 30 min commute from Halifax confused

noelheadBandAid Tue 20-Dec-16 22:13:46

She lived in Harrogate.

That was poor

Pebble21uk Tue 20-Dec-16 22:31:39

Agree Noel but then from the way it ended I wouldn't expect another series.

diddl Tue 20-Dec-16 22:36:28

Was there any point to any of it?

southeastdweller Tue 20-Dec-16 22:38:56

RFH I wish I could be as optimistic as you are about why the Olga character was brought in but I don't trust SW's writing anymore to feel as natural as it used to.

Watched both episodes today and thought they were hugely disappointing. No depth, a lack of drama and I didn't care about the supernatural story and the am-dram capers. SW jumped the shark in the last series so I should have known better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now