Talk

Advanced search

Documentaries you would like another series of

(29 Posts)
GladysKravitz Sat 10-Dec-16 13:16:49

Documentaries might not be the right word. But this morning I watched a repeat of 'Liberty of London' and wished they would make another series, or at least a Christmas special. I loved seeing the decorations in the Christmas department and the rich customers and quirky staff.

I would also love a return of The Family (we still say 'cuppy tea'!), The Model Agency and the series about Claridges. Also there was one about all different people who lived in one area of London?

What would you like to see the return of?

buddhasbelly Sat 10-Dec-16 13:22:10

I enjoyed watching the 2 part doc recently about Christies the auction house.

I love watching historical docs and would watch something along those lines any day in comparison to fantasy fiction eg game of thrones.

Good idea for a thread OP, hopefully I can pick up some recommendations smile

dovesong Sat 10-Dec-16 13:24:56

I loved the Liberty and Claridges ones too! I also liked The Hotel series on channel 4. There was one about Harrow School that was great too.

thethoughtfox Sat 10-Dec-16 13:26:01

The BBC social work one. Harrowing.

EsmesBees Sat 10-Dec-16 13:31:47

The Secret History of our Streets. It was a social history of various streets across London. Very interesting series.

GladysKravitz Sat 10-Dec-16 13:37:34

Oh yes that social work one was fascinating! I was amazed how much of the families was revealed IYKWIM.

I really enjoyed a series about a female coroner too (in fact anything morbid fascinates me). The recent channel 4 and bbc2 series about murders, one a woman found in the boot of her car and one a black teen in Bristol, were really well done and so affecting. And there was a series about a trial (think it was in Scotland which is why it could be filmed?) which was incredible.

I love historical docs too. I dislike any dramatisation though so I am struggling with the Lucy Worsley one about Henry VII's wives a bit.

WetNovemberDay Sat 10-Dec-16 13:40:50

Yes that social work one and there was an adoption one following children and families through the adoption process. Certainly tugged at the heart strings.

olympicfan Sat 10-Dec-16 14:14:42

Child of Our Time. They are all coming up for 17... learning to drive. They haven't had an update programme since they were 11/12 yrs. Anything with Robert Winston is very watchable.

I loved the documentary about the Queen at 90 earlier in the year which was like a Royal Gogglebox where they sat watching home videos. The Queen has never been interviewed so it was the closest we got to hearing her talk about her life and family.

GladysKravitz Sat 10-Dec-16 15:32:22

Oh yes Child of our Time! Also Born to be Different is wonderful. I'm so disappointed if some of the families don't take part! Was it COOT where the little girl's mother died? God that was sad, such a lovely girl sad

I was just thinking recently that I would love to see a Royal documentary repeated, it was years ago now, think it was the one where it showed the Queen has breakfast from Tupperware boxes and how the bagpipes wake her up!

Is anyone else dying to watch 'Mariah's World' on Sunday? Not that it wil be as revealing and honest as the aforementioned programs I don't suppose, as I'm sure she will have editorial control and she is quite controlling of her image.

OMG can you imagine a really frank and honest documentary in the style of some mentioned, but with someone like Madonna! Or George Clooney and Amal! I think I would die of happiness!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 10-Dec-16 15:38:03

A few years ago a theatre and film accent coach whose name I forget but she is married to Richard E. Grant did a documentary about the history of different accents - it was one of the most fascinating things I have ever watched and I wish she would do a whole series.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 10-Dec-16 15:40:23

Joan Washington (identity restored via quick Google)

RebootYourEngine Mon 12-Dec-16 17:21:10

I love documentries such as Liberty of london or the tube. Ones that go behind the scenes.

The Family - was that the one one ch4 where they filmed a familys home. I liked that, would like an update. Especially the family whose son was getting married. Their future dil lived with them but they didnt share a room as they were religious. Her family didnt approve.

BdumBdummer Mon 12-Dec-16 17:28:35

Chronicles of Nadiya. Really enjoyed it. Engaging presenter.

NotCitrus Mon 12-Dec-16 19:14:59

Who do you think You Are? Even when it's someone I don't know or dislike, they are fascinating bits of social history, and some are among the most compelling pieces of telly ever - the Alan Cumming episode, for example.

The BBC4 Story of China was excellent and I'd love to see similar for other countries.

hazelnutlatte Tue 13-Dec-16 14:16:32

I also liked the secret history of our streets, also the documentary about the building of crossrail, but I can't remember what it was called

GladysKravitz Tue 13-Dec-16 22:15:15

I've just remembered The Model Agency, that was great. Really seeing behind the scenes. Also one about ballet dancers was fascinating, I can't remember what it was called, but their dedication shone out.

Bookishandblondish Tue 13-Dec-16 22:37:01

Favourite documentaries include a series about Soho - probably in the 90s by Chris Terill and a documentary about the steps for tyranny from 2000. Also thought Blackfish was brilliant.

Palomb Tue 13-Dec-16 22:38:13

Time Team.

C4 fucked up massively when they decommissioned it.

salsmum Wed 14-Dec-16 04:44:41

A new set of Louise Theroux (sp) and what was that one about with the kids who had behaviour issues?. I love the 'fly on the wall ' type wink

Joinourclub Wed 14-Dec-16 04:52:44

Haha OP! I told my dh to 'make me cuppa tea!' today! Tried watching that programme with the different Muslims living together and it was just too annoying. Commented to my husband that I'd much rather watch a 'my family' version with fly on the wall in different Muslim households.

Bumbleclat Wed 14-Dec-16 21:10:27

I loved Lily Allen's documentary Rags to Riches. She's very honest and engaging and would make anything interesting.

iklboo Wed 14-Dec-16 21:14:20

A series of Time Commanders without Gregg Wallace. I tried to watch it this week and it was painful - him screaming 'you're getting mullered' and prancing around like a dick.

cushioncovers Sat 17-Dec-16 20:07:37

Toughest place to be a taxi driver with Mason McQueen

Castaway

Christmasnoooooooooooo Sun 18-Dec-16 13:12:30

Non citrus reador listen to Alan clumming book about his father is very very very good about living with a abuse.

Christmasnoooooooooooo Sun 18-Dec-16 13:14:05

There was a show like time commanders years ago it was brilliant had a great presenter Greg Wallace is under watchable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now