Talk

Advanced search

Black and British, BBC2

(15 Posts)
AdoraBell Wed 23-Nov-16 21:22:43

Straw poll. Not trying to be a goady fucker.

Watching this on BBC2. DH thanks the historian presenting it sounds bitter.

I don't think he does, what do you think?

user1471446905 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:23:48

Not remotely! Finding it fascinating as none of this was really covered at school!

NicknameUsed Wed 23-Nov-16 21:24:45

Watching it now. It sounds quite factual.

justicewomen Wed 23-Nov-16 21:26:47

Totally disagree with your husband. It is heartwarming and community-minded. The putting up plaques and bringing the local people together to celebrate forgotten but fascinating people from history.

AdoraBell Wed 23-Nov-16 21:37:17

So it's not just me then. DH clearly needs a slap hmm

Form an orderly que please.

OohhThatsMe Wed 23-Nov-16 22:43:55

Hope you like the music - it's written by my son's friend grin

quencher Wed 23-Nov-16 22:49:11

Ohhthatsme can you say a thank you to your son from me , please. A thank you also to all those involved.
I have followed all the series and found it fascinating. It's amazing to watch black British history instead of American ones.

nearlyhellokitty Wed 23-Nov-16 22:51:20

I honestly have loved this series - and the music is pretty haunting!!! All the incredible stories.

think your DH needs a bit of self examination Adora

OohhThatsMe Wed 23-Nov-16 22:52:51

Thank you - will pass on your messages!

AdoraBell Wed 23-Nov-16 23:03:46

Another thank you for your DS's friend from me OhhThatsMe

Yes nearlyhellokitty I'm just glad the DDs didn't here him. They would have torn him a new one.

quencher Wed 23-Nov-16 23:04:44

Op, even if he sounded bitter, I don't blame him. Tell your dh that his opinion does not matter when calling him bitter. Anyone who talks about slavery is called bitter and it's one of those issues that black people are told to shut up about and move on. He can keep his opinion to himself if he cannot understand where the presenter is coming from. Talking about his ancestors and how they were treated. I don't think anyone presenting it would be jumping for joy and praising what happened. Maybe your dh would. hmm
People are still suffering from the aftermath of slavery including the presenter. Secondly, slavery is not over, it has evolved into modern day slavery.

Ask your dh if racism still exist. I think I can assume what your his answer will be.

OohhThatsMe Wed 23-Nov-16 23:14:18

Oh that's really nice of you, AdoraBell.

Shallishanti Wed 23-Nov-16 23:17:57

not at all bitter
in fact, I have read reviews suggesting he was giving the (white) Brits an easy ride
music good!
I have just watched the most recent episode and very interested in the Lancashire segment (local) does anyone know if there was a connection between the Rochdale story and the co-op pioneers?

quencher Wed 23-Nov-16 23:37:54

Or that former slave Frederick Douglass (author of ‘Autobiography of a Slave’) spent a lot of time in Rochdale around the time the Rochdale Pioneers were setting up shop, and was great friends with the great Rochdale co-operative advocate John Bright, himself a vociferous abolitionist. Douglass was also hosted on his abolition crusade by early Scottish co-operators the Fennick Weavers.

Or, that the early slogan of the Co-operative Wholesale Society ‘Labor and Wait’ was spelled the American way specifically to demonstrate support for the anti-slavery movement.
http://kindling.org.uk/node/1295

This might answer your question.

Shallishanti Thu 24-Nov-16 14:37:22

thought so smile
thanks quencher, interesting site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now