We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

** Trigger Warning** DV Thread title changed by MNHQ Anne Robinson's Britain - Parenting anyone?

(94 Posts)
Hepzibar Thu 06-Oct-16 21:07:05

See mumsnet got a mention.

Some of these are shock

elephantoverthehill Thu 06-Oct-16 21:08:37

Well I am with the last family. Seat of your pants parenting.

Lovefromhull Thu 06-Oct-16 21:11:40

Was looking for a thread about this program. Yep- sets of pants for me too. They were all brave being filmed.

elephantoverthehill Thu 06-Oct-16 21:16:06

Sets of pants I've got a few of those too grin

GladysKravitz Thu 06-Oct-16 21:20:27

I found the single dad rather chilling, even before he got the ventriloquist dummy out shock He smacks the kids and makes them eat all of their dinner or they don't leave the table! And I have a relaxed attitude to housework but the house was a tip.

Hepzibar Thu 06-Oct-16 21:21:54

Tommy gets my vote too. I had a tear in my eye watching Tommy and his brood.

I just did the best I could - a mixture of all the styles seen tonight.( tried a behaviour chart for about 5 minutes - I got fed up before DC's bad mother )

elephantoverthehill Thu 06-Oct-16 21:26:56

#Gladys* he got the majority of the meal from the Food Bank.

Cathaka15 Thu 06-Oct-16 21:34:05

I thought the single dad was doing his best and the kids looked happy.

Hepzibar Thu 06-Oct-16 21:36:44

It would be very interesting if the BBC followed up these families to see how they faired. Bit like 7UP.

witsender Thu 06-Oct-16 21:44:01

Annie came across well. Religious dad with submissive wife is a bit scary.

Kitsandkids Thu 06-Oct-16 22:25:29

I think Tommy parents like a lot of people used to - smacking kids when they're naughty and making them eat their tea. Most people survived back then and his kids seem to be muddling through. I would not have let a camera crew on my house with that mound of laundry on the floor though!

The religious family was interesting. The kids had a real 'Stepford' feel to them and I wonder what the older girls privately think of their dad and his views on how wives should act.

I felt a bit sorry for the sporty children. Such long days! I hope they do grow up to appreciate all their mum is doing for them and don't see it all as a wasted childhood.

Idliketobeabutterfly Thu 06-Oct-16 22:30:09

Dad with hand on daughters leg surprised me.

MiracletoCome Fri 07-Oct-16 07:18:45

The bit where the father made them sit there until the food was eaten was very reminiscent of when I was young (1960's), it was very common then to have to sit there for hours, I had to, until the meal was eaten and also to have it served up for the next meal. I don't think people do that nowadays much and we didn't with DS (1990's)

JustDanceAddict Fri 07-Oct-16 09:13:05

Saw bits of this. obviuosly they're going for 'extremes' of parenting, the two mums who 'swapped' lives was reminiscent of Wife Swap - but if one could take away positive points from the other mum, good on them. Most families are probably far too boring to film as most are just bumbling along in middle-of-the-road way, which is really what Britain is doing!!

OurBlanche Fri 07-Oct-16 09:18:38

Of all of them the smacked, kids who were forced to eat all their dinner looked the happiest! Offering bums up for that 'smack' made me smile.

The high earning mum family were a tad uptight, I thought. All of them a little on edge.

The surrendered family were totally freaky! The look in the daughter's eyes... as she sat with her head hunched into her shoulders looking at Anne to see if she was approving... haunted... desperate!

We talked over the others smile

MargotLovedTom Fri 07-Oct-16 11:29:18

The religious family unnerved me the most: the father came across as horribly controlling, almost sinister. I hope the daughter goes away To university and lets her hair down, big time.
I liked Anne and her fabulous facial expressions. For someone who has presumably had plenty of work done, she can still convey so much with a raised eyebrow or a half smile.

FlameGrower Fri 07-Oct-16 12:41:23

I wonder if Anne would have been as enchanted with Tommy's parenting if he'd been a single mum rather than a single dad. Smacking aside he did seem a good parent.

Religious dad gave me the heebie jeebies.

Attachment parent mum seemed a bit selfish to me. So you want to be with your kids 24/7 that means they have to want the same? Send the kids to school you're clearly not up to the job of educating them all simultaneously.

FlameGrower Fri 07-Oct-16 12:42:20

Plus not leaving her children alone with their father until they were at least 2. That gives me the rage.

FlameGrower Fri 07-Oct-16 12:43:21

The two mums who swapped lives both seemed nice and it was good they could see the positives in the other's methods.

witsender Fri 07-Oct-16 13:29:27

I know Annie (attachment mum) personally, and her kids are fab. Well rounded, happy, well educated kids. Out pond dipping with my kids at the moment actually,at the nature study group that Annie set up and runs. As the kids are breastfed as youngsters it can make iy hard to leave them, especially if the kids don't want to. Remember these are carefully edited snippets.

ppeatfruit Fri 07-Oct-16 13:34:08

I thought that the 'attachment mum' who was calling herself a 'good' mother was hilarious , she was sitting with her baby facing way from her, but she was literally eating bits of tiny plastic toys out of a plastic bag!!!

ppeatfruit Fri 07-Oct-16 13:34:53

The baby was!

ppeatfruit Fri 07-Oct-16 13:36:37

The religious family were definitely creepy . He was holding his daughter's hand not her knee though.

viques Fri 07-Oct-16 13:43:23

I got the feeling that the clear your plate dad was being a tad ironic. From the look of those kids they looked like the sort of children who would happily eat everything put in front of them anyway, they were already asking for second helpings, looked active and lively and I thought they were a delight. not sure I would want to live next door to them mind, but then not sure I would want to live next door to anyone with 5 children.

viques Fri 07-Oct-16 13:45:39

Sorry, meant to say the submissive family were seriously creepy. I would take money on most of them being non contact with the parents by their mid twenties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now