Talk

Advanced search

The Level

(19 Posts)
susiella Sat 01-Oct-16 10:30:01

I think it's very good.. Exciting from the beginning and believable characters. However, one thing that really puzzled me, why did the main character Nancy & her friend Hayley have old style flip phones in the beginning? I kept thinking is it supposed to be miid-nineties? The cars (always a reliable indicator of when stuff is set ) were 2016 plates. Then suddenly they had iphones.. A small niggle but it's really bugging me! Any ideas?

mrs2cats Sat 01-Oct-16 14:53:28

Don't know either! I didn't notice Hayley's phone but I thought that Nancy had it as a kind of direct line to Le Saux.

Fiderer Sat 01-Oct-16 17:40:57

I don't understand why after he was shot she didn't tell anyone. She could have said he'd called and maybe it was about Hayley coming back. Or maybe something dodgy. He was a father figure to her.

Odd though seeing Thomas from Dowton & Mickey from Doctor Who. Threw me at first.

susiella Sat 01-Oct-16 18:25:36

Fiderer she would have had to explain her connection to him I think. Now it looks like she has collapsed due to infection from her own wounds.

Cocolepew Sat 01-Oct-16 19:21:30

I enjoyed it. The car going over the cliff was a bit obvious though, why do they always have to meet in dark, dangerous places?
Didn't enjoy explaining to DH that there are two Glenister brothers.
He argued black and blue that it was the same person in Paranoid the night before hmm

Fiderer Sat 01-Oct-16 20:55:13

susiella Yes, but has an explanation, re Hayley & what he said to do about her home life.

She seems to have got away with whatever she did for him before. Though we don't know what she did, must have been bad. Maybe she was concerned they'd go digging.

And ask why they met at night in woodland.

tralaaa Sun 02-Oct-16 22:45:59

I loved it. Going to watch it again tomorrow

corythatwas Fri 07-Oct-16 16:28:36

Some of the acting was good, some was a bit meh, the script is pretty implausible though.

If you have a gun shot you don't want people to find out about and a murder investigation you don't want to be involved in, why on earth would you not phone in sick rather than drag yourself into the police station?
(Downton Thomas could have told her all about it: "Mr Barrow is ill with influenza"= "Mr Barrow has just cut his wrists").

If you are frightened because you are being watched, why on earth would you consent to wait for someone on top of a cliff top in the dark? Just because they don't want to jeopardise their career?

And if you are that frightened of being seen together, why do you meet twice in the same exposed position on the pier, just to give any passer-by a good view?

And how can you be a policewoman and not know how to do basic first aid on a wound?

bumpetybumpbumpbump Fri 07-Oct-16 20:40:02

I did enjoy this and will watch again tonight but really, the woman being rammed off the cliff in her car would be dead!

PikachuSayBoo Fri 07-Oct-16 20:42:49

I'm looking forward to episode 2.

I couldn't understand why she didn't ring the murder in. Surely explaining her connection to him would consist of "old family friend who rang and asked me to meet him".

Cliffdiver Fri 07-Oct-16 20:46:49

Glad I saw this thread as it's reminded me to watch tonight.

I live just to the east of Brighton and there were a lot of inaccuracies re location in the last episode, so am hoping the next one will be better. IIRC, Newhaven was actually Telscombe Cliffs and Telscombe Cliffs was actually Peacehaven grin

Sativa Sat 08-Oct-16 23:24:32

I don't understand why she bothered even talking to the pharmacists - she could easily have quickly browsed & then left and told her colleague (Gunner) that there were no leads.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 09-Oct-16 08:26:53

I guess so we could then have the story line that the chemist rings back to say they have the cctv but then it's been picked up by a rogue courier so she now knows there's a leak/dodgy copper. Without that story line we wouldn't have known.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 09-Oct-16 08:27:49

And after e2 I understand why she didn't ring the shooting in, she's been covering stuff up for the dead bloke for ages.

She's still got a 1990s samsung flip phone.

NoelHeadbands Sun 09-Oct-16 08:32:26

I thought that the flip phone was what Le Saux used to contact her on and that's why she's freaked that somebody else is texting her on it now

But I admit I'm getting a bit lost with it

Cocolepew Sun 09-Oct-16 10:04:21

When she opened the flipphone at the end of the last one, the mute button was on but we could hear the text messages coming through. I never notice things like this so thought I'd share grin.
Why is the fancy house built on a main road with giant windows? Is it a private road? It looks odd.

Abominablebride Sun 09-Oct-16 12:55:54

I'm enjoying this but was a little puzzled by the ease of her tracing the phone especially with the loud voice giving her directions when she was supposed to be sneaking round the warehouse hmm

Sativa Tue 11-Oct-16 19:43:40

I know if nothing happened there would be no story but I do prefer things to be believable at least. confused

corythatwas Wed 12-Oct-16 11:10:31

Me too, Abominable. That loud phone voice did horrible things to my suspended disbelief.

It's when you're watching a supposedly gritty and realistic crime drama and find yourself muttering 'they could never have got away with this in Midsumer'.

Am I the only one thinking the murderer will turn out to be DS O'Dowd? At least that would provide some kind of twist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now