Talk

Advanced search

Call the midwife questions

(37 Posts)
Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:23:26

Watching call the midwife again

I do love that show

One thing I always wonder is, why do they do enemas?

When did they stop doing them?

BertieBotts Fri 23-Sep-16 20:27:00

I guess they did them to prevent embarrassment when you poo during labour? Or possibly it was a bit more medical than that. They stopped them because it isn't necessary and it can irritate the bowel.

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:28:27

Thought it might be something to do with poo...

It's odd watching it knowing about sister evangelina

TeaBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 20:31:59

My mum had one and I am 30

EvansAndThePrince Fri 23-Sep-16 20:33:55

There was definitely a proper reason but I forget what it was...

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:33:57

What about sister evangelina?

HuckleberryGin Fri 23-Sep-16 20:34:21

I had one in labour with ds. Because I was really constipated and midwife noticed during a vaginally check.

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:35:35

Have you not seen season 5 yet wowbutter?

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:35:47

Oh and enemas not only stopped mums pooing in labour, but can give the baby more room to more during birth.

Neither are true.

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:37:54

No... What? I don't know if I have, I don't know! Tell me!

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:38:43

I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it...

Is that what they thought then? It gives baby more room to labour in?

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:40:56

I like spoilers!!!

peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 23-Sep-16 20:41:00

Oh god, you're about to ruin Wow's evening shock

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:42:18

I did a history degree module and we stipulated the history of birth. Emptying the bowel is thought to speed up labour as it can give the baby more room when moving down the birth canal, it can speed up labour my forcing the muscles to contract and then it also stops pooing during labour. Which is more sanitary and controlled.

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:43:14

Sister Evangelina dies. Stroke if I remember correctly

The funeral is heart breaking to watch

wowbutter Fri 23-Sep-16 20:45:16

Oh fucking hell, she was awesome.
Was it a good death? Gonna have to get it on dvd to have a watch. How sad.

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:47:08

She goes to sleep by the fire and doesn't wake up again. Very dignified

sodabreadjam Fri 23-Sep-16 20:47:25

I had enemas before both of my DSs who were born in the UK - they are 34 and 32 now.

With DS1 I was in the early stages of labour when it was done and I think it actually dragged the labour out - he had more room.

I was induced with DS2 - taken in and "prepped" the day before. Don't think it made much difference.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 23-Sep-16 20:48:57

Yes, they believed it gave baby more room and that if they didn't do it, it would slow labour.

In the episode where Chummy's mum dies and Jenny leaves, Jenny is berated for not doing the enema. Evangelina says "no enema, and you wonder why labour has stalled" poor mum2be was just exhausted!

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:49:27

Feel free to not answer this question but does it hurt?

The girls face when she has one makes it look quite uncomfortable

Imnotaslimjim Fri 23-Sep-16 20:50:53

I meant to say - it's going to be very strange watching it at Christmas and after this year without Sr Evangelina. She was the heart of Poplar sad

Wonderflonium Fri 23-Sep-16 20:50:57

They still offer them in Denmark. (I think it's because they think the woman will be inhibited in the pushing stage)

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:52:43

I'm on the call the midwife Facebook page and it looks like it will be good. Strange without sister Evangelina though

It did confirm that Chummy would be back in it only for a few weeks later state that actually no, Chummy won't be back

Soubriquet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:54:39

How much has little Angela grown though?

sodabreadjam Fri 23-Sep-16 20:54:39

It was uncomfortable as I recall, but not painful. I made numerous trips to the loo - annoying because of my bulk at forty weeks and already having to pee loads.

"Shave and enema" was the thing then - only no-one had told me about it until I was about 35 weeks. I remember being particularly outraged at the thought of the shave. You were never told by any healthcare professionals that any of this was optional - it just happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now