Talk

Advanced search

Goodnight Sweetheart

(65 Posts)
celeste83 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:03:54

Did anyone else watch the one-off Goodnight Sweetheart last night? I had literally no idea they were doing a re-make and then saw it billed up after Eastenders. I loved it and I want another series now. Its sort of like a corny British version of Back to the future I guess ha.

CheeseandGherkins Sat 03-Sep-16 10:04:45

Oh was it just a one off? I thought it was a new series. I watched it and enjoyed it.

celeste83 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:07:47

I know the episode was sort of scripted like was to be a series with the way he said he would see his daughter again (heres hoping it was the producers putting it out as feeler).

IneedAdinosaurNickname Sat 03-Sep-16 10:10:53

Loved it. Really want a new series now. Although might spend the weekend watching all the original series grin

woodhill Sat 03-Sep-16 10:16:22

Yes I loved it too, so clever. I hope they re run the old series.

I like Nicholas Lyndhurst in this.

CheeseandGherkins Sat 03-Sep-16 10:17:17

I hope they do make a new series. Did you think that Reg hasn't aged at all?! He looked exactly the same as he did before.

SecretSpy Sat 03-Sep-16 10:17:47

I'll see if it's on iPlayer, I like Nicholas Lyndhurst generally, he's very watchable.

BertieBotts Sat 03-Sep-16 10:19:49

Ooh I didn't know about this! I will have to look it up. I used to like watching the reruns smile

Twoseventhsaweasley Sat 03-Sep-16 10:20:51

I really enjoyed it too. I read that the actress who played Ellie is the real life daughter of the actress who played Yvonne.

I was a bit confused about Michael's age though. I thought he was about 3/4 when the last series ended so he should be 20 ish in 1962 not 18 and taking his A levels.

I hope they make a new series.

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 03-Sep-16 10:22:24

I loved it, too. I hope they make more.

celeste83 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:32:08

Ha yes Reg hasn't aged one bit although Nicholas Lyndhurst has a bit. To be honest i think the writers had a bit of writers licence to lie a little bit about the true year it would be in the past. I'm not sure if right now the Cuban missile crisis would be going on. we've got the boxset at home smile

JudyCoolibar Sat 03-Sep-16 10:41:29

I enjoyed it. With the original series, I always wondered what would have happened with the Beatles if he'd already nicked all their songs, and I liked the fact that they cleared that one up.

If they carry on, I guess he could make an absolute fortune betting on things like Foinavon and the 1966 World Cup.

celeste83 Sat 03-Sep-16 10:47:28

The writers obviously love the beatles. They nearly always namecheck them or use a song of theres in every episode seemingly. I liked that quip about unity in Europe hehe.

ShelaghTurner Sat 03-Sep-16 10:58:43

I loved the original and was wary about them bringing it back but it was fab. Enjoyed seeing 2016 through Gary's eyes when it used to be the other way round. Also made me realise how much has changed since 1999 when the last episode was set. And clever observations about smartphones grin

AndYourBirdCanSing Sat 03-Sep-16 12:10:07

Oh I loved it. Really hope they do another series!

Shenanagins Sat 03-Sep-16 12:23:11

I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it! Let's hope they bring it back.

ellenanora5 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:41:13

I really liked it, I only ever saw the first series, not sure why I never saw the rest but if it came back I would watch it.

The Hyacinth Bucket episode on the other hand was complete and utter crap.

IneedAdinosaurNickname Sat 03-Sep-16 12:50:58

ellenanora5

The Hyacinth Bucket episode on the other hand was complete and utter crap.

I'd agree with that. I was really disappointed with it.

JudyCoolibar Sat 03-Sep-16 13:34:22

Interesting that we've now had four of these programmes and the ones that work least are the ones where they try to get current actors recreating the original people, albeit at different times. I think both Goodnight Sweetheart and Porridge worked predominantly because they didn't try to do that, and because they had the original writers.

celeste83 Sat 03-Sep-16 13:54:49

There is a Porridge one aswell? shock how does that work without Ronnie Baker then?

IneedAdinosaurNickname Sat 03-Sep-16 13:55:47

There was an open all.hours one as well.

IneedAdinosaurNickname Sat 03-Sep-16 13:56:42

No there wasn't!!!! It was are you being served. Sorry blush

JudyCoolibar Sat 03-Sep-16 14:03:35

Celeste, it was the original Fletch's grandson in prison with a completely new set of characters, some of whom however had similarities to the originals. I recommend watching it, it's on iPlayer.

Toofat2BtheFly Sat 03-Sep-16 14:40:00

Just watched it on catch up ....bloody brilliant ! .

I hope they bring it back grin

Yoksha Sat 03-Sep-16 15:17:22

Dh & I thoroughly enjoyed this. All concerned created an enjoyable half-hour. I snorted with laughter when Nicholas Lyndhurst's character came back through the cubicle wall with the burly bloke sitting on the loo.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now