Talk

Advanced search

Chronicles of Nadiya

(55 Posts)
MakemineaGandT Wed 24-Aug-16 21:53:20

Anyone watching? I think it's fantastic. So interesting to learn about Bangladeshi/Muslim culture through her eyes. She's such a genuine, warm and thoughtful person. If you happen to see this Nadiya - very well done and thank you!

sglodion Wed 24-Aug-16 21:54:24

I'm watching too. Pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be quite boring but I'm enjoying it.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Aug-16 21:56:18

She is really good in front of the camera.

Maudlinmaud Wed 24-Aug-16 21:57:12

Heartbreaking hearing her speak about arranged marraiges. An intersting watch and I also wish her further success.

Chewbecca Wed 24-Aug-16 21:58:27

She's still lovely! Interesting.

NoahVale Wed 24-Aug-16 21:58:48

she is so good isnt she
so good in front of the camera

MakemineaGandT Wed 24-Aug-16 21:59:21

It's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. I really felt for her when she described being torn between two cultures and not feeling "at home" anywhere.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Aug-16 21:59:35

The arranged marriage part was interesting. She is obviously happy with hers and yet still wouldn't wish it for her children.

livvylongpants Wed 24-Aug-16 22:02:38

I found the arranged marriage bit sad too, felt very much that women can't be happy, she's never been on a train without her husband dropping her one end and her brother meeting her the other.

Was lovely to see the family aspect, such big families with love for one another, couldn't tell you last time I saw my cousin let alone 2nd, 3rd 4 th etc

GinIceAndASlice Wed 24-Aug-16 22:05:15

Loved it! Really interesting and moving. I really didnt expect it to be so personal.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:05:30

I loved it. She is a sweetheart and I wish she was my friend! I love learning about other cultures; I think we see a lot of negatively portrayed Muslim activities in the news and a lot of what we do experience comes from Pakistan. Bangladeshis seem to have quite a different take on it, and their big family gatherings make me sad about my fractured family.

Stinkerbelle37 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:08:58

When she talked about feeling at home in both places, but how can UK be home when she has received racist abuse here. Somehow her standing in her family's home surroundedv by her family, made that such a powerful statement.

As others have said, didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Was really good.

MakemineaGandT Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:44

I think she knows she's been lucky with her marriage - and that she might not have been. The close family etc is lovely if it "works" but I can imagine it could be hell too. Nadiya knows this I'm sure.........it's a fascinating and personal programme - very honest

Dozer Wed 24-Aug-16 22:11:28

Really interesting. Don't know much at all about Bangladesh.

The wedding guests didn't look keen on the pumpkin cake!

Randytortoise Wed 24-Aug-16 22:15:49

I really enjoyed it, so interesting to have such an up close and personal insight on a different culture. I'm really pleasantly surprised only started watching it as I couldn't find the remote

Brokenbiscuit Wed 24-Aug-16 22:15:49

Really interesting programme, and as someone else said, very honest.

I love Nadiya. smile

LewisFanIsBack Wed 24-Aug-16 22:19:45

I would love to meet her... I don't live too far from her and hope to bump in to her one day but I don't think it'll ever happen

Graceflorrick Wed 24-Aug-16 22:21:29

I love her grin

jay55 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:23:48

Loved it. Often when they do cooking shows the chefs are quite patronising so it was lovely to have someone who was at home.

tiktok Wed 24-Aug-16 22:37:38

I loved it. So interesting to see her cooking with her family. She is one of nature's lovely people - sincere and open and warm.

I felt sad for that bride. She really did not look happy - it might be traditional not to smile but boy oh boy she looked as if her life was over.

Hassled Wed 24-Aug-16 22:39:57

Yes, the reaction to the Pumpkin Cake was hilarious - they bloody hated it. But I loved the show - love Nadiya.

NeedAnotherGlass Wed 24-Aug-16 22:41:52

What a brilliant programme. Such a lovely insight into life in Bangladesh combined with interesting cooking. They clearly aren't used to cakes!
And Nadiya is just amazing.

SealSong Wed 24-Aug-16 22:44:27

Great show all round. Really enjoyed it.

themorus Wed 24-Aug-16 22:57:06

Thoroughly enjoyed it, found it fascinating. She seems so lovely, engaging and knowledgeable. Cried when she cried, I really felt for her when she described feeling torn between two places and when saying she gadgets been racially abused.

DH sat through it too and agreed it was interesting, he wasn't planning on watching it.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Aug-16 09:01:00

She talked in front of the camera as if she is talking to a person - she isn't presenting a programme, she is having a conversation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now