Talk

Advanced search

The Olympics

(14 Posts)
grimbletart Thu 04-Aug-16 19:08:32

Thought I start a thread as the big wingding starts tomorrow (in fact footie has started already).

Seems much more low key than 2012 (apart from the Russian drugs scandal) but I suppose that's to be expected.

Looking forward to it anyway…...

olympicfan Thu 04-Aug-16 20:07:19

Me too!

Bought the Radio Times for the first time in years to schedule my Olympic viewing between decorating DS bedroom.

Igottastartthinkingbee Thu 04-Aug-16 20:11:58

Ooh yes, must get the radio times in! So much to see although lots of good stuff is in the middle of the night. We'll probably just end up watching the highlights shows each night. Can't wait although it'll have to go some to be as good as London 2012.

CatherineDeB Fri 05-Aug-16 20:22:42

I need to buy the radio times then! I searched for an Olympic thread before starting one.

I love the Olympics. Haven't had a TV for a very long time until recently so I am definitely going to plan what I want to watch.

Perhaps someone can tell me what the BBC Red Button thing is (I can google of course). We just have an ordinary TV with whatever it is you need to watch free TV built in.

GreenShadow Fri 05-Aug-16 20:44:00

Really looking forward to it. Just a pity that a lot of the big events are on during our night-time.

Ferguson Fri 05-Aug-16 20:53:49

Catherine - If you mean 'Freeview', Red Button is on 601 I think. And Ceefax 'sport' will have headlines, for each different sport.

You need to get a Hard Disc recorder, then you can program it to record during the night; we watch most things off recordings. And, of course, it will all be repeated the next day, but if you want it 'live' you either have to sit up all night, or get a recorder, but even that is a few hours later. Plus, Radio 5 might have some (but it's not quite the same on radio!) and I guess a lot will be on Internet channels (but I don't much about that.)

CatherineDeB Fri 05-Aug-16 21:15:49

Thank you Ferguson, free view sounds familiar. I haven't had a tv for nearly 30 years and watch about two hours a week so knowing about it hasn't been a priority.

Even now I am sat here watching Claire Balding thinking I could be doing something else even though I want to watch it - just not in the habit I guess.

Dolly80 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:21:59

I love the olympics, one of the greatest moments of my life was being able to go to the athletics at London 2012.

I'm looking forward to Rio. They've got an uphill battle following the Russian doping scandal, zika and worries about their 'preparedness' but, fingers crossed, it'll all work out well.

Does anyone have a favourite event? Rowing's quite fun in our house as my partners a kiwi and they're pretty good at it too.

CatherineDeB Fri 05-Aug-16 21:26:00

We are a mixed bag/house. DH likes cycling and swimming, my dad was a swimmer/gymnast so I have grown up with an interest in those. Love the equestrian bit but have no interest in cycling even though I cycle a lot myself, enjoy athletics.

Suppose if I could only watch two it would be equestrian and athletics.

CocktailQueen Fri 05-Aug-16 21:26:16

I can't wait either. Went to the cross-country - horses - and marathon in London 2012. Am looking forward to gymnastics, equestrian, diving, and athletics...

Dolly80 Fri 05-Aug-16 21:27:36

I forgot rugby sevens is at this games. I'd love Fiji to win that.

olympicfan Sat 06-Aug-16 13:38:56

Triathlon for me!

We went to a morning session of the athletics in 2012 and saw Usain Bolt in the 200m heats. When we left the stadium we headed for the big screen at the Olympic Park. We watched the Brownlee brothers win Gold and Bronze, then 2 cycling golds, then dressage gold.

We were up and down all afternoon for our national anthem playing!! Such special memories.

(Our night at the Paralympics watching David Weir win his first gold was a bigger spectacle than the actual Olympics. The atmosphere was amazing).

Enjoyed the Brazilian opening ceremony. What a wonderful gesture to have the Brazilian marathon runner lighting the flame. (He was leading the Athens Olympics by some way when a spectator- the mad Irish priest who disrupted the F1 Grand Prix- rugby tackled him off the course. He lost his rhythm, was over taken but held on to win bronze in spite of the incident).

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 06-Aug-16 14:06:04

So much to look forward to....eventing, dressage, triathlon, athletics, gymnastics, cycling, swimming, diving.....

Dolly80 Sat 06-Aug-16 16:20:48

I couldn't decide what to watch earlier so flitted between rowing, water polo and then women's sevens. Having played touch rugby before (very badly) they make it look so easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now