Queer as folk

(38 Posts)
validusername Tue 21-Jun-16 13:21:57

I've been off work sick since yesterday and have binged watch Queer as folk.

I just can't believe I was 12 when this was first on telly. I have an almost 12 year old DD and not sure I would let her watch!

I forgot how good it was.

Clayhead Tue 21-Jun-16 22:18:41

It's brilliant! I rewatched in a binge whilst pregnant.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 21-Jun-16 22:20:09

I suggested this to a mate earlier.

Awesome series.

Vixxfacee Tue 21-Jun-16 22:22:04

I loved it too. I'm sure I was only 11 or 12 when it was on. Used to watch it in my bedroom. I can't believe myself and friends would be watching this.
Bring it Back!

validusername Tue 21-Jun-16 23:18:41

I almost welled up when Vince and Stuart ran to the podium together at the end of series 1. And how much I thought Nathan was a bit of a twat when I watched it aged 12, and now see how wrong it was blush

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 21-Jun-16 23:20:45

Did you watch Cucumber recently? Same writer, absolutely amazing and a few familiar faces.

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 21-Jun-16 23:25:41

I loved it then (another one who shouldn't have been watching- I was 13) and love it now. I've rematched many times and it never loses its edge or charm. I used to watch it with earphones in on my little telly in my room... Then about three weeks in found that my Mum, 42 at the time, was watching downstairs too. From then on we watched it together and it opened up a line of communication between us that really strengthened our relationship at a time when I was a difficult pain in the arse of a kid. Amazing how a TV programme can do that!

Cucumber, Russell T Davies' amazing 2015 series, is worth a watch if you love QAF. The natural successor to QAF, it's about middle aged gay men in Manchester and sort of tells you what happens when Stewart and Vince et al grew up. In my opinion Henry, the main character in Cucumber, is what would have happened to Vince- outwardly straight laced but with a mad streak that propels the story forward. A properly amazing bit of telly.

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 21-Jun-16 23:26:02

Cross post, Dame!

validusername Wed 22-Jun-16 08:01:19

I haven't seen cucumber but next on the list, thanks for the recommendation.

Clayhead Wed 22-Jun-16 12:52:09

Cucumber was amazing and THAT episode was the most mesmerising hour of TV I saw last year.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Jun-16 12:59:21

Yep, it was incredible.

validusername Wed 22-Jun-16 13:02:15

Still off work poorly sick, so am now about to start episode 4 of cucumber making the most of DH and the dc not being here.

I'm enjoying it so far, but am intrigued to watch THAT episode whenever it comes.

Lucked Wed 22-Jun-16 13:09:13

I had no idea 4 had so many box sets on their app.

MrsJayy Wed 22-Jun-16 13:31:22

12 years ago my dd was 11 i wouldnt have let her watch it I did though and loved it went a bit silly series 2 though.I didnt watch cucumber as it seemed to have other parts going on online i was confused can you watch cucumber without watching the other 1

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Jun-16 13:35:21

Yes it's linked but Cucumber is a stand alone drama.

validusername Wed 22-Jun-16 17:39:58

So I have literally binge watched cucumber all day as k quite clearly have nothing better to do whilst ill.

It was good but it wasn't queer as folk good. And poor Lance, I liked him. Fabulous acting by all though.

And have now added Annie Lennox, Little bird to my playlist for the car grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Jun-16 17:40:45

Where did you watch it? I want to watch it again!

FellOutOfBed2wice Wed 22-Jun-16 18:06:25

It's on All4. That episode was the best thing I've seen on TV in years. DH and I sat open mouthed.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Jun-16 18:08:10

Yeah, I did too. Amazing TV. The day after I watched it I just wandered round thinking 'WTF?!'

validusername Wed 22-Jun-16 18:16:57

Yeah it shook me up too as I wasn't expecting it. The way he just sat there sad.

The scene in qaf where Phill goes home with the cocaine guy and then dies really haunted me at the time. Especially as a 12 year old.

TheMagicToyshop Wed 22-Jun-16 18:19:09

Argh I love queer as folk so much. I swear it was part of the reason I moved to Manchester.

Such well drawn characters, I love Hazel and can't STAND smug Cameron. I also loved Nathan's friend Donna and was sad when she wasn't in series 2. Little moments from the series often run through my head in day to day life, like the D.I.S.C.O eulogy and the bit in the final episode where Vince sees a really camp little boy in the parade and shouts 'He's not gay!'. And when they dance on the podium to 'the key, the secret', such a perfect moment.

Did anyone watch the American version of QAF? It was so crap. I remember their version of Nathan was this all American jock type with a US flag on his bedroom wall in place of Nathan's 90s posters, so wrong.

Banana, the companion 'yoof' series to Cucumber is also worth watching although nothing touches the original.

MrsJayy Wed 22-Jun-16 19:01:42

Us queer as folk was terrible it really didnt translate very well same with the US shameless it was just wrong, ive found cucumber going to start watching iy at the weekend

Sandbagsandgladrags Wed 22-Jun-16 19:19:28

I rewatched QAF as well recently. Does anyone think it would be made now - in 2016? I was a little bit younger than Nathan was meant to be when this came out, and knew gay school friends who were seeing much older men. Nobody seemed to think much of it at the time. Wouldn't we now think it was really dodgy? It doesn't seem in QAF that anyone finds it particularly alarming that Stuart - a grown man - is sleeping with a 15 year old...

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Jun-16 19:36:58

Hmmm dunno , there's definitely friction with his mum as she is up in arms but Hazel calms her down and tells her that she'll push him away if she objects. I do know what you mean though.

FellOutOfBed2wice Wed 22-Jun-16 19:54:23

I don't think QAF would shake the viewing public now the way it did then... But it's kind of a paradox because one of the reasons I don't think people would mind as much is because QAF was made, if you see what I mean. Remember even though it was only 17 years ago, it was a different county in loads of ways... The gay age of consent was still older than the straight one, gay marriage was a distant dream.... One of the things I noticed when watching Cucumber was that it didn't feel as shocking, almost like we had come of age as a nation and it was just a drama about some gay men rather than a gay drama.

That episode truly did shock me as though it has happened. I couldn't sleep that night and had to immediately rewatch the next day. Truly breathtaking. I felt like I really had lived his life with him and the final two episodes made me feel like I was living this new reality with Henry. And I cried a lot at the brilliantly written and well acted scene in episode 7 where Henry, Freddie and Dean spill their guts to each other in the car in the rain. Also respect to James Murray who plays Daniel. He was so convincing as the sexually messed up psychopath that I can't see him now without shivering a little.

Agree that Banana is good. It's more hit and miss than Cucumber but episodes 1, 2, 5 and 6 are especially worth watching, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now