Versailles last night - what did you think?

(16 Posts)
DreamingofSummer Thu 02-Jun-16 11:23:47

Looked magnificent.

Lots of fun but but not much depth. Plenty of sex and violence but no characters to sympathise with other than the female doctor.

Very strange ending. Anyone know if this is historically accurate?

Moanranger Thu 02-Jun-16 15:05:48

I was basically bored. Lots of rumpy pumpy does not make up for a non-existent storyline. Major flaw - you couldn't tell the actors apart! Not wasting my time watching any more.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 02-Jun-16 15:11:00

Yes, moan they looked too alike. Esp whilst shagging and you couldn't see the King's blue eyes. He could have been his brother then.

Agree that the only character to care about is the doctor/s.

I really enjoyed it, looking forward to more! Ending was really odd, can't find any truth to it so far, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

The life of women in court was pretty horrific - giving birth in front of an audience! I didn't realise that happened. And the coded message so the King could compose himself if it was a girl.

The period stains on the washing was odd - so neat. And intrigued by the openness of Phillippe's love life, apparently it was well known he was gay at the time and very feminine, which Louis encouraged as it made him seem more manly in contrast.

Mominatrix Thu 02-Jun-16 15:21:54

I was wondering if there would be a thread for this show. It was a complete load of shite and historically took loads of liberties (the development of the Chateau de Versailles was not so neat and compact, Monsieur was not as bored as portrayed and certainly was not as violent towards his wives, not even going to comment on the Queen and her love child). Terrible acting, but the script was shockingly bad. Louis was completely wooden and wet, and don't get me started on the hair.

It was so bad that it was funny.

8misskitty8 Thu 02-Jun-16 16:23:33

It was dire. Acting was atrocious. Even the sex scenes were laughable. 10mins in and I actually laughed seeing the blow job scene. That poor guy has obviously never experienced one in real life if the 'acting' is anything to go by !

ApocalypseSlough Thu 02-Jun-16 16:35:52

I half watched and thought it was rubbish. The baby at the end was ridiculous- could they not find a black newborn? hmm

dementedma Thu 02-Jun-16 21:57:13

Don't know what all the hype was about. Sex scenes were tame, hard to tell the actors apart with all those wigs, baby at the end was huge and painted!!!!
Fun though!

Allalonenow Thu 02-Jun-16 23:46:36

Too much like The Musketeers, but the men all looked very alike, with awful hair.
There was little plot, but plenty of waffle.
Why was the woman being beaten, just for fun I suppose?
And the end was rubbish.

DreamingofSummer Fri 03-Jun-16 10:32:42

I think they should give the actors football-style numbers so we can tell which character is which.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Fri 03-Jun-16 19:10:59

I'm glad it wasn't just me who struggled to tell the characters apart.

I thought it was good fun. Utterly ridiculous, sex and violence and some very pretty countryside.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 03-Jun-16 19:14:59

It was unbelievably bad, hated the incredibly glam historians at the end too.

SlinkyVagabond Fri 03-Jun-16 19:26:48

That baby! It was like someone had made a huge model of a newborn and dipped it in milk chocolate.

dementedma Fri 03-Jun-16 19:29:29

The woman was beating herself - flagellation to purge herself from guilt

EnidButton Sat 04-Jun-16 23:21:45

I'm not sure about it. I love ant to like it. I'm not too bothered about historical accuracy and don't mind a bit of artistic license. I loved The Tudors. Not arsed (!) by sex scenes either.

But I would like a plot I can follow, characters I can recognise from each other and someone or something to empathise with or get behind.

I hadn't a clue who half the men were. The wigs and ridiculous stick on taches didn't help. Wtf is the guy rampaging around hammering people to death and why?

Why was the woman whipping herself? Who is she?

EachandEveryone Sun 05-Jun-16 07:29:57

The lovers all looked the same? Was he shsgging his gay brothers wife?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now