Myleene single mums

(16 Posts)
Lilaclily Wed 01-Jun-16 12:23:19

Is there a thread ?
Just watching on catch up now

seeyounearertime Wed 01-Jun-16 12:27:27

I dont think there is a thread, i dont think it's been watched or well received by many people at all.

I avoided it, so i shouldnt really be saying anything about it i guess, it just looked horrific and the whole premise was ill conceived at best, insulting at worst.

dottypotter Wed 01-Jun-16 14:05:51

there has been some criticism of the programme.

HelenaDove Wed 01-Jun-16 14:37:11

I did watch it and cringed a lot. One of the single parents was caring for her grandmother as well and this was just glossed over. It could have been used as an oppertunity to point out how much carers actually do for very little.

And if you are going to do a programme like this shouldnt the question be asked about whether Child Support is being paid and how hard it is to actually access.

Lilaclily Wed 01-Jun-16 14:39:22

It's hard to warm to her, she just seems disingenuous to me

Emochild Wed 01-Jun-16 14:41:19

Thought it was funny that mumsnet got a mention off the single dad

He said there was lots of support out there for women -like mumsnet, but there was nothing for men

Pretty sure men are allowed on mumsnet

ChicRock Wed 01-Jun-16 14:43:21

I've tried to, but I just cannot like Myleene Klass. I cringed through 10 minutes then turned over.

HeckyWithTheGoodBear Wed 01-Jun-16 14:45:02

Funny how she didn't have a problem at all with the bedroom tax but was happy to disagree with the mansion tax. Can't stand her

NoahVale Wed 01-Jun-16 14:46:49

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jun/01/myleene-klass-single-mums-on-benefits-review

BeckerLleytonNever Wed 01-Jun-16 17:40:55

One of the single parents was caring for her grandmother as well and this was just glossed over. It could have been used as an oppertunity to point out how much carers actually do for very little.

^^ this. also, no mention of single parent carers for disabled children who have no choice but to be on carers/disability/income support etc.

AND have absolutely NO ONE else in the world to support/help/encourage.

Myleeene has it all. I mean, nice there was a programme about it, but not the right way.

HelenaDove Wed 01-Jun-16 23:16:16

Exactly Becker. And there is a high amount of single parents doing just that because a lot of marriages break up under the pressure of caring for disabled/ill children.

So the programme does not have the excuse of saying there arent enough single parents around who are in this position.

gingerhobo48 Thu 02-Jun-16 08:10:11

Can't stand Mylene Klass, far too smug, can't imagine her having any empathy/sympathy for the people she spoke too.I could be really wrong though as I know very little about MK other than I really don't like her. She is a talented pianist though I guess.

seeyounearertime Thu 02-Jun-16 08:33:13

I think she was a tupid choice for a presnter of this sort of program. I swear the producers have no thought in their heads,
"Who shall we get to interview people who are struggling financially, looking after children on their own, worrying about where money is coming from, living in small flats and houses and almost starving because they have to use food banks?..... Who was that woman that was moaning about having to pay tax on her massive mansion and that makes an absolutely grotesque amount of money by flogging crappy clothes through a catalogue, a catalogue that often traps the very people shes interviewing into a life of debt and desperation? she'd be perfect..."

Summerdays11 Thu 02-Jun-16 08:39:33

What side is this on ?

seeyounearertime Thu 02-Jun-16 08:48:43

Summer

ITV, even though it sounds more like something on Channel 5

TheUnsullied Thu 02-Jun-16 09:02:13

The whole program was a complete cop out. Benefits mentioned in the title almost exclusively to get people watching as it was barely touched on. Ditto naming it as Single Mums rather than Single Parents. The stigma of single parenting, especially while in receipt of benefits, is almost exclusively on the mother. Single fathers are held in very high regard. Such a cop out that the most poignant story was about a single dad. They missed an opportunity to do something extremely provocative.

Where were the mothers who'd fled DV with their children?
Where were the mothers who have gone back into education to make themselves more employable?
Where were the mothers whose children's fathers had left specifically because they decided after becoming a parent that it isn't what they wanted?

It really annoyed me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now