Talk

Advanced search

GOT newbie - is it worth it?

(13 Posts)
Mumonthesofa Tue 26-Apr-16 09:20:49

Following all the hype for the start of season 6 I took the plunge last night and watched the first ever episode. Is it worth watching?
I was a bit 😮 at the incest! I find it hard following lots of characters - shall I commit the next couple of months ploughing through 5 seasons?

MintyChapstick Tue 26-Apr-16 09:31:28

Yes, it's worth watching. The more you watch, the mlre desensitised you become to the sex and violence.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 26-Apr-16 09:33:14

Another newbie here! I have bought seasons 1-4 on DVD and recording season 6. Haven't started watching it yet though so would be interested in other people's opinions

CosmicOwl Tue 26-Apr-16 09:34:52

Apparently it's the most popular series worldwide ever, that many people can't be wrong surely. I think it's fantastic, never a dull or predictable moment.

BillBrysonsBeard Wed 27-Apr-16 07:29:53

I found the first few episodes confusing, too many characters.. I gave up the first time when it came out! But people were always going on about it so I tried again and ploughed through the first few, and then couldn't stop putting the next episode on. Whole evenings lost! grin Do it OP!

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 27-Apr-16 07:31:29

I'm considering it too as my dd loves it.

littlejeopardy Wed 27-Apr-16 07:38:18

I am catching up on season 5 now and still loving it. But Season 1 is spectacular. I know it feels like there is a lot to get your head around at first but when you get to episode 10 and look back you will see how everything was building towards the season climax.
It's excellent story telling and everything is done with high quality ; the acting, wardrobe, sets, special effects. Its done brilliantly.
Stick with it and come back and tell us what you think after you finish season 1!

barcelosthehappychicken Wed 27-Apr-16 07:51:02

Yes yes yes.

On paper it's not my cup of tea at all, fantasy, made up stuff.

For me it's the character interactions. And all of the female characters are so strong, even when they are hideously evil, you still respect their character.

And so many unexpected twists and shocks. And the Imp, I just love him.

NickiFury Thu 28-Apr-16 01:42:02

It's worth watching for Tyrion and his barbed comments alone.

GraysAnalogy Thu 28-Apr-16 01:51:52

Oh yes
I never thought I'd like it. People kept banging on about it and I was all meh. I watched 2 episodes and have never looked back, read the books too

maggiso Thu 28-Apr-16 13:39:24

I saw bits of the first episode (being watched by DH and teen DS) and was both appalled and confused, so did not bother (and stopped DS watching it) - until I started reading the books. I am now awaiting each episode eagerly. It took a while to get into it because I wanted maps and family trees to clarify some of my confusion. There is a Wiki section which helps explain who is who, and that helped - along with reading the books.

scandichick Thu 28-Apr-16 14:10:32

I used to read the reviews of each episode on screenran in the beginning - only way to get the names right. So worth it though - give it a shot!

scandichick Thu 28-Apr-16 14:10:59

Screenrant, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now