Talk

Advanced search

FILM RECOMMENDATIONS

(9 Posts)
MoragPadel Tue 15-Mar-16 12:02:53

Hi There!

First of all I don't have any children myself so I feel like a bit of a fraud being on here! haha. I manage a homeless hostel in east London which, at present, has roughly 30 children residing in it. There are some of the sweetest kids I've ever met living here at the moment but they all have the same problem right now. They are bored! I have a limited budget but I've managed to get funding for a childrens movie club on Saturday mornings along with juice and fruit for all those watching.

Only problem? I'm 25 and have no idea what children like. I don't know any children, none of my friends have any children and I wasn't really allowed to watch much tv when I was small.

What do your kids love? What are they happy to watch over and over again? I can afford to buy about 10 dvds so i'm trying to make them the best possible so the kids don't get bored.

Thanks for reading!

Sprink Tue 15-Mar-16 12:03:55

What's the age range of the children?

MoragPadel Tue 15-Mar-16 12:33:00

from 6 months to 16 years old! I don't think the older ones will be interested however but I know things like despicable me appeals to kids of all ages on some level so looking for stuff like that smile

Ifyoubuildit Tue 15-Mar-16 12:34:43

My neighbour Totoro is loved by our four children age range from 3-13

MuddhaOfSuburbia Tue 15-Mar-16 12:38:55

First off have some flowers and a bit of cake

In my experience kids will sit thro any old shit thing as long as they're with their mates/have a mars bar

Last thing I watched that had kids HOWLING laughing (also good for adults-normally I doze off) was Shaun the Sheep

Sprink Tue 15-Mar-16 12:46:50

There are so many I couldn't possibly pare it down to 10. If you have any Scouts jumble sales coming up near you, go there and see what they have. You'll probably get them ridiculously cheap and if you go back near the end of the sale they will probably be selling for 10p or being given to anyone who will take them away.

Sprink Tue 15-Mar-16 12:51:00

As for recommendations, this list is as good a place to start as any:

www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_kids__family_movies/

I also highly recommend Common Sense Media to get feedback from parents (and children) about what is actually suitable, as ratings don't really do the job.

www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/50-movies-all-kids-should-watch-before-theyre-12

iloveredwine Tue 15-Mar-16 13:50:49

Despicable me 1and 2 always go down well here

Davros Tue 15-Mar-16 15:01:59

Try charity shops too and you could try the Film section here. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now