Talk

Advanced search

Thicker than Water - Scandi family intrigue More4 Thursdays

(104 Posts)
evrybuddy Sat 12-Mar-16 10:12:08

Watched the first episode of this last night and really liked it. Set around a beautiful family-run hotel.
Contemporary scandi-style and old volvos too!

About a mother who gets her three adult estranged children back to the family hotel, then commits suicide having told them to get back together basically.

Anyone else enjoying?

MaynJune Sat 12-Mar-16 11:59:46

Yes, I'm watching. I love most Scandi dramas and this one is holding my attention so far.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 12-Mar-16 12:06:52

Oh, that might be what I need to fill the massive void that Trapped Andri is going to leave...

MaynJune Sat 12-Mar-16 13:14:37

I'll be bereft when Trapped finishes!

Thicker Than Water is more about a dysfunctional family and tensions from the past than the usual murder drama.
I think it's set on the island of Oland. I spent a week there some years ago. Not sure if it was actually filmed there though.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 12-Mar-16 15:04:28

It's quite different to the usual but I like it. There is a Danish one taking the Trapped spot so that should keep us going...

LizzieMacQueen Sat 12-Mar-16 18:21:07

So what do you reckon is going on then?

Did she murder her abusive husband? (and throw his body overboard...)

Who was she looking for in that barn-like house where the woman slapped her? Her husband's lovechild?

LovelyFriend Sun 13-Mar-16 19:12:50

Yes I'm watching.
It sounds like the father is going to resurface doesn't it?

Trapped has passed me by though - what channel was it on please? Hopefully I can watch on catch up?

RomComPhooey Sun 13-Mar-16 19:53:33

BBC4, just finished last night Lovely Friend

conkerpods Sun 13-Mar-16 20:41:58

Oh no,I've missed the first episode of this,does anyone know how I can watch it?

LovelyFriend Sun 13-Mar-16 21:38:39

Thanks RomCom.

LovelyFriend Sun 13-Mar-16 21:39:31

Conked it is I'll be on the 4 catch up channel

conkerpods Thu 17-Mar-16 00:32:58

Right,I am now up to date. Seems like a good show so far.

MeolsCop Thu 17-Mar-16 21:08:01

It sounds a bit like 'The Legacy' - did anyone see that? Danish, on Sky a year or so ago. Very enjoyable and with a few familiar faces from 'The Killing'.

conkerpods Fri 18-Mar-16 07:57:08

Yes similar concept to The Legacy. I really enjoyed that one and eagerly await series 3 of that!

diddl Fri 18-Mar-16 22:29:10

Watched the first two.

I'm intrigued, but I think that it's going to piss me off!

The most ridiculous will!

Feel a bit sorry for Oskar who has worked there & would lose everything.

None of them are likeable though.

And what about Kim having to either stay or move to her mum?

There was no thought from the mother at all, was there?

Just trying to force herkids to get on?

I wish they could just have walked away!

Would have made for a short series though!grin

LovelyFriend Sat 19-Mar-16 16:42:18

So Daddy's been dug up out of the pool!

diddl Sat 19-Mar-16 19:08:39

It's looking that way isn't it?

Although the husband of the neighbour disappeared at the same time?

So I wonder what happened there?

Allofaflumble Sun 20-Mar-16 19:11:55

They are not very likeable are they? I am just starting to feel compassion for Oskar.

I found Ferederik in The Legacy absolutely heart rendering!

Allofaflumble Sun 20-Mar-16 20:51:45

The lady who was at the meeting with Jonna, saying there was a delay with the film contract, was Victoria in the Bridge 2.

First actor I have recognised.

diddl Sun 20-Mar-16 21:01:48

I also feel for Oskar if he has worked for years at the place & then his siblings can walk away with an equal part to him just by working there a few months.

Or see him lose it all by not working there!

You wouldn't think that it was legal, would you?

I wonder if the actress stropped off after not being offered the part immediately?

diddl Sun 20-Mar-16 21:02:44

Yes, Frederik in The Legacy-his father's place & the mother gets it & then leaves him nothing!

LovelyFriend Sun 20-Mar-16 21:20:39

Perhaps the film content was dubious? They kept referring to it being ahem "German" but we didn't hear much more about it than that? And she was very excited about the Chekov role.

diddl Mon 21-Mar-16 07:29:14

Ah could be.

Didn't think of thathalo

Either was her & Lasse both need this thing to work as much as Oskar.

Shame they couldn't just have done it to help him out.

The actress playing Jonna reminds me of Jennifer Saunders as Edina Monsoongrin

Allofaflumble Mon 21-Mar-16 07:33:05

Yes. I was trying to work out who she reminds me of. They have v similar bone structure and the hair.

OnlyLovers Mon 21-Mar-16 12:28:23

I'm enjoying this. Great characters and situations. The landscape is so pretty – gentle and nostalgic, with all the boats and sun-dappled water, and soft leafy trees; there's a lot of tension between it and the dark emotions, memories and acts going on between the characters.

Although the husband of the neighbour disappeared at the same time?

YES, that's what happened. I was trying to remember why they had such an adversarial relationship with the neighbours.

I too am just starting to feel for Oskar, after thinking he was just a twunt at first.

Something is going to happen about Jonna and this summer theatre job, isn't it? An affair with the treasurer bloke who she sort of knows? I think there was tension between them when they spoke in the theatre.

Will Lasse shagging the guest come back to haunt him?

Who in The Bridge 2 is Victoria? (I remember her face but can't think who she played).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now