Talk

Advanced search

Better Call Saul

(30 Posts)
MuttonWasAGoose Tue 01-Mar-16 06:32:03

Loved the first two episodes episode of the second series last wee and will be watching the third today.

I've got a bad feeling about Chuck.

MargotLovedTom Tue 01-Mar-16 06:35:24

I think Chuck is out to sabotage Jimmy's new post; if he finds out about the dodgy evidence from last week then he won't hesitate to use it against him.

I have a crush on Jimmy/Saul, even with dodgy hair and all grin.

MuttonWasAGoose Tue 01-Mar-16 08:11:43

Squat cobbler. With tears.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 01-Mar-16 22:55:14

"Hoboken Squat Cobbler. You know, the Full Moon Pie, the Boston Cream Splat, Simple Simon the Ass Man..."
Hilarious!

SnozzberryWibble Thu 03-Mar-16 17:20:53

I wonder where the Mike storyline will end up... Will it converge with the main Saul plotline again? I wonder how Saul descends into the world of corruption and defending criminals from his current "high flying career" position? At the end of the first series I thought he was going "bad" right away but now he's (kind of) back on the straight and narrow...

Lottapianos Fri 04-Mar-16 12:38:59

I love this series so much. Its wonderfully acted and written, switches between funny and heartbreaking, and you never know quite what's going to happen next. Jimmy is such a complex character. I love how his relationship with Kim has been portrayed and I really dread to think how horribly wrong it will inevitably go sad

The 'Squat Cobbler' scene was fabulous grin

CandOdad Fri 04-Mar-16 15:08:59

I think the lead seems at the moment that Jimmy becomes the Saul we see in BB because no matter how hard he tries Chuck still pisses on his chips. Eventually Mike will get referred to the chicken business.

But I want it to rake a good while for those things to happen or it will all be over too quick.

notquitehuman Fri 04-Mar-16 15:15:45

Loving the show. I have a crush on Jimmy too. blush

It's so good to see more of Mike. I hated Walt for many things in BB, but the thing with Mike was the worst. Loved them filming the commercials. Whenever I go over to the USA I find the legal commercials both hilarious and terrible.

Cooroo Sun 06-Mar-16 20:57:50

Trying not to read this yet! Will be watching soon...

HumphreyCobblers Sun 06-Mar-16 21:00:19

I just love this programme.

It is brilliantly acted, well written and beautifully shot.

LurkingHusband Tue 08-Mar-16 09:47:18

We've seen 2 Hummers on the road since the first episode grin

CaptainMarvelDanvers Tue 08-Mar-16 09:49:58

Chuck is technically correct but he's such an arse about it.

MrsFring Tue 08-Mar-16 17:55:31

Ok, so why didn't Mike kill Tuco?

originalmavis Tue 08-Mar-16 17:58:43

We've watched the whole first series. Can't wait for the next one.

CandOdad Tue 08-Mar-16 20:59:13

I think he didn't because he only kills when he has no choice, not because he is being paid to. Plus his was a better plan (despite having ten shades punched out of him)

MassiveStrumpet Wed 09-Mar-16 08:29:30

It was a much better plan. I think handling the rifle like the one he'd used in Vietnam put a bad taste in his mouth.

MrsFring Wed 09-Mar-16 13:20:10

That makes sense. Mike is revealed to be such a complex and compelling character in this series and Jonathan Banks is an astounding actor. He's funny, frightening and heartbreaking all at once.

Lottapianos Wed 09-Mar-16 14:07:08

Totally agree MrsFring. Mike is a fantastic character. I love how he is very honourable and moral in some ways, while also doing terrible, violent things. We need more interaction between him and Jimmy / Saul this series, I love it when they are together.

BayLeaves Wed 09-Mar-16 21:12:30

I like the way they treat the audience as being clever enough to work these emotions and plot points out without making it blindingly obvious like some American TV shows...

LurkingHusband Wed 09-Mar-16 22:09:30

I like the way they treat the audience as being clever enough to work these emotions and plot points out without making it blindingly obvious like some American TV shows...

There is a lot of excellent TV from the US right now. It's a golden age.

BayLeaves Thu 10-Mar-16 13:27:56

Oh yes, I agree... Didn't mean to imply American TV is all trash wink

ProfessorPickles Thu 10-Mar-16 13:37:11

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fancies Jimmy blushgrin fancied him more in breaking bad but he's still wonderful.
I'm less than half his age and he's currently the only man I'm interested in, a fictional character.... sigh...

notquitehuman Thu 10-Mar-16 14:12:05

Mike has shown before that he doesn't like guns. For example when he was sent on that job to protect the idiot drug dealer. The other guys were amazed he didn't have a gun.

Crazy 8 from Breaking Bad was in this episode. He was the first guy Walt killed. I'd love to see more BB people show up.

Agree that this is a golden age for TV. There are so many amazing series to get through. Movies are pretty terrible right now.

LurkingHusband Thu 10-Mar-16 14:23:56

Movies are pretty terrible right now.

Apples, Oranges. What has happened is the moment people could vote with their wallets (it's the only language the networks understand) they clearly showed they wanted grown-up dramas, with complex characterisations, adult plots, nuanced debate, fantastic production values, and intelligent, witty writing.

Did anyone else smile to themselves when Jimmy gave a masterclass into how formulaic 1990s US TV was ("Murder She Wrote") ? Who says Americans don't do irony ?

For my money, one show which was a complete revelation was "The Shield", which opened showing Mackey as the villian he was, and then proceeded to serve up season after season where we found ourselves rooting for him.

That said, there is very little that has appealed on the big screen for a while.

MrsFring Thu 10-Mar-16 14:25:21

Crazy 8! Well spotted! I like Kim very much too, she's the only female character that Vince Gilligan has created who's sympathetic imo (apart from Saul's fabulously Bolshie receptionist in BB).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now