Talk

Advanced search

Stopped watching Hollyoaks. Bad mental health portrayal. (LONG!)

(7 Posts)
pickmeupps Wed 27-Jan-16 19:58:45

Ok so I know this may sound petty but here goes! I've been watching Hollykas for nearly 10 years now, I was a big fan and would support it through thick and thin! My dislike for it started when the fall of Sienna story line came on, I loved hating her! She was such a great villain but then it became apparent she was suffering from several mental health issues and was abused as a young teen, it felt immoral to dislike her after that because I could feel her pain (sounds so weird now I'm writing this down!) I mean- congrats to actress for amazing performances but they keep making her out to be a big bad and I don't think that's right.
Same for Kim's character; she has mental health issues and they just make out that she is a crazy evil witch always out to sabotage people.
Jason had an eating disorder that had been hinted at for ages, literally since he was introduced, by the time it finally came I was ready for an emotional story line about it and his recovery. it took around 3 weeks for him to breakdown, get help and get over it. Very anticlimax, and very disappointing.

It makes me so uncomfortable that mental health is being used as an excuse to be a villain, and not getting the proper attention it deserves. As I've been a long time fan I have seen fantastic story lines done right in regards to mental health but for me Hollyoaks is going down hill and it's such a shame because it was my half hour escape each day. I haven't watched it in a year, maybe it's to do with getting older idk!

Anyway! back to the question, does this seem like a valid thing or am I over reacting a bit?

Hope you're all having a great day, well done if you got to the end! xx

(Have posted this in AIBU too so sorry if you've already seen this!)

Ginmakesitallok Wed 27-Jan-16 20:00:06

Holly oaks has always been Shit

TheSpottedZebra Wed 27-Jan-16 20:06:11

Outing myself as a massive hollyoaks fan, you're wrong in how you describe the characters -and so I wonder if you're possibly over reacting a bit?

Jason build up took ages, then suffered wih it openly, then he was in a clinic for quite a while. And the whole time he remained a very moral character, his issues were not used to explain/excuse any bad behaviours. He never has any, does he?

Sienna's story has been massively inconsistent, yes. But her stories have never been realistic, they've always been beyond ridiculous (am not knocking those with MH issues here, she has been more than a pantomime villan). And she has had an awful, shit life, dreadful things have happened to her, so her actions in a way can be put down to her need to find herself a family.

Kim too she didn't turn out to be either mad or bad. At all. But it did seem that way for a bit... All change in that storyline.

pickmeupps Wed 27-Jan-16 20:06:46

Well there's that too ;) but I guess I liked the shitness! Haha. Now it feels borderline offensive.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 27-Jan-16 20:07:34

So, my Hollyoaks defense posted, why has that bothered you now, given ypuve mot seen it in a while?
Has something happened in RE that has upset you or got you thinking about it?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 27-Jan-16 20:08:36

Er, that was dreadful typing. It shpud read:

So, my Hollyoaks defense posted, why has that bothered you now, given you've not seen it in a while?
Has something happened in RL that has upset you or got you thinking about it?

pickmeupps Wed 27-Jan-16 20:11:06

Tbh I am over reacting because it is a soap and it's meant to be watched for fun! I'm a sensitive soul so I guess I felt their pain too much and didn't like the way it was dealt with. sorry for getting Jason facts wrong, I guess to me it felt rushed as I've suffered with an ED.

No real reason why it's bothered me now, I just think about it from time to time!

Thanks guys smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now