Talk

Advanced search

Ooh - Shetland, BBC1

(390 Posts)
CocktailQueen Fri 15-Jan-16 22:48:12

Anyone see Shetland tonight? New drama series on BBC1?

I liked it! Nice to see the scenery, plus Scottish accents on a BEeb programme.

Davros Sat 16-Jan-16 09:16:21

I'm excited. Recorded it so will watch later. It's the second series

nipersvest Sat 16-Jan-16 10:06:38

now watched it yet but have sky + it, love shetland.

Pipistrella Sat 16-Jan-16 10:16:50

It's got Ciaran Hinds in it! Sadly having seen it last night I don't fancy him like I used to sad but he's still very good.

Pipistrella Sat 16-Jan-16 10:18:15

It is all a bit predictable though. Drugs, murder, bla bla bla...it's like they have watched all the good Scandi dramas and just shifted them over into a different setting.

Finola1step Sat 16-Jan-16 10:19:58

I watched it. Thought it was rather good. Loved the bit with the man who collects road kill.

CocktailQueen Sat 16-Jan-16 10:20:51

Pipitstrelle - that's what I thought too! All moody detectives and brooding sea...

Didn't realise it was the second series. How many murders can there be in Shetland?

NoahVale Sat 16-Jan-16 10:22:27

i enjoyed it, a bit, not brilliant, but do like the lead man.

OldCrowMedicineShow Sat 16-Jan-16 10:39:12

Oh good, a Shetland thread!

Any theories why they are not allowed to touch the victim? (Am trying not to give too much away for those who have not seen it yet)

Lots of creepy big beardy men. Mr Road Kill!

Pipistrella Sat 16-Jan-16 10:51:01

Noah, I'm ashamed to say I've only just got your name blush

V good!

Pipistrella Sat 16-Jan-16 10:52:30

I think he must be wanted by the mainland lot for something bigger perhaps?

We need a bird though - Saga Noren, Lanskrim Shetland grin doesn't sound quite as good does it?

NoahVale Sat 16-Jan-16 11:08:50

<<preens>> grin

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 16-Jan-16 11:25:48

Is it me, or does that detective have a constant smirk on his face?

OldCrowMedicineShow Sat 16-Jan-16 11:28:35

I think he is either radioactive or an undercover policeman/ drug snout.

OldCrowMedicineShow Sat 16-Jan-16 11:32:20

The victim radioactive and not Detective Smirking (who has just moved in with a woman with bairns and seems happy rather than his usual dour self).

Hassled Sat 16-Jan-16 11:34:16

It really really made me want to go to Shetland. Not on a 12.5 hour ferry crossing, though - I can barely tolerate Holyhead/Dublin.

colleysmill Sat 16-Jan-16 11:51:19

Whilst I do like this the only problem I have is that there are some details that are totally & utterly different from the books. I have the issue with Vera (same author too)

I think it's the third series isn't it? But yes the scenery is stunning

juneau Sat 16-Jan-16 12:00:21

I enjoyed it, but I really HATE the way so many TV dramas are filmed with a blue filter on the camera to make them seem more 'brooding'. It makes it look like its dark, when its clearly daytime and I find it unnecessary and distracting. Argh!

I watched this with dh last night, and we really enjoyed it - I am considering a spot of book shopping because a friend says that, whilst the series is good, the books are even better (not that I ever really need an excuse to buy books).

You are right about the blue filter, juneau - it's like it has to look dark and brooding, so we realise that the plot is serious and dark - as if we are too stupid to realise that bad things happen on sunny days and in pretty places.

Mind you - I do live in Scotland (a long, long way south of Shetland) and it has been pretty dark and gloomy here for months and months and months.

We actually live near Glasgow airport, and dh flies into and out of there every week, sometimes several times - and you will be interested to know that they got the bit at the airport wrong. You have to go upstairs to security and the departure gates - they seemed to have checked in at the FlyBe end, and were then headed for International Arrivals. It's a little pedantic, I know. blush

glamorousgrandmother Sat 16-Jan-16 12:19:34

This story is not by Anne Cleeve, it's based on her characters.

I hadn't realised that - thanks, glamorous. I'm assuming it's still worth reading the books, though.

Florabella Sat 16-Jan-16 12:54:45

I do like it, but it's a shame that there only seems to be one (mild)Shetland accent in the whole programme. Otherwise most of Glasgow seems to have migrated to Shetland

mollie123 Sat 16-Jan-16 13:16:03

I had the first 2 series of Shetland on DVD last year and enjoyed the slow moving stories.
Having read the Ann Cleeve books I did initially find them a bit 'jarring' as the characters, relationships, ages, appearance are so differant but they tell a good story.
why didn't they remind us series 3 was on last night - and I missed it so will go to iplayer to catch up.sad

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 16-Jan-16 13:50:23

I only caught it by accident, too, mollie

Quite enjoying it. The scenery is beautiful.

Will the six programmes all be about the same murder?

NoahVale Sat 16-Jan-16 14:04:39

i think i gave up with the first series as the picture was always so dark and the detective so very brooding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now