Talk

Advanced search

NEW TENNIS THREAD! Happy 2016! Gearing up for the Aussie Open.

(503 Posts)
Raahh Tue 05-Jan-16 20:01:21

Here we are again- last year has flown. Soon be Wimbledongrin.

Hope everyone is well- very wet here (NW).

So, Qatar has started, Rafa has won his first round in Doha after a shaky start. So that's already better than last year!
Hopman cup underway.

Here's to an exciting 2016, Olympic year, can anyone stop Djok, who is starting to look unbeatable?

I'm really hoping Rafa can have a better year, and of course there is a wee Murray on the way . (Might not be a fan of Andy, but babies are always good news).

<flexes refresh finger>grin

tennis

Raahh Tue 05-Jan-16 20:02:08

Pappy?? WTF is pappy??

arghhh

<reports self for stupidity>

Raahh Tue 05-Jan-16 20:30:09

yay!! thanks MNHQ!

Raahh Wed 06-Jan-16 17:43:20

Nice easy win for Rafa this afternoon, which has cheered up my dreary afternoon.

tennis

magimedi Wed 06-Jan-16 22:31:07

Waves excitedly - Hooray for berluddy Crimbo & NY being over & back to the real things in life - ie tennis

Andy to win the Aus Open!!

Raahh Wed 06-Jan-16 22:59:22

Hello!!Happy 2016,*Magi*tennis

I am looking forward to some tennis to brighten the New year. And I promise I am going to triple check what channels I have, before I miss the first week of the Aussie open like I usually do grin

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jan-16 23:02:27

Hello Raahh and magi smile

Just signing in & marking my place. I'll be in & out of the thread as usual but I'm looking forward to a great year of tennis tennis

Raahh Wed 06-Jan-16 23:05:41

<waves>

it is going to be a good year. Vamosgrin

Raahh Fri 08-Jan-16 17:34:25

Rafa through to the final- where he will probably meet Djok, unless Berdych has other ideas.

just over a week to Aus- it has come around so quickly.

Not as quickly as the Olympics though- that 3.5 years has gone in a blink!

Raahh Fri 08-Jan-16 17:36:16

(obviously still some time to Rio- but the dcs school have been doing a Road to Rio thing at school, which is making it seem very close. )

Raahh Sat 09-Jan-16 21:14:09

Well, Rafa had no answers for Djokovic . but I am glad he got to the final.

Not long to Melbourne now...

Raahh Fri 15-Jan-16 11:25:35

Not long to Australia- and the draws are out. men's draw

Nadal has pretty rubbish first round draw sadHe has Verdasco in the first round- which could be potentially dangerous. Given the number of qualifiers, it's very unfortunate.

Murray has drawn up and coming Alexander Zverev, who is one of the newbies I really like. I doubt he will be much of a contender, but it will be a big match for him, and good experience.

I am getting excited now. It will be nice to see some sun- if only on the tvgrin.

tennis

Raahh Sat 16-Jan-16 18:01:48

Poor Rafa was very circumspect when interviewed, post draw. It could definitely be a better first round opponent. The longest match every played in Aus was the one he played against Verdasco in 2009.

He did go on to win the title, then though...grin

MrsVamos Sat 16-Jan-16 22:20:06

Hello all Lovelies. <waves>

Not about so much atm, so much crap in RL but I do lurk and keep an eye on you all.

Dratted Aussie Open. Can't watch any unless the BBC show a Murray match. sad

And why all the fuss about Andy forfeiting the Slam if Kim goes into labour ? Leave the poor bloke alone !

He's not gonna win anyway....wink

Probably will be Novak. Sounded like he gave poor Rafa a right beating. sad

Hopefully Rafa IS onwards and upwards. VAMOS !

Mama1980 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:58:59

Hi! (waves frantically I thought I'd lost you all grin)
I hope everyone is good?
Have had the most horrific start to the year here in rl so am desperately in need of good tennis and chat to help distract me.
Here's hoping Rafa can do well but my bets on Novak.

GrouchyKiwi Sun 17-Jan-16 09:53:58

Hi all! Mostly just marking my place.

We're having baby #3 at the end of May (there's no tennis of significance in May, right?) so I'm looking forward to a Summer of sitting watching tennis while feeding.

DramaAlpaca Sun 17-Jan-16 15:38:48

Hello all smile

Grouchy lovely news about DC3 on the way flowers

Mama hope you're OK & that the year improves for you.

I bloody hate January & it's been rubbish for me so far too. I can't wait for some great tennis to cheer me up.

Vamos! tennis

GrouchyKiwi Sun 17-Jan-16 22:12:47

shock Match fixing at Wimbledon!

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

CremeEggThief Sun 17-Jan-16 23:14:56

Hi all. Grouchy, I saw that too... Can't quite believe it though... Congratulations on impending DC3.

The80sweregreat Mon 18-Jan-16 07:40:46

I thought of everyone on here when i saw the match fixing story just now!
Was on last years Wimbledon thread..seems most sports are in the frame for fixing, makes me sad, but not surprised.
Not watched any of the Aussie one, havent got Sky. Is it on normal tele? Or highlights? Normally only a wimbledon fan. Not hardcore like you lot..
When is Andy's wife due? Seems shes been pregnant forever.
I bet Serena wins ..again.

Mama1980 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:05:50

Congratulations Grouchy my birthday is late May, it's when all the best people are born winkgrin
Not many surprises overnight, paire in trouble this morning though and Wozniaki is out.
They are showing it on Eurosport, if you have a tablet you can get a 1 month subscription for £4.99 to see it all.

Mama1980 Mon 18-Jan-16 08:06:18

Sorry to hear you January has been crap too drama, fingers crossed things improve for us both.

Raahh Mon 18-Jan-16 08:56:25

Morning Everyone!

Sorry to hear rl is crap for some of you. flowers

Congratulations, Grouchy!

I think Kim is due mid February- I'm sure Berdych will be glad she will not be around this year, to mouth obscenities at Andy's opponents wink.

I'm a bit hmm about all the 'isn't he wonderful for saying he will leave the tournament to be at the birth stuff'. It's much easier when you are a multi millionaire, and pretty much your own boss, to be able to drop everything and do that. Joe Bloggs doesn't always get the choice.

As to the match fixing, well I've said all along that Wimbledon 2013 was suspectwink.

I have found Eurosport! Usually it takes me a week. Apparently, after threatening to leave Virgin, we have Sky Sports for 6 months. So I might get to actually 'see' some of the tournaments this spring, rather than just watch the scores!

Anyway, most overnight results look like they were pretty straighforward. I have just dropped the dc at school, and come back to see Watson is playing. Don't like the court- seems really closed in, like a squash court.

Raahh Mon 18-Jan-16 10:41:25

Just got back from taking the dog out (had my phone with me to check the scores)grin- looks like Heather could be in trouble, but she isn't giving up yet.

Tsonga is playing Baghdatis- I love Marcos, and Jo-Willy. But I think Jo will win it.

PunkrockerGirl Mon 18-Jan-16 10:50:35

Crap start to the new year here, db died 10 days ago. BUT, I have the lovely memory of sitting with him on that Sunday afternoon watching the Davis cup final and how pleased he was when Andy won. That was one of the last times db was up and about really so it's a special memory smile

Looking forward to lots of lovely tennis in 2016!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now