Talk

Advanced search

Eat well for less - opinions?

(3 Posts)
mackinnonka Fri 18-Dec-15 09:55:53

I'm not much of a telly watcher, last night I ended up catching Eat Well For Less which I hadn't seen/heard about before, just wondered what people thought of it?

I couldn't believe that the family spent so much on food, had no clue what to do with left overs and generally just wasted the majority - is that the norm?

I wouldn't consider myself thrifty/frugal, I had 10 adults for Christmas dinner last year, and with booze, 3 courses, nibbles and homemade sweet treats spent under £200 which at the time I thought seemed a lot, but after watching that show I think I did quite well!

The one thing I would have liked to have seen was the nutritional value comparisons as well as price, because yes things can be found cheaper but it doesn't mean they are 'better' for you, likewise just because it costs more doesn't make it better quality but it would have been interesting to see.

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Dec-15 10:05:33

There's another thread about this where we are discussing the intricacies of squirty cream grin.

I rather liked this episodes family and found some of their mistakes/habits realistic, but earlier (non-xmas) episodes had me completely scratching my head at people's idiocy - buying individual packs of microwave rice for a family of 4 each week at £1+ each; throwing out food en masse ahead of expiry dates; apparent allergy to chopping veg and so "having" to buy pre-cut food; seduction by BOGOF; a family who had 7 (I think) packs of Cathedral City cheddar in the fridge at one time... There were some real confused moments.

My one criticism of the show other than Greg Wallace being a bellend is that often the "solution" / savings come from shopping around 5/6 supermarkets - for most people, that's just not realistic.

SteamPunkGoth Wed 23-Dec-15 22:40:58

Where's the other thread? I saw the programme today & would like to read the thread. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now