Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

love you to death: a year of domestic violence (potential triggers)

(21 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Wed 16-Dec-15 21:34:44

Wow.

I am a child who has seen and felt first hand domestic violence... This is one of the most powerful things I have ever seen and makes me so so so so so so so so grateful of the life that I have...

ilovesooty Wed 16-Dec-15 21:37:25

I agree. Very powerful.

TPel Wed 16-Dec-15 21:42:07

Heartbreaking.

SakuraSakura Wed 16-Dec-15 21:48:59

Agreed, this is incredibly powerful and so heartbreaking. My mum escaped an abusive relationship, and I give thanks regularly for the life I have. So grateful she had the strength and support to get away.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Wed 16-Dec-15 21:51:11

It's really really sad

Really hard hitting

Hedgehogparty Wed 16-Dec-15 22:01:41

Powerful and so sad
Hard to watch

elephantoverthehill Wed 16-Dec-15 22:09:59

Not very pleasant viewing to say the least. But good hard hitting documentary from the BBC. I am glad the subject is being highlighted.

NotAQueef Wed 16-Dec-15 22:11:07

I just caught a bit of this and was pretty affected by it. Very powerful.

Doublebubblebubble Wed 16-Dec-15 22:17:39

I wonder if any men/women who commit dv saw this would they change? Would it affect them... My father used to hit my mum, myself and my brother, especially if he'd had a drink - he was honestly an evil drunk. My mum managed to get away. I dont know what would have happened if she hadn't. He remarried, lessened the drinking and became almost overnight a different man. I have a strange relationship with my dad. I love him but I hate him. When the little girls were talking about whether they missed their father who killed their mother in the most horrific way.. The hate in the little girls voice was the hate I felt for my dad too. I really hope this programme helps people.

Ughnotagain Wed 16-Dec-15 22:21:11

I don't know if perpetrators would see themselves in it. They'd probably find a way of excusing their actions to themselves.

It is a difficult watch but I think it is important.

Ughnotagain Wed 16-Dec-15 22:22:48

Oh, sorry, I was getting this mixed up with something else. I was thinking of "Murdered by my Boyfriend". (Which is also hard hitting but worth watching.)

timelytess Wed 16-Dec-15 22:27:47

I watched it.

sadwidow28 Wed 16-Dec-15 22:53:04

It is now on iplayer:

Love You to Death: A Year of Domestic Violence - BBC documentary

Documentary examining the violence inflicted by men on women every day, telling the stories of all the women who died at the hands of a male partner or ex-partner during one year.

First shown: 9pm 16 Dec 2015
Available for 29 days
Duration 60 mins

MrsClusterfuck Thu 17-Dec-15 11:19:53

Does anyone know if it'll be repeated? (I missed it due to the apprentice being on BBC1). I don't have good enough technology for Iplayer.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 17-Dec-15 11:52:05

Sad and sobering viewing.

Seeing the photos, and hearing the names and ages of those women who'd been murdered really drove it home.

The sheer number of women who are murdered by their partner is just terrifying.

yummytummy Thu 17-Dec-15 11:56:27

I want to watch but is it triggering? I have suffered severe dv in my marriage and it upsets me to watch stuff as it hits home how bad it was. I wish so much my only experience of it was watching a programme

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 17-Dec-15 12:05:49

yummy the programme is made up mainly of interviews with the friends and family of the women who were killed. There are descriptions of how the women died so you may well find it triggering.

It made me feel hugely sad. And hugely angry.

I hope you’re out of your abusive marriage flowers

yummytummy Thu 17-Dec-15 12:22:02

I am thankyou. But the damage lasts for ages and its very hard when you have kids and so still have to deal with him

mollyonthemove Thu 17-Dec-15 12:53:22

I have recorded it to watch tonight. I was in an abusive marriage too. Sadly, people don't really accept that I was. I still find it hard to think of myself as having been in one, but I know I was. Hit, pushed, belittled but I still sometimes think, well, I was hard to live with sad

sadwidow28 Thu 17-Dec-15 16:48:47

There is a very interesting Mumsnet discussion in Relationships regarding this programme.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 17-Dec-15 20:29:02

I have been thinking about this programme all day

Yes it might be triggering I had a cry today over some horrible memories that is not a bad thing they are part of my life so never going away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now