Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis Christmas ad. Anyone seen it recently?

(25 Posts)
luciole15 Wed 02-Dec-15 08:19:15

Just wondering if JL have pulled their 2015 Christmas ad. Haven't seen it in a while.

Tinofsardines Wed 02-Dec-15 08:21:06

I heard the song on the radio yesterday and thought the same hmm

Spidertracker Wed 02-Dec-15 08:22:10

No, in fact I haven't see it on TV at all I had to look online. I thought it was rubbish certainly not the heartstring pulling it normally has.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 02-Dec-15 08:24:06

Keeps popping up on YouTube between videos - maybe they can't afford to have it on TV all the time?

NickNackNooToYou Wed 02-Dec-15 08:26:12

It was built up so much before it was released and a total let down when it aired. I'm sure it was on last night about 6ish, I think I heard the song but it may have been the radio confused

It was/is rubbish, the sentiment was totally lost.

LineyReborn Wed 02-Dec-15 08:26:58

I wonder if they pulled it after the Lidl pisstake?

luciole15 Wed 02-Dec-15 08:31:02

I can't believe the powers to be at JL allowed it to be made. Or perhaps they're all just very naive. Sad really.

nattyknitter Wed 02-Dec-15 12:49:35

It was on last night, but not sure which channel. I only noticed as we made a joke that he wouldn't be sad if Jean turned up with gin rather than being sent a telescope.

raracleopatra Wed 02-Dec-15 12:57:00

I notice this with the JL ads every year, the huge hype around them and then they seem to be shown once during x factor or something and then you never see it again!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 02-Dec-15 12:59:09

It was on twice last night and just now, as I started writing this. Spooky.

CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire Wed 02-Dec-15 21:32:01

I still haven't seen it! Have seen the aldi ad about a thousand times and the littlewoods ad about fifty thousand!

luciole15 Thu 03-Dec-15 00:14:46

So they're still running it despite the ridicule. Personally it makes me feel depressed thinking about all the sad, old and lonely people out there, not uplifted. He's so completely isolated. They should do a tie-in with Help The Aged.

Anchor / natty you must watch more high-brow stuff than me on the commercial channels grin

cadence maybe there's a link to it on their website? Have you seen the spoof? Not sure if Aldi or Lidl but v funny.

CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire Thu 03-Dec-15 07:53:10

Yes I've seen the spoof. The other jl christmas adverts have been big in this house so it's strange to have not seen it at all. Dd1 did see it on youtube and was really meh about it when she's adored the others. Normally the jl adverts are huge though with all the associated merchandise. I do wonder if maybe they took a step away from all that on purpose as last year and the year before it got ridiculous with people snapping up the merchandise and selling it on ebay for ridiculous prices, a lot of upset people and not in the spirit of christmas at all!

Palomb Thu 03-Dec-15 07:57:57

Its weird how Christmas adverts do that isn't it. I think I've only seen the JL add a couple of times and I've only seen the Sainsburys Mog one onc and that was as an advert on YouTube I think. We don't watch a lot of the commercial TV channels though and if we do we record them and FF though the adds.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 03-Dec-15 07:58:53

They are doing a link with Age UK. The charity is name checked in the ad and JL are donating some profits from sales of ad related products to Age UK.

DaphneGaffney Thu 03-Dec-15 08:03:03

OP 'Personally it makes me feel depressed thinking about all the sad, old and lonely people out there, not uplifted. He's so completely isolated. They should do a tie-in with Help The Aged'

The ad is linked to Age UK. There has apparently been a surge of volunteers to visit the elderly. age uk donation page

DaphneGaffney Thu 03-Dec-15 08:04:30

perspicaciatick beat me to it!

harryhausen Thu 03-Dec-15 08:07:34

I think Mog and Sainsburys has totally topped JL this year. Sainsburys is linked to a children's literacy campaign too.
I normally live the JL ad but I think this years is missing that 'ahhh' ending. I think it would have been a millions times better if somehow the old man in the moon had been transported to the Xmas party or had people share Xmas with him on the moon. I think the way it is now just still makes him lonely and it doesn't sit right.

Katymac Thu 03-Dec-15 08:16:12

DH linked me to an 'ad' on FB

It was from abroad & with subtitles and I wasn't totally paying attention, sorry & I have no idea what it was advertising

An old guy on the phone being told by several members of the family that they couldn't get home for Christmas & him sitting by himself at a big dining room table

Then all his family getting letters and turning up at the house all dressed in black (presumably for a funeral)

& being ,mt with an amazingly set table and the dad saying well how else was I supposed to get you all together?

But it brought home the fact that some people just don't bother/are too busy for older family at Christmas & I thought it even sadder than the JL one

buffyajp Thu 03-Dec-15 08:21:10

I find the attitude of people here quite sad to be honest. Personally I liked it and thought it was a step away from the awful merchandising crap of the last two years. Sadly sainsburys appear to have gone down that route. The sentiment hadn't been lost on people I know. It's a shame people don't want to be reminded of the loneliness of some elderly people at Christmas.

BugritAndTidyup Thu 03-Dec-15 08:36:06

I've only seen it once, and was surprised by how short it was. But I suspect they are keeping the frequency down until closer to Christmas, so that people don't get bored of it, and then gradually it will be on more and more.

I think the sentiment behind it is lovely, really, although it doesn't seem as extravagant as in previous years. Perhaps that's a good thing and a statement by JL itself about how the ads are getting out of hand. The alternative readings of the ad are funny but also make me a little bit sad at the same time.

GlowWine Thu 03-Dec-15 08:55:46

Not seen it recently but don't really watch much TV. But have you seen the version where someone overlaid Kylie's release of "Only you" with James Corden:

youtu.be/T1chdqcDtyA

It's so much better and a perfect fit...

harryhausen Thu 03-Dec-15 09:02:30

I don't think Sainsburys have gone down the hugely commercial and material route.

The ad (and new Story by Judith Kerr) basically expresses how we should be neighbourly and share our Christmas with people less fortunate. Like I said earlier they are supporting A children literacy campaign.

Yes, they're selling books but before their Mog toys massively sold out at least they weren't £40 plus to buy one, they've just under estimated the popularity.

I like The way JL reminds us of loneliness at Christmas but just wish it had a warmer ending.

harryhausen Thu 03-Dec-15 09:06:19

I think this ad for the Spanish Lottery at Xmas expresses loneliness much better.

youtu.be/3OIhUnw555s

Penguito Thu 03-Dec-15 09:51:59

Glow I really like the 'half a word away' cover but agree that song goes better !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now