Talk

Advanced search

Life After West Wing

(22 Posts)
balletgirlmum Sat 28-Nov-15 09:18:31

Last Christmas we got a NOW box & I started to watch The West Wing right from the beginning. I guess I was too busy having a baby etc when it was first on.

What a brilliant show! I'm now coming to the end & am wondering what on earth I'm going to watch when it's over (dh has warned me I will feel bereft when its ended. He watched the entire lot over the course of two months when confined to bed after a car accident)

Can anyobe suggest anything else I might enjoy.

IslandGirlie Sat 28-Nov-15 09:31:12

House of cards

Lightroom Sat 28-Nov-15 09:34:49

I feel your pain. State of Play, perhaps? (the BBC version)

TheTravellingLemon Sat 28-Nov-15 09:38:34

Nothing. Nothing will fill the aching void left by the end of The West Wing. I am currently rewatching it for the 4th time just to try to dull the pain a bit. It's been years. How long can I go on like this? I don't know. <wipes solitary tear from cheek>

balletgirlmum Sat 28-Nov-15 09:39:13

Dh has wAtched House of Cards. For some reason I don't fancy it - maybe it's bwcause I remember the original.

booboobeedoo Sat 28-Nov-15 09:38:47

Scandal (bit lower brow)
House of Cards

Celticlassie Sat 28-Nov-15 09:39:35

Was coming on to say nothing, too. [unhelpful]. I watched it first time years ago and nothing has been as good since.

balletgirlmum Sat 28-Nov-15 09:40:43

It's such a well written show isn't it lemon. And the opening bars of the theme music!!!!!

Fiderer Sat 28-Nov-15 10:42:47

It is a v good series, of its time but none the worse for that, for the better imo.

<see my username>

I hadn't had a re-watch for a while until recently and while I'm not up to the Santos bits (am at Camp David atm) I am enjoying more than I remembered. Love Leo more.

Scandal is like TWW as a soap opera. Daft but watchable. Annoyingly I still compare its Oval to TWW though.

The new House of Cards is so far from the original it really is worth watching, iyswim.

Madam Secretary is also not TWW (more a "oh good" rather than a "must watch") but also v watchable & I'm still lusting after her house & husband.

PotteringAlong Sat 28-Nov-15 10:45:12

You just count down the months until you can start it again...!

Have you watched blacklist? It's very watchable, but not the same league!

Fiderer Sat 28-Nov-15 10:52:46

The Blacklist is wonderful tosh & I love James Spader in it - he is terrific.

I want him on my side with his hat & his millions & his Plan B to Z with planes & boats for when things go wrong.

Not that my life is as uppy downy as Liz's but still. I could run a small guest house on a lovely island somewhere and be at his disposal when someone need to hide there.

magicstar1 Sat 28-Nov-15 10:56:59

I'd never seen The West Wing so started it two weeks ago. I'm on season 4 and absolutely loving it. I'm already dreading when it's over.

80sWaistcoat Sat 28-Nov-15 11:01:52

I was sceptical about new house of cards but it's an entirely different thing from the original and v good. Sharp contrast to the west wing and probably more like what actually happens.

And, although a bit of a cliche now, the Wire, get over the accents in the first episode and it'll take over your life.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 28-Nov-15 11:05:19

I don't think you can go from WW straight to House of Cards, because the subjects are the same (even though the shows are very different). Do the Wire next. It is bloody brilliant. Then do HoC.

I want to watch the WW now. I have a Josh-shaped pang.

PotteringAlong Sat 28-Nov-15 11:24:03

fiderer me too!

balletgirlmum Sat 28-Nov-15 11:27:04

will look into The Wire

80sWaistcoat Sat 28-Nov-15 11:43:49

Good choice. I was completely bemused by the first episode, but really , stick with it, one of the most intelligent gripping series that has ever been on TV. Conflicted p, complicated characters and plots that make you root for the most unlikely people.

cookiefiend Sat 28-Nov-15 11:47:44

Try Aaron sorkins other stuff- no the same, but good. studio 60 on the sunset strip and newsroom.

West wing was the best tv show ever made.

balletgirlmum Sat 28-Nov-15 11:55:20

Hard act to follow

How did I miss it first time round.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 02-Dec-15 20:58:20

Dd (13) and I just this minute finished series 6. She's asking what we're going to do when it's over ....

Piffpaffpoff Wed 02-Dec-15 22:11:31

I found Studio 60 to be an odd one for a couple reasons. It is very good, but you can literally see the point where they realised it was only going to be the one series and a lot of the storylines then take a sharp turn to get them wrapped up nicely. Also, I watched it right after the West Wing and found it very hard to watch 'Josh' and 'Danny' being totally different people (although, obviously, it's never that hard to watch Bradley Whitford grin). Robbie Williams wife and Dawn from the UK The Office are in it. And Howard from Big Bang!

The new House of Cards is amazing, it's the only thing I have ever really properly binge watched. I think I managed all of it in 2 weeks. Scandal is just proper bonkers, but brilliantly so. It's an entertaining watch but you have to leave any sense of reality at the door.

lorelei9 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:41:40

I would try The Good Wife
I know the West Wing can't be replaced of course, but for depth and nuance and good writing and politics, The Good Wife is a terrific show.
I couldn't get on with House of Cards so gave up after about six episodes, I thought the pace was a bit odd and only one character interested me, Spacey. That said, might try again. Didn't like State of Play.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now