Talk

Advanced search

CAPITAL - BBC 1 new drama starts Tuesday, November 24 at 9pm

(140 Posts)
sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 01:39:31

A new three part drama, Capital, starts on BBC 1 on 24th November and is expected to be one for all those London lovers.

In the new series, the residents of an affluent south London street struggle with their health, financial and family problems behind closed doors, watched by secretive artist Smitty, who has his own connection to the road.

The community is wary and stunned when dwellers each receive a note bearing the words `We Want What You Have', through their letterboxes, but in due course begin to see their lives transformed.

Toby Jones, Lesley Sharp, Wunmi Mosaku and Adeel Akhtar star in Peter Bowker's adaptation of John Lanchester's critically acclaimed novel.

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 01:50:07

Stellar ensemble cast announced for BBC One's Capital

Toby Jones (Marvellous, The Girl), Lesley Sharp (Scott And Bailey, The Shadow Line) Wunmi Mosaku (Dancing On The Edge, In The Flesh) and Adeel Akhtar (Utopia, Four Lions) are set to star in BAFTA-winning Peter Bowker’s adaptation of John Lanchester’s critically acclaimed and bestselling novel Capital, produced by Kudos for BBC One.

Joined by Rachael Stirling (Detectorists, The Bletchley Circle), Gemma Jones (Marvellous, The Lady Vanishes), Robert Emms (Atlantis, War Horse), Bryan Dick (Wolf Hall, Eric And Ernie) and Radoslaw Kaim (Spies Of Warsaw, Wallander), the line-up will also include multi-award-winning Indian actress Shabana Azmi and, fresh from her Olivier award-winning role in West End musical Once, Zrinka Cvitešić.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Set on a single street in South London, Capital is a portrait of a road transformed by soaring property prices: what was once the home of modest lower-middle class families, Pepys Road has been continuously gentrified into a street of multi-million pound houses.

The denizens of Pepys Road include investment banker Roger (Toby Jones), rubbing his hands in anticipation of his £1m bonus, his spendthrift wife Arabella (Rachael Stirling), Polish builder Bogdan (Radoslaw Kaim) who has come from Warsaw to indulge the rich in their interior decoration whims, Quentina the Zimbabwean refugee with a PhD working as a traffic warden (Wunmi Mosaku), local newsagent Ahmed (Adeel Akhtar) and OAP Petunia (Gemma Jones), who has lived her entire life on Pepys Road, and who is now contemplating death in the house in which she was born.

One day, the street’s residents all receive an anonymous postcard through their front doors bearing a simple message: “We Want What You Have.” Who is behind the anonymous hate campaign? And what do they want?

As the mystery of the postcards deepens, we learn more about this vivid and unforgettable ensemble of characters. Interweaving stories reveal lives filled with love and loss, fear and greed, fortune and envy and most recognisable of all, family and home - stories bursting with piercing and funny observations on modern life and urban existence, of ordinary people who find themselves caught and changed by a city at a time of extraordinary flux.

Toby Jones says: “Obviously I am thrilled to be part of such a fantastic, diverse and talented cast, and also I'm excited to renew my working relationship with Pete Bowker.”

Read more from Official BBC website here

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 01:55:52

Capital: Trailer - BBC One - Nov 8, 2015

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce1EKM4nKMM

We want what you have - Capital: Episode 1 Preview - BBC One - Nov 18, 2015

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlD7qQ5RY_U

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 02:24:48

Adapting 'Capital' for BBC One

Interview with Peter Bowker (writer) Monday 23 November 2015

There’s Capital to be made out of great drama

Much-anticipated BBC drama Capital takes an intelligent and incisive look at modern Britain

Toby Jones to play smug banker in new BBC Capital drama

The Guardian, preview 10th April 2015

Capital: How the BBC’s new drama with Toby Jones reflects the state of London’s property market

The Evening Standard 12th November 2015

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 02:28:34

Learn more about the residents of Pepys Road, South London who are plagued by mystery postcards

MEET THE CAST AND CHARACTERS OF 'CAPITAL'

cherrytree63 Tue 24-Nov-15 02:57:03

Waves at Sad while I pull up a chair!
Looking forward to this. My brother lived in Pepys Rd, but probably not the same one! smile

NoahVale Tue 24-Nov-15 07:12:36

oh thanks,

NoahVale Tue 24-Nov-15 07:14:52

www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/10/toby-jones-to-play-smug-banker-in-new-bbc-capital-drama

Elendon Tue 24-Nov-15 10:03:11

Plumping cushions on the sofa in anticipation.

Mind you, I've read the book, a long time ago. But I'm looking forward to this nonetheless. I promise no spoilers (they might well change things anyway).

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 13:55:56

Bumpety bump for anyone else who likes a good drama and might have missed this thread earlier this morning. (I know I was setting it up at silly o'clock this morning when you were all sleeping or feeding babies.)

We still have lots of empty chairs, sofas and chaise louges if anyone wants to reserve one for 9pm tonight. I'll go and do the wine and chocolate run with the dog.

magimedi Tue 24-Nov-15 14:15:51

I loved the book - so much that I almost don't want to watch the TV!!

But I will & I'll be back to comment on it!

eddiemairswife Tue 24-Nov-15 14:26:20

I read the book a couple of weeks ago and was really gripped by it. It's quite long and I'm wondering if only 3 episodes will do it justice.

thenightsky Tue 24-Nov-15 17:55:39

I read this ages ago but I cannot remember the ending at all. Will definitely be watching tonight.

smile

Stellar67 Tue 24-Nov-15 17:59:31

Bags place on the plumped up sofa. And bag of winechocolate

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:53:03

One more bumperty bump before we settle down to watching the first episode of CAPITAL to see if anyone else wants to join in with the chat.

It starts at 9pm so get settled in your chairs, sofas and chaise lounges with chocolate and wine

I have black olives, nuts and crisps.... help yourself!

sadwidow28 Tue 24-Nov-15 21:35:43

I must say that I am disappointed to see Gemma Jones playing the part of yet another dementia sufferer (brain tumour this time).

Well, I really enjoyed that.

There isn't much on tv that makes me put my crochet down.

AnnieNoMouse Tue 24-Nov-15 22:03:57

Thank you for the thread Sad. I thought that was excellent, shades of Mike Leigh.
But I was a bit confused. Was the hoodie who hacked the rich guy's computer the mystery hoodie or Gemma's grandson?

ENtertainmentAppreciated Tue 24-Nov-15 22:19:18

I watched and I don't know the book, so am intrigued.

It does feel a bit strange seeing both Gemma Jones and Adeel Akhtar again right after they appeared in series I was watching. No Nicola Walker this time though.

magimedi Tue 24-Nov-15 22:21:06

If I had not read the book (like DH) I would be really confused

And I think they are leaving out the whole bit about Micky Millar & the Nigerian footballer.

Who was it who played Petunia Howe? Am sure I have seen her as an elderly spy in some other drama???

Stellar67 Tue 24-Nov-15 22:21:22

annie I was confused about the hoodie guy too.
I enjoyed it. Will watch next week.

Stellar67 Tue 24-Nov-15 22:23:40

The season was wrong though. Leaves on trees on Christmas Eve? hmm

southeastdweller Tue 24-Nov-15 22:24:00

Haven't read the book and feeling that the story feels rushed so far with not much sense of anyone's backstory.

magimedi Tue 24-Nov-15 22:25:03

Just googled - Gemma Jones who played Petunia Howe was Connie James in Spooks - and there was another Connie in John Le Carre.........

and this could go on & on............

TheEdgeOfPhysics Tue 24-Nov-15 22:26:25

I liked the book although tongue-in-cheek stereotypes abound.

The adaptation is really clever too, but does move along fast. Had to concentrate a bit even though I'd read it. Looking forward to next week though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now