Talk

Advanced search

Cuffs

(42 Posts)
GruntledOne Sun 01-Nov-15 09:47:25

I thought there was a thread about this on here, but if there is, I can't find it.

What do we think? It seemed quite good, but I'm not too sold on their research. Whilst it's not impossible that the shopkeeper would have had a solicitor with him, it seems wildly unlikely as he was being interviewed as a witness, not a suspect. I was quite pissed off by the stereotype of the solicitor swanning around in an expensive car - with what they're paid these days, he'd be lucky if he could afford a clapped-out old mini. And would the police seriously assign a new officer to the station his father runs?

Floundering Sun 01-Nov-15 13:23:55

Mmmn yes agree with all those points, but I guess if they want to make it watchable they have to use a bit of poetic licence. smile

My main irritant was the missing child storyline, despite cutbacks I'm sure they wouldn't allocate that to a single CID officer ?? Or at very least show him checking back with some of his team/ boss? When he went steaming off to get the child, no one seemed to know, he didn't appear to have a radio in case it went tits up!!

The rest of it I thought, from my limited knowledge of the job as a (now ex ) wife of, very realistic.

I will watch how it develops with interest!

Horsemad Sun 01-Nov-15 13:29:39

I enjoyed it but agree with the points you've made! smile

The policing part seemed believable, the cockup by the rookie meaning the stinger operation going wrong, the drug addict etc. The incident in the shop was chilling, wasn't it?

I'll definitely watch again!

GruntledOne Sun 01-Nov-15 13:31:04

But how does the lazy stereotyping of the defence lawyer make it any more watchable? I get it that they may want to set him up as a pantomime villain, but that in itself is extremely lazy.

I agree completely about the missing child storyline - surely if a police officer thought he had tracked down a missing child and was going to collect her - particularly given that she could be in danger - he wouldn't dream of going on his own?

Horsemad Sun 01-Nov-15 13:43:58

Of course he wouldn't; but, 'tis TV!!

I'm sure some duty solicitors are lazy/jaundiced, so not totally unrealistic to portray him as such.

Floundering Sun 01-Nov-15 17:47:43

Bugger I posted a reply ages ago, but the www wasn't playing nicely. sigh

Will try & remember what I said!!

Defence lawyers are not liked in the job, hence the remark about hin being "the enemy"

Flash Harry was/is a young gay & presumably single young guy, so not the outgoings of your average older lawyer with family I imagine.

Just the sort to have a flash car, mind you none of the lawyers I know drive old bangers!!

GruntledOne Sun 01-Nov-15 20:54:39

I agree that some duty solicitors are lazy, but my reference to laziness referred to the writing, not the solicitors, Horseman!

Trust me, Floundering, no matter how low your outgoings are as a duty solicitor, you can't afford flash cars unless you've got rich relatives. The payment per hour often works out at less than the minimum wage.

Floundering Mon 02-Nov-15 17:39:33

Maybe he has a practice that charges a lot for other stuff?!

Not familiar with the rules, aren't duty briefs just local ones who do a stint at the station or are there legal firms specifically to cover those?

Horsemad Wed 04-Nov-15 19:07:00

Second episode tonight! smile

hairbrushbedhair Wed 04-Nov-15 20:56:02

I missed first episode, usually love bbc dramas so trying to get into it.

Is there a storyline continued through or is it like doctors with new stories each episode?

Horsemad Wed 04-Nov-15 21:14:05

Seems to be different stories each week. I really enjoyed it again.

rightsaidthread Wed 04-Nov-15 22:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davros Mon 09-Nov-15 23:08:33

I just watched the first episode and thought it was a bit naff but then really got into it. First episodes are often the weakest. It's got a great cast and I liked one of the main characters being gay but rather ordinary (as much as any copper can be!)

NathalieM Wed 11-Nov-15 17:01:00

I did enjoy the first episode, but like someone previously mentioned there is a lot of lazy stereotyping that even made me roll my eyes. I live in Brighton too, so it was great to see the city represented so well (visually at least!)

LizKeen Mon 07-Dec-15 23:43:41

Are people still watching?

I really like it. But I do wish the CID officer with the dark hair would wash his hair. So bloody greasy. grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 09-Dec-15 09:19:17

Watched since the beginning

Some episodes good. Other's rubbish

Think on 6 or 7 now

Assuming rookies mum will die soon .....

Bunbaker Wed 09-Dec-15 23:30:24

This series has really grown on me, and I am really enjoying watching it. The camaraderie between the cops reminds me of my team at work. We have great banter.

Dipankrispaneven Thu 10-Dec-15 11:45:57

I'm quite enjoying it now. Though, judging from the trailer at the end of the last episode and the fact that his love life seems to be going well, I fear that Nino may be due for a sticky end fsad

Akire Sat 12-Dec-15 00:46:00

Ive enjoyed this thought slot of aspects are much more realistic with rules although they should have explained more what they should have done.

So when old lady confused on train line they got into trouble for holding hand and pulling her off. It seems they would have prefered just watching her get smashed to peices. They tried to stop the train the failed.

Ditto young girl who got scanned with metal detector was cleared because of under wire bra-should she have done a strop search on a 17y old because theses no other way she could have checked-and most women wear bras! Just shows it to be lose lose situation.

Having said that I like way slot of detectives are on their own and doing lots of paper work much better than Lewis were its all in twos and time to go to the pub.

Horsemad Sat 12-Dec-15 08:40:21

I've been watching since episode 1 and really like it. Had missed the last 3 episodes so watched them back to back the other night, was great! smile

I'm really drawn to Felix, he's a complex character. Love watching Paul Ready play him on screen.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 13-Dec-15 23:37:55

agree seems wierd he got a bollocking for saving the woman on the line

OneMoreCasualty Mon 14-Dec-15 07:44:27

Enjoying it but one episode behind so placemarking

Samcro Mon 14-Dec-15 07:47:59

i love it, but then we spend lot of it working out where its filmed, I love the way they give roads random names.....
have to say Brighton is not as crime ridden as portrayed

Drew64 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:31:02

I'm liking it. It's grown on me

justgoandgetalife Wed 16-Dec-15 20:34:46

Ive just started watching it again having missed a few episodes. Seems to me that everyone is sleeping with everyone else & I get the impression that Brighton is being policed by a load of horny PCs too focused on their own issues to actually get any police work done! Amazed Brighton is as normal as it is with this lot looking after them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now