Talk

Advanced search

River - BBC1 Drama

(292 Posts)
fuzzpig Mon 12-Oct-15 21:36:02

Yet another crime drama heading to our screens. I'm watching heaps of shows like this at the moment. Anyone else planning to watch?

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06jkmtf

I won't be watching live but will try to get on catch up ASAP. Looks intriguing.

2rebecca Tue 13-Oct-15 20:30:28

Nicola Walker's having a good month

firefly78 Tue 13-Oct-15 21:18:22

im watching. anyone else?

PseudoBadger Tue 13-Oct-15 21:21:15

It's interesting

HelenaDove Tue 13-Oct-15 21:26:23

A VERY modern twist on Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

IndridCold Tue 13-Oct-15 21:31:49

I was thinking it was more Nordic Calvin and Hobbes!

buddhasbelly Tue 13-Oct-15 21:41:52

I'm watching. Lots of crime dramas starting for the autumn season, keeping me busy.

Quite strange when a new character appears im wondering is this a dead person or alive (usually clarified within a minute or 2!)

buddhasbelly Tue 13-Oct-15 21:42:36

Oh and I had to go and look up the Lambeth poisoner, he was a rather nasty man by all accounts!

RomComPhooey Tue 13-Oct-15 21:46:50

I missed the first 10 min - came in as his colleague (the one that turned out to be dead) was telling him he needed a holiday. Did I miss much? Is it worth going back to watch it on demand?

buddhasbelly Tue 13-Oct-15 21:57:59

Shows the close relationship he had with his deceased colleague.

I'm quite liking this, think it will be a promising series.

MajesticWhine Tue 13-Oct-15 22:01:15

That was quite upsetting and weird. quite good though. I think you can manage without the first 10 mins RomCom.

HelenaDove Tue 13-Oct-15 22:01:43

I amend what i said to Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) crossed with The Sixth Sense.

HelenaDove Tue 13-Oct-15 22:03:17

Agree it looks promising. Quite poignant him hanging her last banana milkshake container on the wall.

shggg245 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:03:42

I thought it was quirky with some funny one liners - good cast and well acted. Quite interesting.

shggg245 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:06:00

Ps think Nicola Walker is very attractive and totally watchable in everything she does.

Bakeoffcake Tue 13-Oct-15 22:19:37

Gosh that was different.

I really wasnt sure to start with but by the end thought it was excellent.

BobandKate0 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:51:15

Was nice to see miss walker smile ,i didn't realise she had teeth.
But i did have trouble following what case he was working on,guess it doesn't matter ,as its more about his chats with ghosts - which is a pity as i feel like i have seen this type of show before.
Call me stupid,but what was the room with the singing along all about - is it some trendy place that is all the rage ?

sadwidow28 Wed 14-Oct-15 00:38:49

I'll watch it on catch-up and give it a try. Insomnia is not very nice - and the dog gets sick of being walked yet again grin

Thanks for the recommendation.

fuzzpig Wed 14-Oct-15 01:07:18

Ah, sympathies on the insomnia! I'm having a bad run of it myself.

I've got some child free time tomorrow though so I will be watching it online while hibernating, as I don't have a hope in hell of following a plot at this time of night grin

I also just remembered Jekyll and Hyde is starting on ITV soon which looked great from the adverts. I'm still plodding along through the BBC classics adaptations though. In the last few weeks I've gone from watching no actual TV to following loads of series.

I remember my parents watching Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).

sadwidow28 Wed 14-Oct-15 02:08:22

Okay, I've watched the 1st episode. I am not invested in the characters yet - but I think I have got the premise.

John River's police colleague Jackie "Stevie" Stevenson has been murdered. River is assigned to the case but he is not emotionally or mentally stable. He has a vested interest to bring the murderer(s) to justice because of his close friendship with Stevie. But as River pursues the case - he will find out things about Jackie "Stevie" that don't fit with his understanding of his best friend/colleague.

Is that right?

sadwidow28 Wed 14-Oct-15 02:13:21

I'll post this link to the River characters here so we can refer back if we need to:

River Characters: Meet the figures, both alive and dead, that fill the world of Detective John River

member Wed 14-Oct-15 03:46:16

Bloody Tina Charles song as a middle of the night ear worm!! You're right sadwidow except that he's not assigned to the case to find Stevie's killer.

NoahVale Wed 14-Oct-15 06:56:54

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/oct/13/river-bbc-skarsgard-season-one-episode-one

I like a good guardian review. the writer above appears to have loved. I did enjoy it. it was slow going though but I got into it eventually

2rebecca Wed 14-Oct-15 07:33:07

Not my thing. More troubled angst ridden cops. Keep the ghosts in Doctor who.

NoahVale Wed 14-Oct-15 07:37:10

I think it is mental health issues causing the ghosts here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now