Talk

Advanced search

How funny is homes under the hammer!

(27 Posts)
Etak15 Mon 12-Oct-15 10:13:22

I love it how they link the music into what the presenter has said, this morning they're in a really damp house he pulled some wallpaper off they played a song that went 'can I strip for you baby' I'm laughing my socks of here!

BinToHellAndBack Mon 12-Oct-15 11:04:31

Haven't seen in a couple of years now but the music linking thing always made me chuckle! Actually the whole show was oddly entertaining in a 'so bad, it's good' sort of way grin

BeckerLleytonNever Tue 13-Oct-15 17:33:27

Dc and I love that show! the presenters are so cheesy, always leaning on each other and everything round them!

martin is hilarious.

and yes, the accompanying songs are very clever.

Watto1 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:35:35

I love it! This morning they were in a house that was in a terrible state. The accompanying music was 'Rip it up and start again!'

Mintyy Tue 13-Oct-15 17:36:56

Love Homes Under The Hammer! Hardly ever get to see it now as I work mornings sad.

Martin is the campest presenter on tv and Lucy talks like she's got a rocket stuck somewhere the sun don't shine most of the time.

I think they've got a third presenter now? It's obviously incredibly popular.

exWifebeginsat40 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:37:24

and keep an ear out for them sneaking rude words in during the links.

BeautifulLiar Tue 13-Oct-15 17:38:56

Martin is hilarious... just so animated!

Watto1 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:39:10

Apparently, there's a Homes Under The Hammer drinking game. When one of the presenters rips off wallpaper you take a swig of your drink and when Martin breaks something you have to down it!

VulcanWoman Tue 13-Oct-15 17:47:25

Yes, the songs are funny, there's a song for everything it seems.
I can't see the point of the new presenter what so ever, just don't get it.
The Man and Woman are married I think.
They're are supposedly property developers but I saw a program where Martin was supervising his Dads kitchen makeover, he didn't fill me with confidence lets just put it that way.

Mintyy Tue 13-Oct-15 19:08:39

I imagine the third presenter is needed because Martin and Lucy are too busy to film 2 out of the 3 segments on a regular basis?

They aren't married! Or even a couple.

usual Tue 13-Oct-15 19:17:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsleomcgary Wed 14-Oct-15 20:36:28

When i was on maternity leave I got into HUTH in a big way. Looking forward to second mat leave starting in 7weeks so I can fall into the black hole again.

There is indeed a drinking game,will try to find a link.

mrsleomcgary Wed 14-Oct-15 20:39:23

The HUTH drinking game aka how to get pissed by 10.30am

tweeterandy1982.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/homes-under-hammer-bingodrinking-game.html?m=1

Elledouble Wed 14-Oct-15 20:42:20

I saw one a few months ago where one of the houses was in a little village near Warwick called Hatton. They accompanied it with "You Can Leave Your Hat On" by Tom Jones hmm

Etak15 Wed 14-Oct-15 20:42:21

I'm feeling jealous Mrsleo my maternity and huth habit is about 7 weeks from ending!

Fantasyland Thu 15-Oct-15 20:12:14

Love homes under the hammer, i wonder if martin ever has to pay for his damages? he just pulls at stuff and it crumbles or breaks shock

Has anyone ever seen a home bought and done up and it hasn't paid off?
Don't think that's ever happened .

I do hate some of the smug people who go on it though and prefer the ones where people are buying as their own home

Mintyy Thu 15-Oct-15 20:19:01

Agree! I always feel a huge sense of relief when someone buys the house to live in.

I'm sure we see quite a few of the country's rogue landlords on HUTH. You know the type - they already have a "portfolio" of BTL properties, then they buy some crumbling derelict terrace in Burnley or somewhere for £80,000 and spend £3,000 botching it up. You feel positively awful for the families who are going to end up living there.

Izzabellasasperella Sun 25-Oct-15 07:33:33

I used to love this show it has got a bit samey now. I really don't like it when someone buys a house and says oh the markets not good right now we will rent it out for a year and then sell. It makes me feel sorry for the families moving in only to have to move out again so quickly.
I saw an episode once where a lady brought a shop at Auction for her daughter but she couldn't raise the money to complete so she lost quite a bit of money.

BeckerLleytonNever Sun 25-Oct-15 17:31:17

the annoying thing about it is when they go back and see a place 6 months/a year/ etc later and the owners haven't finished! wait till they finish! we want to see the result!

Nettletheelf Sun 25-Oct-15 21:09:21

That Martin bloke reminds me of a giant, slightly drunk, Tiny Tears doll. It's the hair. Watch him and tell me that I'm wrong.

scarlets Sun 25-Oct-15 21:30:48

I like Martin and Lucy very much. The ex footballer is a bit wooden. I read somewhere that Lucy wanted to spend fewer days filming in order to spend more time with her daughter, who's been unwell, so I suppose the third presenter came in then.

BlueBananas Sun 25-Oct-15 21:34:09

My DP has been on Homes Under the Hammer, in fact his episode has been shown again this week apparently smile

Preminstreltension Sun 25-Oct-15 21:44:51

I like the new guy. I guess since Lucy basically does London and the SE, Martin needed some help covering the whole of the rest of the country grin. And since he has seen and commented on virtually every two up two down terraced house in the country, maybe he was getting a bit jaded.

cheapskatemum Sun 25-Oct-15 22:23:17

I saw one once where the buyer had made a loss Fantasyland. He was a Polish guy & took it philosophically. I thought at the time that maybe people from the UK who make a loss are too embarrassed to have to admit it on TV where they'll be seen by friends and family, so they decline to have their experience shown on the programme.

I'm doing care work at the moment, so catch the odd episode. I used to watch avidly when SAHM & kids were at school, but I think by definition it gets samey after a while. I've always enjoyed the musical puns though smile

BoomChickenSoup Sun 25-Oct-15 22:35:02

I'm pretty sure they fudge those figures to make it seem like bigger profits have been made. I don't think they reveal the full extent of taxes and bills being paid. After all the whole point of the show is to convince people that buying at auction is a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now