Talk

Advanced search

Cider with Rosie

(24 Posts)
shutupanddance Sun 27-Sep-15 22:11:42

Anyone watch?

BitOfFun Sun 27-Sep-15 23:09:23

I've got it on Catch Up now. Was it good? Please say it was. I read the book at school and loved it.

Pranmasghost Sun 27-Sep-15 23:19:31

I watched it and loved it though it was very condensed.

Nettletheelf Sun 27-Sep-15 23:25:41

Loved it, and thought that it was well cast.

puddingisgood Mon 28-Sep-15 08:44:37

I thought it was by far the worst of this series of dramas! Really disappointing, not great acting, overall dull. Loved the others.

OllyBJolly Mon 28-Sep-15 08:53:49

Another disappointed here. Read the book as a teen and loved it. I really got drawn in to it whereas the drama didn't engage me at all.

shutupanddance Mon 28-Sep-15 09:29:46

It was slow to start but by the end I loved it, can't stop thinking about it.

shutupanddance Mon 28-Sep-15 09:30:08

I want to read the book.

OnlyLovers Mon 28-Sep-15 10:41:38

I've got it all lined up to watch. Mixed opinions here!

pudding, what series is it part of? Do you mean along with Lady Chatterley's Lover and An Inspector Calls?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 28-Sep-15 12:36:17

In two minds whether to see it. I haven't read it for ages so it's interesting reading what you thought of the tv adaptation. Our first or second year English class read it at school - very intense descriptions, maybe I misremember but puzzled when hear people talk fondly of the rustic idyll portrayed. No spoilers am pretty sure that nature was often cruel and there was a fair bit of violence...

Clawdy Mon 28-Sep-15 13:21:02

The producer said in an interview they were determined not to use stage school kids,so did a successfull trawl of local schools. Then I saw Rosie was played by Ruby Serbia. ....daughter of two very well known actors. hmm

Clawdy Mon 28-Sep-15 13:22:19

Serkis not Serbia!!

Liomsa Mon 28-Sep-15 13:25:25

I only saw the end, but I think a problem is that the memoir doesn't have a plot as such, and it's not narrated consecutively, but in themed chapters, so it's awkward to film, because you have to impose some kind of consecutive order on events. I thought Timothy Spall's voiceover was the best bit.

BitOfFun Mon 28-Sep-15 13:26:39

I have to say I was disappointed and bailed after twenty minutes. It relied too heavily on voiceover- understandable, I suppose, when you are dealing with the internal monologue of a young child- which really slowed the pace to a crawl. It didn't help either that it was being narrated in a soothing elderly rasp- I felt like I was being lulled to sleep.

Alfieisnoisy Mon 28-Sep-15 17:26:56

I adore this book and liked the previous dramatisation with Juliette Stevenson (think that's her name).
This one just didn't do it for me, too much switching back and forth between ages.
Thought the scene about the murder really confusing, no real lead up beyond an overseen row in the pub. No real explanation which could have been done if they'd left out the stuff which wasn't in the book....Rosie skinny dipping for example didn't take place in the book.

They tried to cram too much in and fluffed it imho.

It needs to be a whole series to do it justice.

Doesn't help that I've been listening to the audiobook read by Laurie Lee recently. There's so much in the book they could have added and stuff not in the book they could have left out.

I liked the scenery, I liked the music, I liked the actors but it was all a bit lacking despite that and I was disappointed.

BlueChampagne Mon 28-Sep-15 20:35:19

Loved the book and used to live in Stroud valleys. Have it recorded ...

wideboy26 Tue 29-Sep-15 19:31:41

We got bored after about an hour and agreed to give up on it and watch it again some other time. Compared to the book it was a disappointment, I agree.

Girlfriend36 Tue 29-Sep-15 21:47:46

Am surprised to see some of these comments, I never got on with the book but loved the programme. Thought it was very moving and cried a few times, also thought it gave a really true picture of life back then.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 30-Sep-15 00:00:13

I liked it too, especially some of the casting. Granny Trill was spookily like my mother-in-law.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 30-Sep-15 13:24:51

Finally watched it last night, the cottage looked rather tidier brighter and in better condition than I expected and the senior 'schoolchildren' looked mature for the era but I rather enjoyed the whole production.

I liked Samantha Morton's singing too.

(Funny seeing the actress who played Mrs Meldrew!).

automaticnamechangegenerator Wed 30-Sep-15 13:33:19

I thought the young Laurie (who was supposed to be 3 or 4 years old) was not great casting - he looked older than his brother Jack who is supposed to be older than him.

DD's school had a letter home about auditions but they started their "trawl" after the schools had broken up for the holidays. I don't know any local children who were in it.

Actually, the little girl who played Frances is a local girl, but is the daughter of a famous actor anyway...

automaticnamechangegenerator Wed 30-Sep-15 13:34:43

(Oh and as a local, the signpost at "Bulls Cross" is totally wrong. All the pointers are pointing in the wrong direction (DH noticed that). i.e. Stroud and Slad are shown in opposite directions whereas from Bull's Cross they are the same direction. There's a perfectly good signpost up there that they could have used!

diddl Wed 30-Sep-15 19:56:45

The girl who played Frances is very like her mum, isn't she?

EachandEveryone Mon 19-Oct-15 20:01:33

I just watched it. Absolutely loved it. So nice to see Samantha Morton again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now