Talk

Advanced search

Wentworth Prison

(28 Posts)
MyBeloved Wed 23-Sep-15 23:45:24

Anyone else watching? I have watched both series' and am really enjoying them. The governor is a complete psychopath!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 23-Sep-15 23:54:10

No. Not seen it yet. I loved the old Prisoner cell block H though. Used to watch it as a kid.
I remember them all
Lizzie Birdsworth
Bea Smith
Frankie
Vinegar tits
The freak
Judy Bryant
Mum
To name just a few. Are they still in it. I doubt it. Lizzie would be about 300 years old nowgrin

MyBeloved Thu 24-Sep-15 00:26:58

It's the back stories of all the characters so they are all much younger. It's really good and I recommend it.

I was a huge prisoner cell block h fan and was really pleased that Wentworth did the characters justice.

No wobbly sets though!

LittleRedSparke Tue 29-Sep-15 21:42:04

its very good - very dark and gritty

its the characters are younger, and its about their starting stories, but its set in todays world.... bit odd to get your head around, but wow!! love it (and yes i watched the orignal and loved that too)

BloodyDogHairs Wed 30-Sep-15 11:57:16

I only discovered it a few months ago and ended up watching all the season 1,2 and 3 within weeks! I was only little when it was 1st on telly but I remember being allowed up to watch some episodes.

MyBeloved Wed 30-Sep-15 12:41:27

Still waiting for Vera to turn into what she was in the original series.I expect her hep c will definitely change her way with the women further.

I also wonder how much further the governor can go. The actress who plays her is brilliant.

SavoyCabbage Wed 30-Sep-15 12:47:33

It's Wentworth Detention Centre.

I'm a ridiculous Prisoner Cell Block H fan. In fact I live where I live so I can drive past the original Wentworth! <too far>

MyBeloved Wed 30-Sep-15 22:01:57

Here we go!

ButterflyUpSoHigh Wed 30-Sep-15 22:45:16

Loving it so far. Ferguson is great so scary.

I am too young for the old prisoner but have found them in youtube I am up to episode 70 so far.

PaintedTshirt Wed 30-Sep-15 23:40:50

Omg, someone help that poor baby! I can't watch!!

Lilaclily Wed 30-Sep-15 23:49:04

I'm watching
Never realised Wentworth based on original series blush

MyNameIsAlexDrake Thu 01-Oct-15 00:12:51

Oh my, that was amazing! Don't want to post any spoilers so quickly but that was a brilliant bit of TV. Roll on series 3!

Lilaclily - I wouldn't say it was based on the original Prisoner Cell Block H, more inspired by. While some of the characters share the same name as those in the original and some have similar roles within the prison, that's where the similarity ends. I learned that quickly when Meg Jackson got iced in series 1!

TheoriginalLEM Thu 01-Oct-15 00:18:32

yes its quite different. i must admit to a bit of a girly crush on frankie doyle.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 01-Oct-15 00:19:34

i think there were alot of holes in the story line though.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 01-Oct-15 00:21:35

who remembers the original theme tune?

this is a bit embarrassing but my dp's nickname for me is bea smith shock

MyNameIsAlexDrake Thu 01-Oct-15 00:35:52

I'm sure there are some holes but I thought it tied up nicely? Which ones Theoriginal?

The original was on TV when I was still at school. It was on Sunday & Monday nights late. My Mum used to tape them for me and I'd watch before school smile

He used to give me roses, I wish he could again...

MyBeloved Thu 01-Oct-15 00:57:06

...but that was on the outsideeee, and things were different then ;)

Prisoner evenings every Thursday with friends. Priceless.

Can't wait for series 3. Do you think that Ferguson will end up on H wing?

SavoyCabbage Thu 01-Oct-15 02:34:21

We built our world together, with a love so clear and strong

Mrs Jackson's husband was stabbed in the first episode of Prisoner though. My favourite thing about Prisoner was the fast paced story lines. If it was getting a bit slow, they bunged in a series killer or fired up a riot.

Miss Ferguson might end up 'on the inside'. Mrs jackson did so they can't do that with Mr Jackson!

SavoyCabbage Thu 01-Oct-15 02:35:03

seriel killer.....there was no series killer as every moment was GOLD!!!grin

differentnameforthis Thu 01-Oct-15 03:56:16

It's not necessarily the back stories of old characters when they were younger.

They have changed it around a bit, so while they do have some similarities, it is very different.

For instance, Bea was originally in for killing someone else (her dh had an affair & she killed/attempted to kill the woman, I believe) yet this time it is for attempting to kill her husband.

Also, Doreen is aboriginal in this, and she wasn't in the original series.

Meg was never the Governor, and Vera is far too nice. Erica [Davidson - the original Governor] is a lawyer/advocate.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Thu 01-Oct-15 06:50:27

That was series 3 it's series 4 next.

Bill Jackson didn't die during the first episode of Prisoner he was in it quite a few episodes first.

RitaConnors Thu 01-Oct-15 07:47:57

He died in the third episode. In the same way as Meg in a riot.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 01-Oct-15 08:28:09

Yes, there are some differences. Doreen had quite severe learning difficulties in the first series, and whilst the new Doreen is a softer character than the others she is not uneducated. Frankie was a horror in the first series and really had no redeeming qualities. In this series she has plenty wink

So do we think the governer will be "on the inside?" how cool would that be?

Holes? well maybe i missed something but why was Ferguson trying to kill that prison officer (can't remember his name blush)

In an episode a few weeks back the psych woman met up with vera and said she would expose the governer but nothing came of it (or did it - it is on quite late......).

Why would they have let that woman anywhere NEAR doreen's baby with her record?

I do feel a bit bereft that this series has finished sad

BloodyDogHairs Thu 01-Oct-15 09:46:06

I watched it online but watched again last night, what channel 5 didn't show once it finished was a clip of Season 4 where it showed Ferguson in a padded cell wearing a straight jacket.

Apparently she's locked in a mental hospital but is still seeking revenge. The promo photo had Bea, Frankie, Bridget and the woman from the red right group or whatever it's called.

MyBeloved Thu 01-Oct-15 14:15:17

Oh yes! Governor Ferguson on the inside please!

I agree they have changed the characters for this series. Will be interesting if Erica 'the queen' Davidson takes over Wentworth now...

I still remember Harold from Neighbours was some kind of prison advisor too :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now